NT: Official Personal Finances Thread

roll.gif

@Antidope

Last edited:
That article is more about relationships than finances. In any relationship there are always those 2-3 things that are make-or-breaks. But early on, people tend to ignore them because they are blinded/distracted by other good things about the other person.

In her case, of course finances were an issue. Otherwise, why care about his occupation at all? She just decided to sweep it under the rug. She should have just cut her losses after he was evasive and moved on.

Not to take from her argument, but if he did tell her his salary I think they would have still ended it.

If the guy told her he made 100k, but still would rather spend money on a new guitar than on a night out with her she'd still be upset.

Dude seemed like more of a mooch than anything else. Stuck with alimony and child support so he sleeps at her place to save costs, but doesn't make contributions. Its like he moved backed in with his folks after college.

I'm getting my 3-Bureau Credit Report now...........wonder how bad it is..........

I already have a company I have used in the past with amazing results. Sky Blue they are BBB accredited, so yes they are legit from personal experience.

Last edited:
I don't owe anything but I have 6 negatives with TransUnion, 2 with Equifax and 0 with Experian

Not that bad, I think I can't get some stuff fixed.

Last edited:
Got 10-15k spending money, any ideas on how to flip and make a quick buck. Serious ideas?

Got 10-15k spending money, any ideas on how to flip and make a quick buck. Serious ideas?

Depends on what you're willing to risk, and how much work you wanna do. It can range from putting it all on black, to throwing it in a fund account and letting it chill with a modest yearly interest.

Maybe do half and half? :smile:

I need advice NT...

So I'm 26 and currently living in NYC as a freelance art fabricator. I work for a few different shops and am not full time at any of them. Thus, none of them offer me health insurance coverage or a retirement plan.

A couple years ago I was working full time for a wine importing company in San Francisco. I had a PPO and a 401k. It was my very first job post grad and I didn't know what the hell either of those really did for me. Long story short, when I left the company and moved to NYC, my health insurance coverage ended (obviously) however I have no clue what happened with my 401k. My former CFO emailed me just last week to call up my 401k company and have it transferred over to a vanguard account. Again, still over my head...

I'm 26 and ashamed I don't know this stuff. Was my money just sitting in an idle account for a couple years after I left the company? How should I proceed NT?? Thank you!

I need advice NT...

So I'm 26 and currently living in NYC as a freelance art fabricator. I work for a few different shops and am not full time at any of them. Thus, none of them offer me health insurance coverage or a retirement plan.

A couple years ago I was working full time for a wine importing company in San Francisco. I had a PPO and a 401k. It was my very first job post grad and I didn't know what the hell either of those really did for me. Long story short, when I left the company and moved to NYC, my health insurance coverage ended (obviously) however I have no clue what happened with my 401k. My former CFO emailed me just last week to call up my 401k company and have it transferred over to a vanguard account. Again, still over my head...

I'm 26 and ashamed I don't know this stuff. Was my money just sitting in an idle account for a couple years after I left the company? How should I proceed NT?? Thank you!

Was your money idle? No.

A 401K is exposed to the market, so in essence your money was working for you in the equities and/or bond markets. Now whether or not the money grew is another question.

Either way, you're fine by the mere fact that you have some retirement income. That's more than can be said for many your age.

Vanguard is an independent investment management company. They are considered to be among the best in the field, if not the best, for "regular folks" like us because of their low management fees. Here too, you're fine. You can find out more about Vanguard here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanguard_Group and here https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

If you have a choice in the matter, then I'd say let your CFO go through with the 401K rollover/transfer. The only thing I'd recommend for you to do moving forward is to educate yourself on these matters. This is your money; if you don't care for it, no one else will.

Also, and lastly, DON'T withdraw that money. Let it sit in the account and grow. If you withdraw the money, you'll be accessed a 10% "early withdrawal" penalty (can't withdrawal until you're 59.5 years) in addition to being taxed on the income.

Last edited:

I need advice NT...

Was your money idle? No.

A 401K is exposed to the market, so in essence your money was working for you in the equities and/or bond markets. Now whether or not the money grew is another question.

Either way, you're fine by the mere fact that you have some retirement income. That's more than can be said for many your age.

Vanguard is an independent investment management company. They are considered to be among the best in the field, if not the best, for "regular folks" like us because of their low management fees. Here too, you're fine. You can find out more about Vanguard here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vanguard_Group and here https://investor.vanguard.com/home/

If you have a choice in the matter, then I'd say let your CFO go through with the 401K rollover/transfer. The only thing I'd recommend for you to do moving forward is to educate yourself on these matters. This is your money; if you don't care for it, no one else will.

Also, and lastly, DON'T withdraw that money. Let it sit in the account and grow. If you withdraw the money, you'll be accessed a 10% "early withdrawal" penalty (can't withdrawal until you're 59.5 years) in addition to being taxed on the income.
Ditto. To add to this, roll it over to an IRA/Roth IRA. That way you have control over the money and can reallocate it as you want.

You shouldn't be ashamed you don't know this stuff. You should only be ashamed if you don't know this stuff and are afraid to ask.

I just took a shot and started a lending club acct. Let's see how it plays out
Honestly the only serious consideration I can think of is P2P lending. 

Take that 15K and spread it separately across a couple of the riskier loans with interest rates around 20%. IDK about other services but lending club's fee is around 1%.

Realistically any other ideas that will generate any exciting ROI will probably take a near expert level of understanding aka years of study and practice. 

Last edited:
Depends on what you're willing to risk, and how much work you wanna do. It can range from putting it all on black, to throwing it in a fund account and letting it chill with a modest yearly interest.

Yea I hear you, I don't want to let it sit in an account because for example I feel like I can earn more just flipping items. I'm out of the sneaker game, and I don't want to do that.

I was contemplating on buying cars or motorcycles locally, and just flipping them for profit. $100- $1000 here and there. But then I have to look into the whole liability issue.

Yea I hear you, I don't want to let it sit in an account because for example I feel like I can earn more just flipping items. I'm out of the sneaker game, and I don't want to do that.

I was contemplating on buying cars or motorcycles locally, and just flipping them for profit. $100- $1000 here and there. But then I have to look into the whole liability issue.

If you decide to take the flipping route look into event tickets. The same as sneakers as far as im concerned but you can do it all over the computer and never have to store kicks.

So, for almost two years I have been contributing about 18% of every paycheck to my 401k. My employer matches 5% total which is 100% for the first 3% and 50% for the remaining 2%. My question is, should I keep contributing or should I contribute enough for the employer match and put the difference in a Roth IRA?

So, for almost two years I have been contributing about 18% of every paycheck to my 401k. My employer matches 5% total which is 100% for the first 3% and 50% for the remaining 2%. My question is, should I keep contributing or should I contribute enough for the employer match and put the difference in a Roth IRA?

The latter, you've got more options to put in an IRA than a employer's 401k and it gives you more flexibility too

Last edited:
The second. Contribute to the employer match, then max out the Roth IRA, then go back to the 401k. The employer match is basically free money which is an automatic 100% and 50% ROI respectively. Then the Roth IRA will be a better choice for the rest because the money will grow tax free which will allow it to grow even more.

Yea contributing up to the limit of the employer match is the most important thing. Like crc said, the closest thing to literal free money.

Just got my 2nd credit card upgraded to quicksilver capital one. Now both my credit cards have rewards 1.5% cash back. She told me to apply for line increase also but I think I'll wait because I'm fixing things right now.

Back
Top Bottom