NT how much do you pay for rent/mortgage monthly?

Originally Posted by Coolidge Effect

1000 for a 3bdrm 2.5 bath in Atlanta Georgia

if you want cheap rent move to Atlanta.

eek.gif
I could live like a champ on that. Is that like downtown area or outside of ATL?

Originally Posted by CelticsFan9783

Do you all pay the rent on your own or split it with roomies?

Update: Spoke with my landlord/friend and told him that I won't be moving in this weekend and will be looking for cheaper housing. He got a little pissed, but is a silver spoon child so I know he'll be fine. His mom is stupid rich. He offered to reduce the rent to $500/month. I think he was given the house by his parents and is now just trying to make a buck off of me and my other future roommate. Don't really know what to make of the situation, but don't give too much of a damb either because I know his family's background.
why do you care what his motives are? obv if he's renting something he is either subsidizing his own mortgage or if the house was just given to him then he's making a profit- neither should matter to you

look at the market and see what else you can get for $500 - security and first month is standard for rental agreements- just make sure you sign something saying you get your deposit back when you bounce

the other factor is do you want to live with these people? if your looking into splitting rooms and stuff its prob best to be with people you know and trust

asking what other people pay is not really relative...theres nt'ers all over the world ....what some dude is paying for a loft in soho has no real relation to what you should expect to pay

Originally Posted by dadecounty11

$1420 rent for a 2 BR 1 1/2 bath in Columbia, MD. No utilities included.

How do you like Columbia? I'm considering buying a house up there, but I'm kind of hesistant because it feels so far from everything. I currently live in Montgomery County and it would be a good 30-45 drive to get back around my way where all my friends and family live.

yaw make me feel better about my situation lol
i pay $690 2br 1.5bath + electric & cable pgh, pa

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

How do you like Columbia? I'm considering buying a house up there, but I'm kind of hesistant because it feels so far from everything. I currently live in Montgomery County and it would be a good 30-45 drive to get back around my way where all my friends and family live.
Born-and-raised Columbia'er checking in. Are you set on Columbia? Because you can get a home just across the line in Elkridge for about 20-25% cheaper. What makes you want to move from MoCo to HoCo though?
Towson, MD:

$1,055 2BR-1BA

It's walking distance to school and is one of the least busted complexes for parties. But I'm looking to get a house for Senior year.

all you va ppl rip...lol i used to live in alexandria paying 1400 for 700 sq ft...if you can...make the move to md.

If you care about convenience, stay out of Columbia, not worth it at all IMO. the traffic is horrible going into Montgomery/ PG Counties. For work, I leave at 5:30 am to get to Silver Spring and it takes roughly 45 mins to get there. Columbia has horrible public transportation as well. The only redeeming quality is the school system but that should only matter if you have little kids. I would also think twice about buying property in Howard County because property taxes are some of the highest in the state
sick.gif
, and have increased every year. My dad is talking about selling his house there because of the tax rate increases.   

I like Columbia.  I used to live in Laurel when I was stationed at Fort Meade, but I kept hearing about Columbia, and when my lease expired I moved up there.  It's quiet, has a nice atmosphere with lots of trees and woods and stuff.  It is a bit out of the way, and things are spread out.  It's not like a typical town where you can just go to the corner McDonalds whenever you want.  I have to drive a little bit to get places, but it's worth it.  The schools are good.  Howard Co is pretty good about school which was important to me, because my kids are 11 and 7.  The Columbia mall is nice.   Merriweather Post Pavilion is there too and there are usually concerts in the summer, and events going on all year long.  It's pricey to live there, but not as pricey as other places. 

But like someone already said, Elkridge is nice too.  That whole area is nice, but still too expensive.  I work in south DC right off 295/Anacostia, and its a 45 minute - 1 hour drive to work everyday. 

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

If you care about convenience, stay out of Columbia, not worth it at all IMO. the traffic is horrible going into Montgomery/ PG Counties. For work, I leave at 5:30 am to get to Silver Spring and it takes roughly 45 mins to get there. Columbia has horrible public transportation as well. The only redeeming quality is the school system but that should only matter if you have little kids. I would also think twice about buying property in Howard County because property taxes are some of the highest in the state
sick.gif
, and have increased every year. My dad is talking about selling his house there because of the tax rate increases.   

Traffic is pretty bad.  I leave at 620ish and get to DC at about 710.  

I'm thinking of moving to Silver Springs after my current lease expires.  I need to some more research on it as far as the schools and prices, but it seems like a viable spot to get closer to DC.  That hour+ commute twice a day is killing me.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

all you va ppl rip...lol i used to live in alexandria paying 1400 for 700 sq ft...if you can...make the move to md.
Quality of Living anywhere in Nova > Quality of living anywhere in MD (with Mo and Howard county being exceptions and I hate both of those counties with a passion)

Bay Area cost of living FTL. I'm saving up $ at home before I move to SF next fall (that's when two of my boys graduate, I need all the roommates I can get
laugh.gif
).
I was living in Santa Barbara (Isla Vista to be specific) and I was paying 650-700 during my 3 years of living in apartments. That's including 3 other roommates and not including utilities. And the quality of the apartments
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
If any of you younger dudes ever go to school down there, be prepared to live in slum conditions while paying the rent of a big city apartment

As of this year, $850 that includes utilities (water, trash, and sewage) But the gas, electricity and cable/internet is seperate.

Pretty damn good deal if you ask me, especially when you're at the Heart of Las Vegas in a one story 2450+ sqft. house with 2-car garage and backyard.
pimp.gif

Born-and-raised Columbia'er checking in. Are you set on Columbia? Because you can get a home just across the line in Elkridge for about 20-25% cheaper. What makes you want to move from MoCo to HoCo though?
Towson, MD:

$1,055 2BR-1BA

It's walking distance to school and is one of the least busted complexes for parties. But I'm looking to get a house for Senior year.

