NT Runner's: 5K, 10K, Half-Marathon, Marathon etc.

I know there has to be some serious runners on NT. I have been a casual runner for the past 6 months, but over the summer I've started to take it more seriously, getting about 3 miles in 3-4 times a week. 
This week I started to train for my first 10K, a 12 week training program hoping that Nike re-ups the Human Race 10K that they've run the past few years in late October. I have been using the Nike+ Sportband system to help me train. I think it's and great tool for any runner no matter what your level. It helps you track you runs, adds up your miles, pace, calories burned; as well as set goals and challenges for yourself and compete with other runners. Plus it also has a training coach that will give you a day-by-day running schedule to help you train for you particular race, from a 5K all the way up yo a marathon.

Hopefully this thread can help the runners on NT, update us on races in your area, share training tips, what your next goal is (organized race or not), what equipment you're using, your shoes of choice and can serve as a little bit of extra motivation to get you to go the extra miles. 

Hopefully this thread stays up, be good NT.

I know there has to be some serious runners on NT. I have been a casual runner for the past 6 months, but over the summer I've started to take it more seriously, getting about 3 miles in 3-4 times a week. 
This week I started to train for my first 10K, a 12 week training program hoping that Nike re-ups the Human Race 10K that they've run the past few years in late October. I have been using the Nike+ Sportband system to help me train. I think it's and great tool for any runner no matter what your level. It helps you track you runs, adds up your miles, pace, calories burned; as well as set goals and challenges for yourself and compete with other runners. Plus it also has a training coach that will give you a day-by-day running schedule to help you train for you particular race, from a 5K all the way up yo a marathon.

Hopefully this thread can help the runners on NT, update us on races in your area, share training tips, what your next goal is (organized race or not), what equipment you're using, your shoes of choice and can serve as a little bit of extra motivation to get you to go the extra miles. 

Hopefully this thread stays up, be good NT.

I am the worst kind of runner there is. In fact, it is an insult to other runners for me to even classify myself as a runner.

I was running in some Saucony Grid Sinisters which fell great if you have slightly narrower feet. I ran my first race in them fresh out the box (terrible idea) but my feet werent terribly sore afterwards. I have since changed to some Nike Lunarglide's which are a bit better, but I havent put em on for atleast a good 6-9 months (left em at my buddys house and never picked em up). Since then, I have been running in some old Nike Air Burst beaters which is probably the worst thing I could be doing. They are atleast 10 years old and have 100+ miles on em easy. By the grace of God, my feet/knees/ hips havent completely fallen apart yet with my faulty gear, but I probably shouldn't press my luck.

I've only been casually running for about 2 years now. I started at the beginning of 2009 to help lose some weight for my wedding. Prior to then, I had never run more than 2 miles consistently in my entire life. Since then I have somewhat come to enjoy a good run even though I am fatter than ever. All that extra weight is definitely not good for my knees, so I probably have to stop suckin down cupfuls of bacon grease on a weekly basis.

I SHOULD be in training but have been really lazy about it. Currently I run about 2-3 times a week. I try to get a longer run earlier in the week (4-6 mile run) and then taper off to my average run for the other session (3 miles).

So far I've only done 3 races since I started running. First race was a 10K followed up by a a couple of 13.1's. I honestly dont think my knees can handle a full 26.2 (I had bad knees prior to running). My next race is Labor Day Weekend (Disneyland Half Marathon) which I am looking forward to. The course map looks like it goes right through Angels Stadium, and hopefully it goes on the field and across homeplate. If so, I am definitely going to make it a 13.2+360 ft because I will circle the bases and slide headfirst into homeplate before continuing the rest of the race. Even without the extra 360 ft I doubt I can set a personal record since I haven't really been training. I am currently "trying" to break the 1:40 threshold for a 13.1 (personal record is right at 1:41:xx).

