NT, what is your experience with gourmet food trucks and do you see them staying relevant?

Senor Sisig
Seoul on Wheels
Curry Up Now

Off the Grid
pimp.gif

I used to love food trucks. They would line up in the valley and I would take my wife and daughter and go try them out. Honestly it seems like its oversaturated and some of the trucks are just not that good for there price. Also trucks should have a sampler menu in place so you can try without wasting 10 bucks on crap you dont want. The last time I went I would go straight where I wanted I stopped trying out because it got expensive.

There here to stay just not as many as there are right now.

Living in LA is being in food truck paradise.

I don't think they are going anywhere. If anything, it's still growing IMO.

Kogi was the first truck I tried. My favorites are Kogi, Waffles de liege, Lomo Arigato, Grill em all, and the greek food truck is bananas!

RIP to the Nacho Truck. They had some amazing stuff.

wan't my advice...stay open late and close to a popular club/area...i've had some food trucks/carts absolutely save my life when i've been stumbling around drunk at 2 in the morning...it's usually those cheap Mexican spots, but i would kill for some gourmet @@+# on those nights...

They are worth it depending on the trucks. My go tos are kogi, Waffles de Liege, white rabbit and a couple more

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

wan't my advice...stay open late and close to a popular club/area...i've had some food trucks/carts absolutely save my life when i've been stumbling around drunk at 2 in the morning...it's usually those cheap Mexican spots, but i would kill for some gourmet @@+# on those nights...

For sure. The only problem is parking is so closely regulated now... and food trucks have moved to a lot-centric business.

I'll keep an eye out for some potential spots though. I know DTLA is nice on a Friday evening but parking is a killer.

I live in socal and the food trucks gather around my work for lunch every friday. To me these food truck are a bit over price, last week lunch cost me $16 for a teriyaki burrito, a drink and some fries. I admit it was good but not worth restaurant pricing.

Originally Posted by caleekicks

Living in LA is being in food truck paradise.

I don't think they are going anywhere. If anything, it's still growing IMO.

Kogi was the first truck I tried. My favorites are Kogi, Waffles de liege, Lomo Arigato, Grill em all, and the greek food truck is bananas!

RIP to the Nacho Truck. They had some amazing stuff.
Sort of want.

pics on their site looks so tempting

Kogi was my first food truck
Short rib burrito, taco and Milkis...
pimp.gif

I tried the Grilled Cheese truck... not worth it.

For my Filipino NT'ers in LA, Go to Curbside Cravings. THe Tapa and Tocino Burger.
they use Hawaiian bread as the buns and the Lechon Kawali.

Some food trucks will stay while the others will be left in the dust.

Has anyone tried EGGSLUT?
283471_256816971011491_599786_n.jpg

Food trucks are cool. I stop at them in Boston in South Station on Fridays a lot for lunch. Generally cheap and really good.

My friend is actually moving to Seattle in July to open up a bacon cart. He wants to sell bags of bacon and chocolate milk.

Food trucks are growing like crazy man. All you need is a food truck and a twitter account, post up wherever you can for the day and let your followers know where you'll be at...if you have a good following/good food they'll be people flocking...

They've always been around in NYC but I hear the movement is picking up steam all over, thats some good *%+%

I've eaten Kogi 3 of the last 4 fridays. Gonna give it a rest today.
The cat who runs, or at least partly runs, Waffles de liege is on NT.
If you are in the SoCal, there are plenty of "First Fridays" or "First Thursdays" around (for those who don't know, it's a gathering of food trucks on certain days). I know Harbor City has a pretty big gathering (14-16 trucks) every Thursday at the Pep Boys on PCH.
Twitter is a great way to find out what truckks are where..

