NT what are your thoughts on the MLB 500 HR club

Anyone into these "benchmarks" anymore or are we just throwing most these out for good....

I can see how so many old timers and historians get heated at their cherished history when I see stuff like this
laugh.gif

MLB 500 Home Run Club on opening day, 1999

1. 755 - Hank Aaron
2. 714 - Babe Ruth
3. 660 - Willie Mays
4. 586 - Frank Robinson
5. 573 - Harmon Killebrew
6. 563 - Reggie Jackson
7. 548 - Mike Schmidt
8. 536 - Mickey Mantle
9. 534 - Jimmie Foxx
10. 521 - Willie McCovey
10. 521 - Ted Williams
12. 512 - Ernie Banks
12. 512 - Eddie Mathews
14. 511 - Mel Ott
15. 504 - Eddie Murray

MLB 500 Home Run Club on opening day, 2009

1. 762 - Barry Bonds
2. 755 - Hank Aaron
3. 714 - Babe Ruth
4. 660 - Willie Mays
5. 611 - Ken Griffey, Jr.
6. 609 - Sammy Sosa
7. 586 - Frank Robinson
8. 583 - Mark McGwire
9. 573 - Harmon Killebrew
10. 569 - Rafael Palmeiro
11. 563 - Reggie Jackson
12. 553 - Alex Rodriguez
13. 548 - Mike Schmidt
14. 541 - Jim Thome
15. 536 - Mickey Mantle
16. 534 - Jimmie Foxx
17. 527 - Manny Ramirez
18. 521 - Willie McCovey
18. 521 - Frank Thomas
18. 521 - Ted Williams
21. 512 - Ernie Banks
21. 512 - Eddie Mathews
23. 511 - Mel Ott
24. 504 - Eddie Murray
25. 499 - Gary Sheffield

Threw Sheffield in there just for the heck of it....but that's 15 total members in the 100 years from 1900-1999.....and 10 more members in just the nextdecade
laugh.gif

Thomas was the only active MLBer to openly speak with MLB investigators and Mitchell people last year, and he has been very vocal about roids so my money saysno.

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

but that's 15 total members in the 100 years from 1900-1999.....and 10 more members in just the next decade
laugh.gif
That's pretty crazy
laugh.gif

But the game's changed and there really aren't many power hitters like that anymore. Aside from the shoo-ins (Delgado, Pujols, Sheffield), the only500-club hopefuls that come to mind are Ryan Howard and Adam Dunn. Maybe Chipper Jones has a chance (he needs another 100 or so I believe). The 500-club shouldregain it's holy status, even if the most recent newcomers were juicers.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

but that's 15 total members in the 100 years from 1900-1999.....and 10 more members in just the next decade
laugh.gif
That's pretty crazy
laugh.gif

But the game's changed and there really aren't many power hitters like that anymore. Aside from the shoo-ins (Delgado, Pujols, Sheffield), the only 500-club hopefuls that come to mind are Ryan Howard and Adam Dunn. Maybe Chipper Jones has a chance (he needs another 100 or so I believe). The 500-club should regain it's holy status, even if the most recent newcomers were juicers.
thats really how you spell that? i thought it was shoe-in...
anyways youre right.

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

laugh.gif
That's pretty crazy
laugh.gif

But the game's changed and there really aren't many power hitters like that anymore. Aside from the shoo-ins (Delgado, Pujols, Sheffield), the only 500-club hopefuls that come to mind are Ryan Howard and Adam Dunn. Maybe Chipper Jones has a chance (he needs another 100 or so I believe). The 500-club should regain it's holy status, even if the most recent newcomers were juicers.

I'd put Albert up there as well as one of those.

they better deal with it, humans are just getting more athletic as time passes on so their records are bound to be surpassed and what not

Originally Posted by ElijahDukes

they better deal with it, humans are just getting more athletic as time passes on so their records are bound to be surpassed and what not

It's the roids bro. This whole era is tainted. The Big Hurt, Jeff Kent and few others are the only ones i think was not on it, because they openly spokeagainst it. I really want my fav. b-ball player, Griffey Jr., just come out and say he was never on it.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Chipper Jones won't make it..
hes getting up there in age...i don't think so either

he needs like 5 GOOD seasons to get 100 more so i don't think he got that in him

but hes in the hall either way.