OP, if you are averaging 9 miles a week in 3 mile sessions, a 10K is gonna be a piece of cake for you. I wouldnt' worry at all. I was a bit concered before my first race (the 10K) but once it came to raceday I had very little problem finishing even though it felt like my right knee was going to blow out. Based on my personal experience, if you can run atleast 6 miles without stopping, you can finish a 13.1. You might not be able to run/jog the entire way but you'll finish. There's something about race day that I can't explain. Running with a massive group of people; the thought of all your training finally paying off; the adrenaline just kicks in and will help push you through a few more miles than you thought you were capable of. Another personal goal of mine, to run/jog the entire 13.1. I usually stop to walk after mile 10, and then will alternate run/walk for the last 3 miles.

Best of luck to you.

I am the worst kind of runner there is. In fact, it is an insult to other runners for me to even classify myself as a runner.

I was running in some Saucony Grid Sinisters which fell great if you have slightly narrower feet. I ran my first race in them fresh out the box (terrible idea) but my feet werent terribly sore afterwards. I have since changed to some Nike Lunarglide's which are a bit better, but I havent put em on for atleast a good 6-9 months (left em at my buddys house and never picked em up). Since then, I have been running in some old Nike Air Burst beaters which is probably the worst thing I could be doing. They are atleast 10 years old and have 100+ miles on em easy. By the grace of God, my feet/knees/ hips havent completely fallen apart yet with my faulty gear, but I probably shouldn't press my luck.

I've only been casually running for about 2 years now. I started at the beginning of 2009 to help lose some weight for my wedding. Prior to then, I had never run more than 2 miles consistently in my entire life. Since then I have somewhat come to enjoy a good run even though I am fatter than ever. All that extra weight is definitely not good for my knees, so I probably have to stop suckin down cupfuls of bacon grease on a weekly basis.

I SHOULD be in training but have been really lazy about it. Currently I run about 2-3 times a week. I try to get a longer run earlier in the week (4-6 mile run) and then taper off to my average run for the other session (3 miles).

So far I've only done 3 races since I started running. First race was a 10K followed up by a a couple of 13.1's. I honestly dont think my knees can handle a full 26.2 (I had bad knees prior to running). My next race is Labor Day Weekend (Disneyland Half Marathon) which I am looking forward to. The course map looks like it goes right through Angels Stadium, and hopefully it goes on the field and across homeplate. If so, I am definitely going to make it a 13.2+360 ft because I will circle the bases and slide headfirst into homeplate before continuing the rest of the race. Even without the extra 360 ft I doubt I can set a personal record since I haven't really been training. I am currently "trying" to break the 1:40 threshold for a 13.1 (personal record is right at 1:41:xx).

OP, if you are averaging 9 miles a week in 3 mile sessions, a 10K is gonna be a piece of cake for you. I wouldnt' worry at all. I was a bit concered before my first race (the 10K) but once it came to raceday I had very little problem finishing even though it felt like my right knee was going to blow out. Based on my personal experience, if you can run atleast 6 miles without stopping, you can finish a 13.1. You might not be able to run/jog the entire way but you'll finish. There's something about race day that I can't explain. Running with a massive group of people; the thought of all your training finally paying off; the adrenaline just kicks in and will help push you through a few more miles than you thought you were capable of. Another personal goal of mine, to run/jog the entire 13.1. I usually stop to walk after mile 10, and then will alternate run/walk for the last 3 miles.

Best of luck to you.

I do marathons. I average about 60 miles a week and run in Nike Structure Triax for training runs, Nike Span's for uptempo work, and Zoom Marathoners or Zoom Katana Ra3ers for speed workout. My next marathon is the Bass Pro Shops marathon in Springfield, MO in November and then Boston come April. Unfortunately with the heat a lot of my miles have had to come on a treadmill this summer.

