NT: Official Personal Finances Thread

Do y’all have a will/trust? DIY or pay an attorney?
One of the reasons why I’ve procrastinated is because in the event my wife and I pass, we have 0 options for who would take care of our 2 kids. Even though I still don’t have an answer there, I want to put something in writing at least for our finances
Pay an attorney with a background in it. It’s easy and you don’t want to play around with something this important.

After I think 4 or 5 years straight of saving a certain amount every month, no matter what, around New Years going into 2020 I decided to chill on it for a month or two. Well 2020 happened and here I am a year later and I barely saved a dollar
Gotta get back on it

Gross for me.
I'm doing net. I'm in the process of buying something right now, and trying to frame everything around keeping my monthly housing cost the same/slightly above what I am paying now for rent.

Also putting 10% down as opposed to 20% even though I have 20. The PMI cost just doesn't feel punitive and all my money is in the market so the tax penalty just makes it feel pointless to pull more money out for the down payment.

Last edited:
Do y’all have a will/trust? DIY or pay an attorney?
One of the reasons why I’ve procrastinated is because in the event my wife and I pass, we have 0 options for who would take care of our 2 kids. Even though I still don’t have an answer there, I want to put something in writing at least for our finances
As a band aid, you could place transfer on death instructions on your accounts until you get the trust/will/LLC/whatever established.

Man, I need the "for dummies" version of this thread

twitter is where it’s at for financial advice
92A34459-C229-444F-B209-010C3EE888B1.jpeg

did you pay for turbo tax?

i used turbo tax initially, then used FreeTaxUSA to compare and they both gave me the same amount but FreeTaxUSA is free free

If your tax situation is simple then TurboTax is the way to go IMO, it is completely free. If you have other things going on outside of your regular 9-5 or self employed then I wouldn’t use any type of free software, this is when TurboTax becomes not free. I’ve used TurboTax to file for almost a decade but I’ve grown up and life is different now, TurboTax just doesn’t do it for my situation anymore.

did you pay for turbo tax?

i used turbo tax initially, then used FreeTaxUSA to compare and they both gave me the same amount but FreeTaxUSA is free free

TurboxTax was free free, and has been for me except I think year 1 or 2 of using; had to pay $30 one time I remember for them to store my info.

Today I actually filed using the Live assistance option because it was free (and not $60) until March 28th I believe. You should all look into that if you were planning on using TT this year.

2021 I'll be getting married, and so I imagine going forward using TT may not be as straight forward, but we'll deal with that when we get there.

twitter is where it’s at for financial advice

Gimme the 70K cash anyday. You can always work to get your score up.

But with that 70k, throw into stocks and mutual funds, easily can get to 100K within a year with the right moves.

Here's a question, interested in hearing opinions.

So at what point do you guys "stop caring" about your credit score?

Say you have a house, cars are paid off, and no debt.

I've never cracked the 800 bar because I have a short credit history, but it doesn't really bother me.

I can get any loan I want and my credit is low 700s. Idc, I just got another loan and it was half a percent higher because I had 717 instead of 720 for the best interest. It’s still only 3% so whatever.

I don’t care at this point. It was awful a few years ago.

I can get any loan I want and my credit is low 700s. Idc, I just got another loan and it was half a percent higher because I had 717 instead of 720 for the best interest. It’s still only 3% so whatever.

I don’t care at this point. It was awful a few years ago.
Same. IDC at all now. Its was at 805 prior to my mortgage application which dropped it to 795. Nothing is gonna move it but age of avg credit. Nothing I can do about it and once I get this mortgage what will I really use it for besides refinancing said mortgage.

Gimme the 70K cash anyday. You can always work to get your score up.

But with that 70k, throw into stocks and mutual funds, easily can get to 100K within a year with the right moves.

Here's a question, interested in hearing opinions.

So at what point do you guys "stop caring" about your credit score?

Say you have a house, cars are paid off, and no debt.

I've never cracked the 800 bar because I have a short credit history, but it doesn't really bother me.
That’s a good question, I don’t know the answer. Cuz if everything was paid off, that doesn’t mean I won’t want more mortgages. For investment purposes.
it’s not any struggle or inconvenience to maintain a high credit score so I don’t see any point where I’ll be like “F a credit score”.

is a credit score of 790 compared to 800+ or perfect 850 gonna make much of a difference?

i had a pretty good mortgage rate with the former credit score 🤷🏻‍♂️ My friend had a 760 and his mortgage rate was nearly the same as mine

Turbo tax is great when all u have is w2s. I believe if your itemizing deductions or capital gains/losses u gotta pay for a upgrade. I used freetaxusa they only charge 12 for filling state that’s it

Mortgage below 3% and land loan at 3%

F IT :lol: credit is good enough, and yeah it’s not going up because only time will heal my checkered past.

Same. IDC at all now. Its was at 805 prior to my mortgage application which dropped it to 795. Nothing is gonna move it but age of avg credit. Nothing I can do about it and once I get this mortgage what will I really use it for besides refinancing said mortgage.

I'm in the same boat, I've made my big purchases and don't really need it for now, but of course things can change.

Mortgage below 3% and land loan at 3%

F IT :lol: credit is good enough, and yeah it’s not going up because only time will heal my checkered past.

Fam how hard was it to get a land loan. I may wanna do this but I've always heard land has to be paid for in cash. I need like 3 acres at least.

Back
Top Bottom