NT School me on this WHIP vol. LOTUS elise, exige

My dude put me on to em. I always thought they were a lot more expensive than they are, but for a sports car it seems like a nice whip to have.

Thinking ahead, I'm not trying to race it. Just have a nice looking, dependable car. I like sports cars, but I am not into the whole super engine racingstuff. Anybody own a lotus or got close to purchasing one?

very underrated

my father owned a black one and it goes hard
pimp.gif

i kno the smaller lotuses go for round $40k and i know u can cop one for cheaper.

Have u seen the interior? Its very minimum to say the least. Its def. not an everyday car. It's fast, looks exotic but heard they have to many mechanicalproblems. I was considering purchasing an exige S, but decided to go for a e39 m5.

Last time me and my homeboy sat in one, we couldn't even close the doors. Had to hang our arms out the window on some No Scrubs stuff just to keep it fromrollin' us out.

I'm good. I can't be drivin' no hot wheels.
grin.gif

My cousin had one, very nice car. Handled extremely well, toyota engines I believe. Quite spartan, I believe a radio was an option on the earlier models.

They're "sports cars" with Camry engines. Older models utilize scrap parts from other car companies. Side mirrors, transmissions, alternators,etc.

Originally Posted by bonafide hustla

My dude put me on to em. I always thought they were a lot more expensive than they are, but for a sports car it seems like a nice whip to have.

Thinking ahead, I'm not trying to race it. Just have a nice looking, dependable car. I like sports cars, but I am not into the whole super engine racing stuff. Anybody own a lotus or got close to purchasing one?

Don't do it if all you want to do is look pretty in it.It is as raw a car as you can get, and you really have to love driving to enjoy it. Curt2121 has aLotus.

lotus-elise%20double%20red%20black.jpg

Not a crazy amount of horsepower like most cars thats perform like it, but its VERY light. I seen a few around the way but they're tiny. Nonetheless
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

my boy has an exige.

if you're looking for a daily driver, this probably isn't the car for you. very raw, not too many comfort features. with the exige, you cant see out ofthe back window because of the roof scoop.

if you're looking for something that will impress the ladies, this wont be it. it might attract their eye, but once they try to get in and out of it, theywont try again.

i see a decent number on the roads here in norcal. mainly older guys.

if you're looking for a track car, this is it.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Thinking ahead, I'm not trying to race it. Just have a nice looking, dependable car. I like sports cars, but I am not into the whole super engine racing stuff. Anybody own a lotus or got close to purchasing one?

Don't do it if all you want to do is look pretty in it.It is as raw a car as you can get, and you really have to love driving to enjoy it. Curt2121 has a Lotus.
elaborate. you mean only in terms of it not being a "smooth" ride? other than that why not

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Don't do it if all you want to do is look pretty in it.It is as raw a car as you can get, and you really have to love driving to enjoy it. Curt2121 has a Lotus.
elaborate. you mean only in terms of it not being a "smooth" ride? other than that why not

You say you're not trying to race it.You're not into super engine racing stuff.You want a dependable car. All that points to me thinking you would getinto something your not expecting. You're pretty much buying a track car if you get an exige. From what I've heard it is reliable but nuts and bolts docome loose in the interior and you'll have to tighten them. Like it was said earlier by powdbyrice, it'll get attention from females, until they try toget inside (even worse if they have a dress)

The exige is the better of the two cars but they are quite a bit more expensive. An elise as an everyday car is not ideal if your in traffic and on/off thegass a lot, the lotus are prob the best chassis for car in this price range your not gonna get a better bang for your buck in terms of handling and drivingexperience. That said they need a lot of care and attention and they are not the most comfortable cars if your any taller than 6'1

The noble M12 GTO is one of the best British track cars I've ever driven a nice 2.5 6 cylinder ford engine bolted to a chassis well able to handle thepower, but this is again not for day to day driving.

I would recommend you test drive some of the lotus cars see how your feel/fit in them and consider the more reliable but common boxster as an alternative.

My neighbor has one so he was going to let me test his out before I waist my time going to the dealership. I'm glad i did, because i could barley fit and idrive a SLK so i know the torture of a small car.

Originally Posted by Steamin Beamin

My neighbor has one so he was going to let me test his out before I waist my time going to the dealership. I'm glad i did, because i could barley fit and i drive a SLK so i know the torture of a small car.

those cars make an SLK feel like an S class.

as someone mentioned, yes I have an elise (heavily modded) and picked up an exige 240 s not that long ago. I'll say this. 99% chance you don't actuallywant one. TONS of people didn't realize this in the beginning. Plenty of die hard lotus fans like myself were on the early lists knowing full well what toexpect. Soon after, cars were actually available on lots bu still at markup. People bought them without thinking what they're like to live with. Shortlyafter, there became a large used market.

Some of the issues you'll most likely have to deal with:
a/c that doesn't work right
rattles coming from unknown places
you'll feel every dime you ride over
you won't hear the person next to you
the stereo speakers will likely malfunction or melt at some point
if your stereo is working you won't hear it on a freeway very well (a plus to me)
you can hardly carry anything
people generally don't like riding in them for mundane trips unless it's for the novelty of the first time
girls WILL hate riding in it and complain about having to get in and out (and they def won't wear a skirt if they know they'll be going in it)
you will most likely hate getting in and out of it eventually

Really though, that's just scratching the surface. It is not a car whose purchase should be taken lightly. Do your research and make sure it's actuallyright. And honestly, like I said, it isn't right for most people. Not many can extract its full potential on the track. But by all means even if youcan't, you'll enjoy it on the track. And DEFINITELY not many people can live with it on the road. But it's a true hand built two seater properBritish targa with an amazing chassis and handling. It was essentially built for my tastes.

As far as the atom someone mentioned, yes you can get plates for it, bu even I would not drive it daily (actually, I might now that I think of it). A Nobel isalways a great choice as well. I've definitely been through that stage. Doubt many on nt have had experience with a tvr, but oh the things I would do ifthey returned to selling in America. Actually, I don't want that. They would have to completely sterilize everything to meet stupid restrictions. I'llstick with them when in Europe I guess
frown.gif

laugh.gif
i will obviously test drive it before anything. i want it to be mydaily driver, yes, but I am not the type to do a lot of driving. work will consist of taking the bus or whatnot if possible. and thats with any car. thanksfor the tips though. good info on top of what ive already researched about it

Back
Top Bottom