I do marathons. I average about 60 miles a week and run in Nike Structure Triax for training runs, Nike Span's for uptempo work, and Zoom Marathoners or Zoom Katana Ra3ers for speed workout. My next marathon is the Bass Pro Shops marathon in Springfield, MO in November and then Boston come April. Unfortunately with the heat a lot of my miles have had to come on a treadmill this summer.

i was a competitive runner for 4 years in high school averaging 80 miles per week during summers. Im getting back to it, and i still want to run my mile under 5 mins. (missed it by 2 secs
mad.gif
) and I still want to run my first marathon since i was always a 5 k runner.

i was a competitive runner for 4 years in high school averaging 80 miles per week during summers. Im getting back to it, and i still want to run my mile under 5 mins. (missed it by 2 secs
mad.gif
) and I still want to run my first marathon since i was always a 5 k runner.

I've been following the Nike+ coach for m 10k training, I'm in week 2 and it had me do a 5 mile run today, my longest run so far. I would not of been able to finish it had I not slowed my pace from usual 3-3.5 mile pace, but i was really pleased with how I got it done. 
This might sound ridiculous, but after checking the NY Road Runners web site I found out that the Staten Island Half Marathon in October 20th. Any chance a beginner like me can get ready for a half marathon on 8 weeks? I've checked out a couple of training schedules and it seems like most of them are at least 10-12 weeks long. I know its a stretch, but its something I would love to do. 

I've been following the Nike+ coach for m 10k training, I'm in week 2 and it had me do a 5 mile run today, my longest run so far. I would not of been able to finish it had I not slowed my pace from usual 3-3.5 mile pace, but i was really pleased with how I got it done. 
This might sound ridiculous, but after checking the NY Road Runners web site I found out that the Staten Island Half Marathon in October 20th. Any chance a beginner like me can get ready for a half marathon on 8 weeks? I've checked out a couple of training schedules and it seems like most of them are at least 10-12 weeks long. I know its a stretch, but its something I would love to do. 

Nike+ isn't that great. For one the mileage isn't done by gps and is done by your stride length, so make sure your runs are the correct length by using mapmyrun.com to map out a route ahead of time. If you are really serious about it pick up a garmin gps for about $150, definitely worth the investment. Also to the person saying if you run 3 miles 3 times a week then the 10k will be a piece of cake...... If your goal is just to finish then sure, but if you are serious about racing then you are going to need to up your mileage. Make sure you are getting in a run longer than 10k every week to since that is a rather short distance, it will get you used to being on your feet that long and build endurance so you can run faster. Also don't go out trying to run all your training runs as fast as possible, take it easy and do 1 or 2 speed workouts a week doing fartleks or intervals on the track, whatever you find that works for you.

I am training for a half marathon right now and expect to get my mileage up to around 50mpw with my longest training run at 15-16 miles. The best advice I can give you is take it slow and don't try to do to much to soon. Listen to your body and run within yourself or you will get hurt. I am going through some IT Band issues right now and it isn't fun. And if they aren't doing the nike human race look for another 10k in your area. Check runnersworld.com for race listings or look for a running club in your area that should have a list of races that are local to you. Hell join a club and get on their training plan, it will be much better for you to have a coach in person to evaluate you rather than something online, plus you will meet other runners and go on group runs which are much more easier and enjoyable than running by yourself.

Also to your question about the Staten Island Half in October, go ahead and forget about that. You need to focus on building a base of miles to work off of and 8 weeks isn't enough for a beginner runner like you. You should be aiming for a 5-10k in 8 weeks.

Nike+ isn't that great. For one the mileage isn't done by gps and is done by your stride length, so make sure your runs are the correct length by using mapmyrun.com to map out a route ahead of time. If you are really serious about it pick up a garmin gps for about $150, definitely worth the investment. Also to the person saying if you run 3 miles 3 times a week then the 10k will be a piece of cake...... If your goal is just to finish then sure, but if you are serious about racing then you are going to need to up your mileage. Make sure you are getting in a run longer than 10k every week to since that is a rather short distance, it will get you used to being on your feet that long and build endurance so you can run faster. Also don't go out trying to run all your training runs as fast as possible, take it easy and do 1 or 2 speed workouts a week doing fartleks or intervals on the track, whatever you find that works for you.

