NT, You're on the jury...

[font=le-havre-fixed-mac-metrics-1, le-havre-fixed-mac-metrics-2, sans-serif]
[/font]

[h1]Where Does Self Defense End? Killer of Robber Convicted of Murder[/h1]
Hamilton Nolan�—�In May of 2009, Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland was at work when two teenagers came in to rob his store. What happens is caught on the surveillance video above:

1. Two teens burst into the store, one of them waving a gun.
2. Ersland shoots at them. The one with the gun runs out the door; the other is hit and falls.
3. Ersland exits the store in pursuit of the fleeing robber. Failing to catch him, he comes back into the store.
4. Ersland walks back behind the counter and retrieves a second gun.
5. Ersland walks back to where the fallen robber is, leans down, and shoots him multiple times, killing him.

Yesterday, Ersland was�found guilty of first-degree murder. He faces life in prison. The case has divided public opinion along perfectly predictable lines. So we're just going to leave that set of facts right there, and you can all say what you think.

Personally, I think what he did was nothing short of a barbaric �execution - while in a state of temporary insanity. I would argue that he should have been found guilty on second-degree murder, but i do see the case being made for first-degree.�

[font=le-havre-fixed-mac-metrics-1, le-havre-fixed-mac-metrics-2, sans-serif]
[/font]

[h1]Where Does Self Defense End? Killer of Robber Convicted of Murder[/h1]
Hamilton Nolan�—�In May of 2009, Oklahoma City pharmacist Jerome Ersland was at work when two teenagers came in to rob his store. What happens is caught on the surveillance video above:

1. Two teens burst into the store, one of them waving a gun.
2. Ersland shoots at them. The one with the gun runs out the door; the other is hit and falls.
3. Ersland exits the store in pursuit of the fleeing robber. Failing to catch him, he comes back into the store.
4. Ersland walks back behind the counter and retrieves a second gun.
5. Ersland walks back to where the fallen robber is, leans down, and shoots him multiple times, killing him.

Yesterday, Ersland was�found guilty of first-degree murder. He faces life in prison. The case has divided public opinion along perfectly predictable lines. So we're just going to leave that set of facts right there, and you can all say what you think.

Personally, I think what he did was nothing short of a barbaric �execution - while in a state of temporary insanity. I would argue that he should have been found guilty on second-degree murder, but i do see the case being made for first-degree.�

It's obviously cold blooded murder.

Shooting an unarmed wounded human being is murder regardless of what transpired before hand.

Just because others act like criminals doesn't give you the right to do the same.

It's obviously cold blooded murder.

Shooting an unarmed wounded human being is murder regardless of what transpired before hand.

Just because others act like criminals doesn't give you the right to do the same.

He didn't do anything wrong until he shot the kid while he was already wounded and defenseless laying on the floor. THAT is not self defense, THAT is murder. Shooting a robber who runs into your store with a gun, thats self defense.

He didn't do anything wrong until he shot the kid while he was already wounded and defenseless laying on the floor. THAT is not self defense, THAT is murder. Shooting a robber who runs into your store with a gun, thats self defense.

Exactly, he went from defending his life and property to executing another human being in a matter of minutes.

Exactly, he went from defending his life and property to executing another human being in a matter of minutes.

People who say not guilty have absolutely zero legal background and that is a fact. This isn't even debatable.

People who say not guilty have absolutely zero legal background and that is a fact. This isn't even debatable.

I am all for self defense even if it leads to death, but can't argue with the decision. The fact that he came back in the store and gets a second gun to shoot the robber multiples time is hard to defend.

I am all for self defense even if it leads to death, but can't argue with the decision. The fact that he came back in the store and gets a second gun to shoot the robber multiples time is hard to defend.

he was wrong but i'd be pissed as hell too. 

like you wanna try and pull a gun on me and shoot at me? dude didn't hesitate to try and end his life so eff him is what i would be thinking.  i probably wouldn't do any better.

he was wrong but i'd be pissed as hell too. 

like you wanna try and pull a gun on me and shoot at me? dude didn't hesitate to try and end his life so eff him is what i would be thinking.  i probably wouldn't do any better.

He murdered him.

The self-defense argument isn't as black and white as some people think... he shot him initially in self-defense, then he came back in full control and without being in danger and killed him.

It's unfortunate that this man was put in this predicament, but as a gun owner he should have better knowledge of the law and he wasn't in danger when he came back to the guy.

He murdered him.

The self-defense argument isn't as black and white as some people think... he shot him initially in self-defense, then he came back in full control and without being in danger and killed him.

It's unfortunate that this man was put in this predicament, but as a gun owner he should have better knowledge of the law and he wasn't in danger when he came back to the guy.

after the other suspect fled, and the one robber was wounded in the store, he was no longer defending himself. dude defended the fast break, got a steal, and turned it to offense real quick by executing the kid laying on the floor wounded. to be honest, he shouldn't have even ran outside the store to chase the other one.

Back
Top Bottom