NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

i'm about to move into my new place as well, and looking from the past few pages, it seems that Sling TV, Set TV or YT TV might be the way to go. I still have to do research on which one is the best option, but either way, i refuse to pay $90+ for Optimum cable

i'm about to move into my new place as well, and looking from the past few pages, it seems that Sling TV, Set TV or YT TV might be the way to go. I still have to do research on which one is the best option, but either way, i refuse to pay $90+ for Optimum cable

Yeah man, do your research and find what works for you. Number of streams, performance, and channels are most important, in that order. If you have 5 people in the house, 2 concurrent streams won't work. If the performance is terrible and has a crappy interface you will be frustrated. While it's nice to have alot of channels, don't fall into the trap of making sure you have channels that you never are going to watch anyway. After I switched to a streaming platform, I found myself watching less TV at home, but I did find myself looking at TV while outside of the house on my phone. I never did that before.

Yeah man, do your research and find what works for you. Number of streams, performance, and channels are most important, in that order. If you have 5 people in the house, 2 concurrent streams won't work. If the performance is terrible and has a crappy interface you will be frustrated. While it's nice to have alot of channels, don't fall into the trap of making sure you have channels that you never are going to watch anyway. After I switched to a streaming platform, I found myself watching less TV at home, but I did find myself looking at TV while outside of the house on my phone. I never did that before.

Thanks dude. It will only be my wife and I, and we already have netflix and amazon prime. Honestly, we don't even watch much TV. At first, i was just going to get bunny ears and then Netflix the rest. But it would be cool to have the option of watching cable every now and then, when we have free time, or whenever we have guests over. We also have a Roku, and an HDMI adapter for our iphones/ipads. Sling TV looks like a good option b/c its compatible with Roku and it's the cheapest, but SetTV is the same price and offers many more channels. The only thing with Set TV is that Roku is not compatible, so i would have to get a fire stick or another compatible device. And we are only planning to use it for 3 TVs (living room, bedroom and basement).

SetTV seems way too good to be true, unless I'm reading the site wrong.

How are you getting the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc) included in that $20 a month price?

Thanks dude. It will only be my wife and I, and we already have netflix and amazon prime. Honestly, we don't even watch much TV. At first, i was just going to get bunny ears and then Netflix the rest. But it would be cool to have the option of watching cable every now and then, when we have free time, or whenever we have guests over. We also have a Roku, and an HDMI adapter for our iphones/ipads. Sling TV looks like a good option b/c its compatible with Roku and it's the cheapest, but SetTV is the same price and offers many more channels. The only thing with Set TV is that Roku is not compatible, so i would have to get a fire stick or another compatible device. And we are only planning to use it for 3 TVs (living room, bedroom and basement).

I'm on YouTubeTV now. I have been through pretty much all of them. Started with Sling, the performance at that time was horrendous, moved to DirecTVNow at it's launch and it was pretty bad at that time, moved to Vue which I liked, but hated the interface and they raised the prices so I dipped. YouTubeTV has been best for me. I watch it through my Xbox and stream from my phone to the other TVs with built-in Chromecasts. That works for me. The performance has been great and the price is about what I want to pay for. I believe they have a Roku app as well now.

It's funny, people though that freedom from cable companies would mean lower prices, but it's clear now it's just cable by a different name.

I may try YouTube TV eventually. But right now, using the apps and watching only specific channels have been beneficial for us.

Fios Internet + Jailbroken Firestick (Mobdro app is :pimp:) + Tv Antenna for local channels

All I need

Do you absolutely need a cable plan to order boxing ppv’s? I’m not trying to stream important fights btw lol

Wouldn't surprise me as more people leave DTV and Cable to these other options, prices will be go up.

Do you absolutely need a cable plan to order boxing ppv’s? I’m not trying to stream important fights btw lol

To be honest I think you do, but I could be totally wrong. I had people over this past Saturday and thought about ordering UFC, but I didn't bother looking into it further.

To be honest I think you do, but I could be totally wrong. I had people over this past Saturday and thought about ordering UFC, but I didn't bother looking into it further.

Not sure about boxing PPVs, but you can order UFC ppvs through UFC Fight Pass (the UFC Network App) and have the ppv streamed through there. Maybe the same can be done for Showtime/HBO Boxing PPVS on the HBO or Showtime app?

I may try YouTube TV eventually. But right now, using the apps and watching only specific channels have been beneficial for us.
Did you try out YouTube TV? I'm thinking about trying it out next month since it will be March madness. Most of the live TV I watch is sports anyway.

Did you try out YouTube TV? I'm thinking about trying it out next month since it will be March madness. Most of the live TV I watch is sports anyway.
I haven't had the time sign up for it, yet. But may do so this weekend. Idk if I want to pay an addition $35 when I don't watch as much TV.

I've been using it since I moved, no complaints. They recently added TNT, TBS, few others just a few weeks ago. NBA TV & MLB Network is due next.

But there's a bit of bad news that comes along with this: New YouTube TV subscriptions will now cost $40, up from the $35 price that the service has cost since launch. The price increase will hit on March 13th, so new potential customers still have a month to get in the door and lock in the $35 rate; existing subscribers won't see a change to their bill at all.

$40 isn’t bad for youtube tv. For fios i’m paying $54 for tv, $50 for internet, and $30 for phone. Will drop all but internet and buy digital antennas for the local channels and maybe chrome casts or rokus for the tv’s in the house.

im lovin YouTubeRed, man so glad i don't have to watch stupid commercials anymore. will be extending my service after my free trial, is up. On of the things that irk me using youtube was watching commercials even on 1 minute videos when the commercial are 1:30 long or longer

Regular youtube is annoying as hell. Having an ad in the behinning of a video was tolerable but having 2-3 commercials in the middle of a video is ridiculous.

All that’s missing is NFL Network

I’m paying $110 for cable and internet via TWC/Spectrum so no point in “cutting the cord” but good to see streaming come this cheap

Back
Top Bottom