-J-

Originally Posted by JBug88

The cat who runs, or at least partly runs, Waffles de liege is on NT.
OP's name is girlslovewaffles....
nerd.gif

Why haven't you told us what truck you run?
laugh.gif

Out here in Denver they're poppin. Theres really only a handful of GREAT spots, and those ones THRIVE. The best, that have been around for a few years, have successfully converted their food CARTS(not even trucks) to brick-n-mortar establishments. (A few businesses have multiple locations).

I've been eyeing my own for a minute now.

like somebody stated, its all about finding your niche. If your menu/signature item is better than the alternatives out here, you've hit paydirt.

I dont see it dying out - not for the hot spots. The crap spots will be weeded out, but out here in Denver theres plenty of room for places that are making quality food.

damn now I'ma have to hit up this Thai joint - best $7 spent.
pimp.gif

OP - if you don't mind me asking, what kind of food do you offer?

so you do waffles? nice man, there are two brothers out here that were doing a waffle cart in a prime spot - Downtown Denver, same style waffles as you, and after a few years they now have two nice brick-n-mortar locations.

they done caaame up.

check em out:
http://wafflebrothers.com/

Seen them around but havent tried any of them. I do hear a lot of people complaining that its expensive and the portions are small. I would hate to spend $10 on 3 tacos and a drink.

just found out this spot in hermosa beach closed down in '10. Ragin Cajun been there for close to 20 years due to a landlord dispute. Turns out all they do now is cater and they have a food truck. 

haha yeah, i'm a co-founder of waffles de liege.

it's really cool that some of you guys like our stuff and are fans! there are so many trucks out there right now, it makes me feel good that our truck sticks out for you guys. appreciate that.

and thanks for the link to waffle brothers, i will check them out!

and yeah i agree about the bit on some trucks being overpriced. but i can sort of understand because it's actually quite expensive to run a truck, with some trucks costing as much as a brick and mortar establishment if you factor in all the gas, parking, and event fees that are paid. on top of that, we have to pay for a business license in EVERY city that we vend, which can really add up.

i haven't paid for food truck food in quite some time because we just trade food with them haha. some of my favorites are lime truck, burnt truck, truck norris, and slummin gourmet, although the last one can get pricey but their food is LEGIT.

pimp.gif
, will try to visit tommorrow.

Jun 02
5:30 PM - Eat|See|Hear Outdoor
Movie - Pasadena Centennial
Square (Garfield Ave and Union St)

my city
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by rice boy 45

pimp.gif
, will try to visit tommorrow.

Jun 02
5:30 PM - Eat|See|Hear Outdoor
Movie - Pasadena Centennial
Square (Garfield Ave and Union St)

my city
smokin.gif

love going to pasadena, unfortunately i won't be there personally to meet you. friend of mine is getting married in santa monica so i'll be in attendance there haha.

i would recommend you come out to wheel food wednesdays at jones coffee (on wednesdays) or truck nights at zona rosa (on thursdays). they're both free events and go from 5:30-9PM. the event tomorrow has an admission cost because it's showing a movie.

yeah i was researching and talking to dudes who run food trucks.  here it's not too bad.  the permit is 1k for the year.  but you need a kitchen to prep out of anyways obviously so you have to pay for that. i was throwing the idea around a few years ago since we were really lacking in them here.  i saw the dude i worked for killing it.  i guess everyone else did too since there is a new one here in minneapolis every other day.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

yeah i was researching and talking to dudes who run food trucks.  here it's not too bad.  the permit is 1k for the year.  but you need a kitchen to prep out of anyways obviously so you have to pay for that. i was throwing the idea around a few years ago since we were really lacking in them here.  i saw the dude i worked for killing it.  i guess everyone else did too since there is a new one here in minneapolis every other day.
laugh.gif

i visited a truck called a fork in the road when i went to minneapolis for a weekend. seemed like nice folks. you guys got hella lax health department regulations though. i saw a non-commercial fridge in their truck and HUGE serving windows lol. in LA, it's gotta be tiny and have a screen door so flies don't get in.

Back
Top Bottom