1. 762 - Barry Bonds**
2. 755 - Hank Aaron
3. 714 - Babe Ruth
4. 660 - Willie Mays
5. 611 - Ken Griffey, Jr.
6. 609 - Sammy Sosa*
7. 586 - Frank Robinson
8. 583 - Mark McGwire*
9. 573 - Harmon Killebrew
10. 569 - Rafael Palmeiro*
11. 563 - Reggie Jackson
12. 553 - Alex Rodriguez*
13. 548 - Mike Schmidt
14. 541 - Jim Thome ? (I dunno anymoreee!!!!)
15. 536 - Mickey Mantle
16. 534 - Jimmie Foxx
17. 527 - Manny Ramirez
laugh.gif
( I hope he's clean, pretty sure he is...)
18. 521 - Willie McCovey
18. 521 - Frank Thomas
18. 521 - Ted Williams
21. 512 - Ernie Banks
21. 512 - Eddie Mathews
23. 511 - Mel Ott
24. 504 - Eddie Murray
25. 499 - Gary Sheffield *

There you go...the list looks a little more legit now I guess. Damn baseball, every player to me is under doubt. I just hope guys like Griffey, Delgado, RoyHalladay, Shannon Stewart and a few others didn't take anything.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

It's the roids bro. This whole era is tainted. The Big Hurt, Jeff Kent and few others are the only ones i think was not on it, because they openly spoke against it. I really want my fav. b-ball player, Griffey Jr., just come out and say he was never on it.
yea roids def play a big factor in the numbers nowadays, i'm praying that griffey never used em

You can put asterisks next to Teddy Williams' numbers too.

This man missed THREE full seasons from the age of 24-26 because of World War II and nearly two full seasons at the age of 33-34 because of the Korean War.

That is absolutely insane.

SMH at you putting two *s by Bonds. Just pure unwarranted hatred, nothing more.

Originally Posted by dland24

SMH at you putting two *s by Bonds. Just pure unwarranted hatred, nothing more.
he gets one * for using roids and another * for being such a pansy

This man missed THREE full seasons from the age of 24-26 because of World War II and nearly two full seasons at the age of 33-34 because of the Korean War.

eek.gif

It is pretty crazy...most of those guys back then fought for the country
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^ Ya that's why these MLB stats simply cannot be covered in gold like so many people want them to be...you got minority-less leagues for decades,you've got HOF players missing years of their primes to serve their country (I dont know about you but I can assume those players werent practicing theirbatting much out there either to stay crisp), you got newer and smaller stadiums, you got the roid era. We just gotta take it for what it is I guess....

^ Ya that's why these MLB stats simply cannot be covered in gold like so many people want them to be...you got minority-less leagues for decades, you've got HOF players missing years of their primes to serve their country (I dont know about you but I can assume those players werent practicing their batting much out there either to stay crisp), you got newer and smaller stadiums, you got the roid era. We just gotta take it for what it is I guess....
Yea we have to just take it for what it is, but is just disappointing.

Its hard to even compare people, because it is so hard to tell who is on it and who's not.

ohwell.gif

It's the roids bro. This whole era is tainted. The Big Hurt, Jeff Kent and few others are the only ones i think was not on it, because they openly spoke against it. I really want my fav. b-ball player, Griffey Jr., just come out and say he was never on it.

See, thing is, how can you not say someone like Jeff Kent isn't tainted?

His most productive offensive seasons came battling before or after Barry Bonds.

That's why I never bought into the whole concept of the "*". It's not just a couple people who did wrong that were affected. The ripple ofsteroid use lingers well beyond those "guilty".

Originally Posted by Bastitch

His most productive offensive seasons came battling before or after Barry Bonds.

That's why I never bought into the whole concept of the "*". It's not just a couple people who did wrong that were affected. The ripple of steroid use lingers well beyond those "guilty".

that's a pretty good point. i don't know why, but i've never even considered that.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

That's why I never bought into the whole concept of the "*". It's not just a couple people who did wrong that were affected. The ripple of steroid use lingers well beyond those "guilty".
I said "the whole era is tainted" I just think Kent, Thomas, and others were not it because they openly spoke against it. I believeKent also said "Why arent the clean players coming out and speaking against it."

Back
Top Bottom