I am training for a half marathon right now and expect to get my mileage up to around 50mpw with my longest training run at 15-16 miles. The best advice I can give you is take it slow and don't try to do to much to soon. Listen to your body and run within yourself or you will get hurt. I am going through some IT Band issues right now and it isn't fun. And if they aren't doing the nike human race look for another 10k in your area. Check runnersworld.com for race listings or look for a running club in your area that should have a list of races that are local to you. Hell join a club and get on their training plan, it will be much better for you to have a coach in person to evaluate you rather than something online, plus you will meet other runners and go on group runs which are much more easier and enjoyable than running by yourself.

Also to your question about the Staten Island Half in October, go ahead and forget about that. You need to focus on building a base of miles to work off of and 8 weeks isn't enough for a beginner runner like you. You should be aiming for a 5-10k in 8 weeks.

^ i should have clarified on my 3mi x 3 times assessment.

You are correct. If you are trying to finish the race at a competitive time without any short term or long term pain or issues then yes. You probably need to up your mileage.

I mean I can only speak from my own experience. I went from no running at all (I'm talking maybe 10 miles total a year if that), and gradually upped myself to about 10-15 miles a week prior to my first 10K. I ran that 10K after roughly 4 months of casual running/training and managed to finish within my 3 mile pace time (approx 9:30/miles... i'm fat and slow).

You are correct. If you are trying to finish the race at a competitive time without any short term or long term pain or issues then yes. You probably need to up your mileage.

I mean I can only speak from my own experience. I went from no running at all (I'm talking maybe 10 miles total a year if that), and gradually upped myself to about 10-15 miles a week prior to my first 10K. I ran that 10K after roughly 4 months of casual running/training and managed to finish within my 3 mile pace time (approx 9:30/miles... i'm fat and slow).

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Well everyone has to start somewhere, I remember when I started running I could barely do a mile, now I am trying to break 1:30 for a half marathon and hoping to qualify for Boston in the next year.  I just think it is a good idea for those that are interested to get into racing to focus on building a base and working on speed before moving up into longer distance races, it is a lot of work but in the long run if it is something you are looking to stick with training to be somewhat competitive and setting goals for races  will make it more enjoyable.  There isn't much better feeling than running a smart race and going in for your final kick at the end and passing a bunch of people.  Last year I ran Hood to Coast relay and on my second leg of the race I had to run like 7 miles of hills, no easy task having already ran 6.5 a few hours before and going on about 30hrs of no sleep.  The only thing that kept me going that leg was passing people, and I ended up picking off nearly 50 people on that leg alone.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Well everyone has to start somewhere, I remember when I started running I could barely do a mile, now I am trying to break 1:30 for a half marathon and hoping to qualify for Boston in the next year.  I just think it is a good idea for those that are interested to get into racing to focus on building a base and working on speed before moving up into longer distance races, it is a lot of work but in the long run if it is something you are looking to stick with training to be somewhat competitive and setting goals for races  will make it more enjoyable.  There isn't much better feeling than running a smart race and going in for your final kick at the end and passing a bunch of people.  Last year I ran Hood to Coast relay and on my second leg of the race I had to run like 7 miles of hills, no easy task having already ran 6.5 a few hours before and going on about 30hrs of no sleep.  The only thing that kept me going that leg was passing people, and I ended up picking off nearly 50 people on that leg alone.

Originally Posted by airblaster503

Last year I ran Hood to Coast relay and on my second leg of the race I had to run like 7 miles of hills, no easy task having already ran 6.5 a few hours before and going on about 30hrs of no sleep.  The only thing that kept me going that leg was passing people, and I ended up picking off nearly 50 people on that leg alone.

