NT: Official Personal Finances Thread

Anybody ever use online stock trading websites? Looking to invest instead of having money sitting in my savings account
How comfortable are you with your knowledge of the markets? Do you want to be hands on or stash it and forget it?
not really knowledgeable at all would be best if i stash and forget
Look into Betterment or something like that. Focus on fees and management expenses (these can kill your returns if you're not careful) and find the best investment that fits your plan.

That or just sink your money into a SP500 indexed ETF. And do not ever pull your money out. Ever.

Personally I like VTSMX $3000 minimum / VTSAX $10,000 minimum.

I invest in the Institutional shares in my 401K , VITPX. I just put in 100% and forget about it.

How long term are these investmenthe options you guys are talking about. I already have a 401k and tda account from my job so my retirement is set. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 10 yr investment Idk if that qualifies as long term or not.

Went through my yearly records and I took off 73 days of work this year :lol:. Just people asking me if they can have my shift etc .. Definitely cost me between $7300-$9000 :x .. Can't lie I saved a little money and got lazy :wow:

Saved $11,000 but I spent like $17,000 :smh:

This was my first full year of keeping records of my income and it's pretty eye opening. I didn't know I spent THAT much. I still live at home so my only expense is like $3500/year for car insurance and like $600 for my gym. Should definitely be saving closer to $17k and not SPENDING that much

I made no less than $2000 and no more than $3000/month in 2016. I would just save $1000 then spend the rest on bills and "living. " Not gonna do that this year. Just gonna save up the whole month, then at the end of the month I'll pay off my cc, insurance, bills, etc, and save the rest. There's no way I should be making $2800 a month and only saving $1000 if my mandatory expenses are only like $800 max

Overall I'm happy. I wanted to save $12,000 (1k a month) but I made a conscious decision to spend and not save in December :lol:. I started saving in August of 2015 and I have close to 20k saved up. Goal this year is to change my spending habits (not spend as much) and also my saving strategy (MINIMUM of $1000 saved per month from now on) oh and not to take so many days off :lol:

I'm in the same boat man. I only saved $25k and spent $20k. NO IDEA what I spent that money on. :smh:

Posting for later and gonna read in this thread.

I'm just under 25, Take home around 2.9K a month after tax and 401k distribution, rent student loans are my fixed costs so around 900 for rent and 900 for student loans.
Just refinanced a 7.625 interest loan to a 5.11 percent (going to save me around 2K with the same terms) FU salliemae/navient

Paid bi weekly soo triple paycheck months go straight to savings.

Just under the 60K mark for student loans looking to be done by 2020.

How long term are these investmenthe options you guys are talking about. I already have a 401k and tda account from my job so my retirement is set. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 10 yr investment Idk if that qualifies as long term or not.
There's no lockup period for any of these. You can take your money out whenever you want depending on what sort of account you decide to invest in (taxable vs retirement), and with a time horizon of ten years you wouldn't be considering any sort of retirement account anyways.

There's no lockup period for any of these. You can take your money out whenever you want depending on what sort of account you decide to invest in (taxable vs retirement), and with a time horizon of ten years you wouldn't be considering any sort of retirement account anyways.
This. I believe you want retirement accounts for 20-30 years .

New year, new money to max out that Roth IRA boys
pimp.gif
This.

900 a month for student loan is crazy. That's almost a third of your take home.

I'm in same boat. Pay about $800 a month in student loans. Thankfully I have VERY cheap rent in apartment outside of Chicago. That's what saves me and fiancee.

I sound like a shill for Betterment at this point but their portfolios are basically all Vanguard products. That plus the fact that they can buy partial shares so every dollar gets put to work.

I currently max out my 401K, and am looking to open a Roth IRA and maybe a few index funds via Fidelity.

My 401K is currently set up through principal.com. Do I want to leave it separate, or would it be wise to move it over to Fidelity? Is it easier to manage your savings under one brokerage?

And my second question is, would a 10% contribution to a Roth IRA be a good start? Or should I invest 10% in an index fund before contributing to an IRA?

Thanks yall. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything :lol: Gonna see how much I can actually put away separate from my other savings/investment accounts this year.

I currently max out my 401K, and am looking to open a Roth IRA and maybe a few index funds via Fidelity.

My 401K is currently set up through principal.com. Do I want to leave it separate, or would it be wise to move it over to Fidelity? Is it easier to manage your savings under one brokerage?

And my second question is, would a 10% contribution to a Roth IRA be a good start? Or should I invest 10% in an index fund before contributing to an IRA?
are you still working there?

it you're not working there, it's defin easier to keep track with one account. once i leave the job, after the waiting period, I move everything over into my vanguard IRA. Most company 401/403/IRA selections are often load with fees. 

if you're still working there, you will have to check your 401k plan and see if they allow a 401k/IRA rollover while still employed. max out, rollover, repeat. I thought about doing this but the yearly paperwork, I decided not too. 

Yup, I'm still working there. This is what I'm trying to contribute to in order of importance:

1) Build Emergency Fund (should get to my goal around spring 2017)

2) 401K

3) Roth IRA

4) Index Funds (if there's any $ left)

Any advice?

Anyone having issues with Lending Club loans defaulting now? I went several months without a loan defaulting at first. Now, I've had 3 with 3 more about to default and another in grace period over the past year. That 1.6% net return isn't so appealing now. At this point, I'm not sure if I should just stick it back in the bank or look to Prosper.

It seems like more loans are defaulting all the time. They pay about half and then just stop. It's like once people think they've paid back the face value of the loan they're done. Pretty strange...

Back
Top Bottom