NT what are your thoughts on the MLB 500 HR club

Originally Posted by jrp44

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

You can put asterisks next to Teddy Williams' numbers too.

This man missed THREE full seasons from the age of 24-26 because of World War II and nearly two full seasons at the age of 33-34 because of the Korean War.

That is absolutely insane.

It is pretty crazy...most of those guys back then fought for the country
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Some of these guys today won't even PLAY for their country.

not what it use to be half of the new 10 guys are under suspicion so i dont know what to think anymore

So what do you do to the records?

Something has to be done, or do you just chalk it up as part of the game?

I say you release the names in the "Report" and all the players on that list, if you they also hold records, there must be some type of sub-text tothat record.

Damn, did I put two next to Bonds' name? Oh man, I didn't even notice....
smile.gif

And Bastitch, that's a damn good point, I never thought about it that way. I guess they have to throw out EVERY single stat from this era and have theseguys just play for fun!....
ohwell.gif
aight, they don't have to go to thatextreme but wow, this has been a horrible period for baseball. No one knows who is legit or not anymore...I really hope they can move past this soon.

I truly feel that you don't asterisk a damn thing in the record books.

Baseball is going to continue to change, and advantages/disadvantages are going to sway back and forth all across the board.

Steroids changed the game. But so did the lowering the mound. So did franchise expansion. So did racial integration. So did gambling.

You simply CAN'T "asterisk" an entire era. You can't.

You can't asterisk Barry Bonds because he's easily the best hitter we've seen with our own eyes. You can question the power, but you can'tquestion the ability.

You can't asterisk McGwire and Sosa, because what those guys did that one season brought Major League Baseball back from the trenches of the strike.

I really think the media and the Internet has really blown this scandal up to something it really isn't. Because when it boils down to it, baseball fansare still going to come to the ballpark and enjoy a game.

Baseball is a sport, but it's also an experience. You go to the field to smell the grass, and to shout at the opposing team, and to leap to your feet onevery deep fly ball anticipating a possible homerun. You go for the food, and to look at your kids and just smile at the look of awe on their faces seeing howhuge the stadium really is. You pay attention to the pitcher as he tries to keep a runner on first while staring down the opposing hitter.

Those are the kinds of things that people think about while experiencing baseball. No one is thinking stats, or whether or not someone is cheating. Theexperience is the same whether at an MLB game or at a Little League game.

We just want to be entertained. The statistics, the scandals, the non-sense. Those are just things that are valued by the media and blown completely out ofproportion by chatterboxes and gossip hounds on the Internet.

When it boils down to it, baseball is still a form of entertainment that is to be reckoned with.

Back
Top Bottom