My wife and I aren't set on anywhere yet and we have just started looking. We are thinking about Columbia because we found a house we really like that is in our price range, which is hard to do in Montgomery County because everything is so expensive around here. We also found some places in Elkridge that we like, but we didn't know much about that area either. How is Elkridge incomparison to Columbia?

sick.gif

Even with the ICC traffic is horrible? I would probably be coming down 29 and hopping on the ICC to go to Rockville everyday. As far as tax increases go, Montgomery County has gone up every year also except for this year. I was reading that it is because tax assesments are lagging behind the housing market decline. Hopefully it is the same for Howard Coutny, but if not we will definitely think twice before buying there.

I like Columbia. I used to live in Laurel when I was stationed at Fort Meade, but I kept hearing about Columbia, and when my lease expired I moved up there. It's quiet, has a nice atmosphere with lots of trees and woods and stuff. It is a bit out of the way, and things are spread out. It's not like a typical town where you can just go to the corner McDonalds whenever you want. I have to drive a little bit to get places, but it's worth it. The schools are good. Howard Co is pretty good about school which was important to me, because my kids are 11 and 7. The Columbia mall is nice. Merriweather Post Pavilion is there too and there are usually concerts in the summer, and events going on all year long. It's pricey to live there, but not as pricey as other places.

But like someone already said, Elkridge is nice too. That whole area is nice, but still too expensive. I work in south DC right off 295/Anacostia, and its a 45 minute - 1 hour drive to work everyday.

Traffic is pretty bad. I leave at 620ish and get to DC at about 710.

I'm thinking of moving to Silver Springs after my current lease expires. I need to some more research on it as far as the schools and prices, but it seems like a viable spot to get closer to DC. That hour+ commute twice a day is killing me.
Yea my wife and I like Columbia also because it seems really peaceful and quite. We go to Columbia Mall and the movie theater every once in a while when we want to get away from everything going on in Downtown Silver Spring/Rockville. Could you elaborate more on Elkridge also? Like how are the schools and safety?

Also if you need any help finding a place in Silver Spring or just some ideas where to look, let me know. I've been here my whole life and I used to work in property management, so I know where the good areas are.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

Quality of Living anywhere in Nova > Quality of living anywhere in MD (with Mo and Howard county being exceptions and I hate both of those counties with a passion)
to each their own. but ive had bad experiences living in va break-ins and whatnot...as oppose to md. everythign has been smooth sailing *knocks on wood*

moving in a condo february 1st I'm paying 1200 a month for a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom in oak lawn suburb of Chicago

my buddy rents out an apartment in the fullerton/brea area. got the tenants paying his mortgage AND SOME.
eek.gif

he's using the extra monthly cash to pay for his m3
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Moved into a house this year (grad. college in May '11) with three other friends in Minneapolis... we each pay $500 w/o utilities. Pretty decent, although the neighborhood is very questionable.

Towson, MD:

$1,055 2BR-1BA

My wife and I aren't set on anywhere yet and we have just started looking. We are thinking about Columbia because we found a house we really like that is in our price range, which is hard to do in Montgomery County because everything is so expensive around here. We also found some places in Elkridge that we like, but we didn't know much about that area either. How is Elkridge incomparison to Columbia?

sick.gif

Even with the ICC traffic is horrible? I would probably be coming down 29 and hopping on the ICC to go to Rockville everyday. As far as tax increases go, Montgomery County has gone up every year also except for this year. I was reading that it is because tax assesments are lagging behind the housing market decline. Hopefully it is the same for Howard Coutny, but if not we will definitely think twice before buying there.

I like Columbia. I used to live in Laurel when I was stationed at Fort Meade, but I kept hearing about Columbia, and when my lease expired I moved up there. It's quiet, has a nice atmosphere with lots of trees and woods and stuff. It is a bit out of the way, and things are spread out. It's not like a typical town where you can just go to the corner McDonalds whenever you want. I have to drive a little bit to get places, but it's worth it. The schools are good. Howard Co is pretty good about school which was important to me, because my kids are 11 and 7. The Columbia mall is nice. Merriweather Post Pavilion is there too and there are usually concerts in the summer, and events going on all year long. It's pricey to live there, but not as pricey as other places.

But like someone already said, Elkridge is nice too. That whole area is nice, but still too expensive. I work in south DC right off 295/Anacostia, and its a 45 minute - 1 hour drive to work everyday.

Traffic is pretty bad. I leave at 620ish and get to DC at about 710.

I'm thinking of moving to Silver Springs after my current lease expires. I need to some more research on it as far as the schools and prices, but it seems like a viable spot to get closer to DC. That hour+ commute twice a day is killing me.
Yea my wife and I like Columbia also because it seems really peaceful and quite. We go to Columbia Mall and the movie theater every once in a while when we want to get away from everything going on in Downtown Silver Spring/Rockville. Could you elaborate more on Elkridge also? Like how are the schools and safety?

Also if you need any help finding a place in Silver Spring or just some ideas where to look, let me know. I've been here my whole life and I used to work in property management, so I know where the good areas are.

I don't know too much about Elkridge.  I know its close to Anne Arundel county, like right inbetween 95 and the BW Parkway.  My son played pop-warner for Elkridge Hurricanes, so that as the only time I really went into Elkridge.  From what I saw it was nice and quiet too.  But I'm sorry I don't have more info on it.

2,700 in NYC for an Alcove Studio --- almost moved to Miami for a 2 BR with a good friend for 1,100 a month and it had a terrace, pool, and ocean

$685 Studio in the Bronx. Utilities included. But I think rent is subsidized by my school, since they own the buildings. Living expenses stipend FTW
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom