NTers paying back loans: How do you afford the finer things in life?

1k a month for 8 years? Damn man that sucks. That's why I'm glad I went to a community college first. When I was accepted into a Cal State, they wanted a couple grand immediately. Considering that was in 2010, and I'm still a few semesters away from getting my AA, I'd be in stupid dept if I went there.

Thank Based God for Community College :D  
Cal State is good and can be as useful as a UC if you apply yourself. Biggest difference is obviously the alumni and networking. I almost finished my undergrad from scholarships. Not sure what the costs are now but it was around $2k per semester back when I started in 2003.

Community college on the other hand...I see some of the most expensive cars in there :lol: also great to complete all the transferable classes to keep costs down. I also saw a lot of the same ole cats from HS that skipped school going there just so they can say they're in school.

My roomate when I was in grad school had over 250K in loans to pay....

Owing 70k isnt a joke. My wife owes 30k

Dang right..... Like 5k of those loans is in rehab and I pay $25 a month then i will consolidate with the rest.. Man you need to learn the loopholes and rules with these loans. Its kind of screwed up how much i owe.. 70k. I dont even know how it got that high or WTF happen. I think the private school was signing my name on loans

I mean really nothing I can do unless i hit the lottery. Loan will probably never get paid off. I just continue to use the options they offer and loopholes. Really creditors dont look at student loans as much. I never had a problem getting some credit such as cars and other stuff. I focus on other things on my credit besides the students loans. Try to do the best i can.

I dont keep my money in my private account, well not much,most of my money is under my business. I really dont trust banks anyways

I might claim bankrupt if i can get a good lawyer to include those loans. I know sometimes some of the loans can be forgiving. If they would wipe all my intreset and forgive half of the loan which is probably like 10 years old to get me down to 30k i would have no problem repaying

Dude something isn't adding up. You were in the Android thread just last week trying to floss your money saying how much you have in the bank and whatever but now your in here saying how you can't pay back your loans. Something isn't adding up, think your full of ****. Talking about needing to hit the lottery to pay your loans off, while in another thread you are talking about living a meager lifestyle with several hundred k in the bank and taking out 2k cash everyday as play money. Gold St Capital #2 right here folks.

Dude something isn't adding up. You were in the Android thread just last week trying to floss your money saying how much you have in the bank and whatever but now your in here saying how you can't pay back your loans. Something isn't adding up, think your full of ****. Talking about needing to hit the lottery to pay your loans off, while in another thread you are talking about living a meager lifestyle with several hundred k in the bank and taking out 2k cash everyday as play money. Gold St Capital #2 right here folks.

MjPopcorn.gif

If you got debt but still want to have the finer things while paying it off, it's time to drastically increase your means.

It's illegal now to file for bankruptcy bc of student loan debt
**** aint like it used to be- man in the 70's you could get a ****** Ph.D and with alllll that debt, file bankruptcy, get it wiped out-- bang bang

if you do AmeriCorps for a year you get a 5,600$ education award to pay past or future student loans-- also puts current loans in forbearance
and your college will wipe out either 30% or 70% of your Perkins Loans (I forget which it is)

EDIT: statue of limitations on loans in cALI IS FOUR YEARS BROS :pimp: WERE ALL GUNNA MAKE IT

... SOT in Ohio, you ask? ....... 15 years, b. 15 ******* years :lol: :smh:

That's private loans not fed. Fed have no limit.

I hope you're a doctor, or have a masters in something! I've chopped my student loan down, I have about $3000 left. You could knock that out sooner if you tighten up on things.

Also if they happen to take your taxes, depending on your finances you can get it right back by filing a appeal with IRS and loan company. If your in hardship they will return the money.. I did this before yeaaars ago. They took 4k. I filed a appeal and they returned all my 4k back to me

Hmmm I will have to look into this. I have Federal student loans and they definitely hit my taxes this year, even though I started paying them back this past September.

Last edited:
Finished undergrad about three years ago with $100k in debt (federal and private). Paying about $1,250 a month right now and have gotten down to about $50k.

I just figured out that the best way to pay them off is to pay minimums on everything and pay extra on the loan with the highest interest rate until it's gone. And paying every day to reduce interest accrued. I'm also starting to put my bonuses, tax returns, and any extra income I can find toward them. Wish I had been doing it that way for the past three years.

I don't really afford the finer things - the only thing I spend extra money on is homebrewing and the occasional bomber of good beer.

Also if they happen to take your taxes, depending on your finances you can get it right back by filing a appeal with IRS and loan company. If your in hardship they will return the money.. I did this before yeaaars ago. They took 4k. I filed a appeal and they returned all my 4k back to me

Hmmm I will have to look into this. I have Federal student loans and they definitely hit my taxes this year, even though I started paying them back this past September.

Doesn't apply to federal loans. Uncle Sam gon get his no matter what

Last edited:
i'm paying $525 a month ... plan to pay off my loan in 6.5 years ... so sad ... that money can be used to do so much more with. but i will be done with them eventually ... it's a real pain but the loans got me a good enough job where i can buy some nice things from time to time.