I'm actually doing Hood to Coast next weekend. I got Leg 10, which is supposedly the 3rd hardest. It's only 17.13 miles, though, so I should be fine. I just did Cascade Lakes Relay (Diamond Lake to Bend), and our team placed 11th (Jones & Roth, the accounting firm I work for):
http://www.cascadelakesrelay.com/2010 CLR RESULTS.pdf

I had a Nike+ band for the longest time, and it wasn't very accurate. Grab a Garmin Forerunner 205 (entry level GPS) and hit the pavement - you'll be surprised.

As far as training goes, I do two tempo runs a week (two miles of warm-up, then 3-7 miles of my 10k pace), one speed workout at the track (in-and-outs, sprints), one casual day and one distance run (8-16m). It might not work for some people, but everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways.

Last year I ran Hood to Coast relay and on my second leg of the race I had to run like 7 miles of hills, no easy task having already ran 6.5 a few hours before and going on about 30hrs of no sleep.  The only thing that kept me going that leg was passing people, and I ended up picking off nearly 50 people on that leg alone.

I'm actually doing Hood to Coast next weekend. I got Leg 10, which is supposedly the 3rd hardest. It's only 17.13 miles, though, so I should be fine. I just did Cascade Lakes Relay (Diamond Lake to Bend), and our team placed 11th (Jones & Roth, the accounting firm I work for):

I had a Nike+ band for the longest time, and it wasn't very accurate. Grab a Garmin Forerunner 205 (entry level GPS) and hit the pavement - you'll be surprised.

As far as training goes, I do two tempo runs a week (two miles of warm-up, then 3-7 miles of my 10k pace), one speed workout at the track (in-and-outs, sprints), one casual day and one distance run (8-16m). It might not work for some people, but everyone's body is different and reacts in different ways.

back in my prime i was running 3 or 4 miles 5 days a week
and when i got addicted to running i was doing it 6 times a week
that was 3 years ago now i feel like a rookie all over again it sucks
laugh.gif

back in my prime i was running 3 or 4 miles 5 days a week
and when i got addicted to running i was doing it 6 times a week
that was 3 years ago now i feel like a rookie all over again it sucks
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Nice I want to do Cascade Lakes eventually.  Last year was the 12th runner on our Hood to Coast team but since there is no cell reception in St. Helens( where your van2 meets up with van 1 after their second legs, so be prepared for this) we got all messed up and I ended up running a hard 7 miles instead of like an easy 4 for my 2nd leg.  It was fun running down the boardwalk in Seaside to finish the race but going down the last hill into Seaside was brutal, absolutely killed my quads.  Team came in 30th out of 1,000.  I remember you saying you were going to run Eugene Marathon this year, did you ever do that and how did it go?  I have been signed up for the past 2 years but bailed the first time due to seperating my shoulder and this year just wasn't in shape, am training now for the Run Like Hell half in Portland on Oct. 24th.

Originally Posted by Chester the Cheetah

Nice I want to do Cascade Lakes eventually.  Last year was the 12th runner on our Hood to Coast team but since there is no cell reception in St. Helens( where your van2 meets up with van 1 after their second legs, so be prepared for this) we got all messed up and I ended up running a hard 7 miles instead of like an easy 4 for my 2nd leg.  It was fun running down the boardwalk in Seaside to finish the race but going down the last hill into Seaside was brutal, absolutely killed my quads.  Team came in 30th out of 1,000.  I remember you saying you were going to run Eugene Marathon this year, did you ever do that and how did it go?  I have been signed up for the past 2 years but bailed the first time due to seperating my shoulder and this year just wasn't in shape, am training now for the Run Like Hell half in Portland on Oct. 24th.

^ The Eugene Marathon is a great race; thats where I ran my PR last year (2:58:01). After you break off from the half marathoners it's completely flat as you run along the Willamette River.

I'm doing Hood 2 Coast this year as well. I have leg 5. Not really looking forward to the big summit on my last leg but meh. I'm in the middle of marathon training so I'm using the relay as basically one big long workout.

Back
Top Bottom