Uncle Sam and his goons garnishing 105 per check and took ya boy taxes last year and this year. I called and they said I have to pay a additional 65 per month for 8 months to get outta garnishment and I can just pay the 65 until debt is paid. It was like 9k but after this year n a half it's probably like 6-7 so idk. I was about to cough up that 65 so by the end of the year I can ball out and owe like 5 something and eventually pay it off when I get it to 3k.

Pay 5000 a month towards student loans minimum payment is around 3500 give or take a few hundred. Payed 21k last month and still have a loooong ways to go

Pay 5000 a month towards student loans minimum payment is around 3500 give or take a few hundred. Payed 21k last month and still have a loooong ways to go
Do you mind me asking what you do for a living? 5 stacks a month torward student loans that's amazing , nobody replied to my post but I pay 10$ a month :lol:

graduated in 06 with 42gs in debt... now in 2014 still got 34 left but will be paid off next month in full... i got the money to pay it off in full but my parents agreed to pay half... regardless feels good to have that off my hands :pimp:

Strong username to post ratio. :pimp:

I have a little less than 30K in debt. I pay for my finer things by hustling on the side, usually freelance computer work.

:rofl: I called this cat out a while ago. Just gotta laugh and shake your head.

Son works at Apple, owns a "business" reselling no-label products from China, has 200k+ in the bank and takes out 2K a day to "play" with.

Yet, he has 70K in loans, can't afford to pay them with his job at Apple OR his own business, but its cool because he's also a tax and loan expert in addition to being well versed in business, marketing. and computer networking?

:smh: :rofl:

Last edited:
Do you mind me asking what you do for a living? 5 stacks a month torward student loans that's amazing , nobody replied to my post but I pay 10$ a month :lol:

He's a doctor. As long as I'm still unmarried without kids when I finish I plan on doing something similar

And here I'm stressing about my 5k loan. Ya in the 30-40k?! I'm a little happy i'm taking a break from college.

Kinda off topic but I've always said if things get really bad I'm maxing out all cards, selling what I buy and bringing the cash to a 3rd world country to live like a king lol.

Is that possible? :nerd:

Last edited:
Kinda off topic but I've always said if things get really bad I'm maxing out all cards, selling what I buy and bringing the cash to a 3rd world country to live like a king lol.

Is that possible? :nerd:

Yes, but if you take out an extreme amount they might go after you. Also, they check for this kind of activity when you apply for Visas so you'd have to be really smart about it.

If you move overseas, your credit history in the United States typically has no bearing since other countries have their own systems for judging borrowers' credit worthiness.

But if you don't pay your credit card debt and a lawsuit is served and filed before you move overseas, it would move forward in your absence. However, that court would likely not be able to force you to pay the debt once you've relocated to another country, though creditors might be able to go after any loose ends you've left in the United States. They could seize your accounts, or garnish your wages if you're still employed by the U.S. somehow (you prolly wouldn't be though).

If a lawsuit has not been filed before you move overseas, then a company is owed a debt, they have to bring suit in a foreign country's court of law and abide by their rules and procedures. They have to hire counsel where you're at though and it can be hard to locate someone to do that. And it's expensive so the cost of doing this will deter most credit card companies and junk debt buyers. If it's not a huge amount then they will likely not go after you.

Companies could also file a U.S. suit against a person living abroad, but that company's success would depend on the country's legal system and whether it would cooperate with the United States.

Last edited:
Yes, but if you take out an extreme amount they might go after you. Also, they check for this kind of activity when you apply for Visas so you'd have to be really smart about it.

If you move overseas, your credit history in the United States typically has no bearing since other countries have their own systems for judging borrowers' credit worthiness.

But if you don't pay your credit card debt and a lawsuit is served and filed before you move overseas, it would move forward in your absence. However, that court would likely not be able to force you to pay the debt once you've relocated to another country, though creditors might be able to go after any loose ends you've left in the United States. They could seize your accounts, or garnish your wages if you're still employed by the U.S. somehow (you prolly wouldn't be though).

If a lawsuit has not been filed before you move overseas, then a company is owed a debt, they have to bring suit in a foreign country's court of law and abide by their rules and procedures. They have to hire counsel where you're at though and it can be hard to locate someone to do that. And it's expensive so the cost of doing this will deter most credit card companies and junk debt buyers. If it's not a huge amount then they will likely not go after you.

Companies could also file a U.S. suit against a person living abroad, but that company's success would depend on the country's legal system and whether it would cooperate with the United States.

So......... You're saying there's a chance......? :nerd:

I really think I'm getting jerked
I'm looking at my statements and whatnot and it seems as if my payments have been going half to interest/half to principal
My loans that I took out came out to 88k..and they have me on a payment plan where I would have payed 153k after I pay for 15 years...something isn't adding up

Back
Top Bottom