NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Because running openelec is the truest form of running xbmc. I dont wanna run it ontop of Android Bloatware. We can compare speed, streams, reliabilty, etc. my Asus Chromebox > amazon firetv
pretty much or any variation make of a mini pc will kill a amazon fire tv, atv, roku etc..... my only issue now is that pretty much etv (basically like cable channel/program guide gui.... and on demand type of features/repos) arent being supported much anymore and the few ppl who do it like ustv etc... now charge for this service. Granted it is cheaper then cable, and you could just go to repos etc... like navi-z or sportsdevil...and just scroll to you find the channel/program you want. but i miss just being able to just go str8 to live tv and scroll the same way i would like using directv or comcast etc...

They got chromebox at bb?? If so I'm gonna go buy it right now. Been meaning to do that..with football season coming up imma need dem HD streams for free99..I've read on it and it seems pretty straight forward to setup and I'm already familiar with xbmc.

Hmm says its available on their website..but I don't see any available for pick up today..wonder if I should take my chances or just overnight it from amazon.

Edit: seen its available at micro center wonder I'd they'll price match best buy gonna head out that way right nkw. Wish me luck.

Edit#2

4 hours later we are up and running
View media item 1149111
Gonna go hook her up in my room now and be g2g good looking out lokid..prolly sell my gbox or throw it in the basement.

Last edited:
I already have a gbox but I'm thinking of switching things up if the chromebox is better. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Asus, and HP chromebox? My local best buy has both in stock.

Is there a big different in the i3 and Celeron processor when it comes to streaming the HD content?

They got chromebox at bb?? If so I'm gonna go buy it right now. Been meaning to do that..with football season coming up imma need dem HD streams for free99..I've read on it and it seems pretty straight forward to setup and I'm already familiar with xbmc.

Hmm says its available on their website..but I don't see any available for pick up today..wonder if I should take my chances or just overnight it from amazon.

Edit: seen its available at micro center wonder I'd they'll price match best buy gonna head out that way right nkw. Wish me luck.

Edit#2

4 hours later we are up and running
View media item 1149111
Gonna go hook her up in my room now and be g2g good looking out lokid..prolly sell my gbox or throw it in the basement.
Awesome man! Tell me how u like it, hit me up with any questions

Is there a big different in the i3 and Celeron processor when it comes to streaming the HD content?
No difference, the celeron model is way more enough power to run/play xbmc-openelec. You can do what i did and bump up ur ram to 4gb ($21), and you'll never see ur cpu running over 15% even on an HD stream.

Does adding 2gbs make a huge difference in performance? Seems fairly easy to do

Last edited:
No difference, the celeron model is way more enough power to run/play xbmc-openelec. You can do what i did and bump up ur ram to 4gb ($21), and you'll never see ur cpu running over 15% even on an HD stream.
Cool cool thanks again. I was at best buy thinking with one I needed

Genesis is hands down the best addon for movies and tvshows. Lots of HD content.

Also cartoonHD has good content

Genesis is hands down the best addon for movies and tvshows. Lots of HD content.

Also cartoonHD has good content

I agree with this. When i get home from work, my usual visits are Veetle, youtube, then genesis addon. Sometimes i'll go to 1channel-->featured movies, just to see what was releases today

I just saw this in the forums from the developer!

Today 10:27 Post: #91

Version 1.0.4
-Configuration has been written "from scratch". It's now possible for us to force the user to push module updates between versions.
-It is now possible to change acestreamengine settings from the advanced tools menu for linux
-Fixed non-existing folder if the first thing a user does after instalation is to clear the parser traces or run a remote python script
-Added sleep before sopcast "channel initialization failed" notification
-Minor bug fixes
-Wiki updated

Unfortunately once you run the addon (v.1.0.4) both engines will be downloaded again. This will save the version to your settings and make possible to check for module updates between addon updates.

Cheers

Guys xbmc can b e put on your phone and streamed to your tv. that is what info when I'm on the road and use a hdmi stick

Looking to cut the cord pretty soon. DirecTV is tripping :smh:

What's the differences and advantages of the Chromebox and Apple TV (2nd Gen) compared to each other? Beside price of course.

Last edited:
I'm cable free 10 months out of the year. I used to pay $100 a month for internet and cable. Now I pay $50 bucks a month just for broadband internet. 10 months X $50 = $500 savings a year.

I can do a lot with $500.

Why 10 months and not a full year you ask? I re-connect during the NBA playoffs. Because **** that, I need to watch the playoffs. It's well worth the $100 I'll pay for those two months.

In openelec, download Chromium browser.  Basically Chrome browser for your HTPC, so you can play  everything on the web (html5).  Peep my speed test (wireless N + Engenius router):

Last edited:

Discussing or promoting illegal, pirated media streams will get you banned.
Hi Meth - question because I don't want to get banned.....is grabbing a stream using your owned sling box illegal?

-  i have a slingbox in another state that broadcasts local tv/sports, I live in AZ, I'm able to get blacked-out games using this method....can I discuss this here?

xbmc is pretty cool from what i've used so far. It's not very reliable though. It's too common I'll try to watch a tv show and I'll be stuck at buffering. Sometimes it works w/o hiccups. Issue is with the server or too many people are on it. Can't even get ppv boxing on it. It's a bunch of ads wanting you to give them money. If you really like watching tv then this won't work for you. It's only good for casual watchers like me or simply to supplement your cable tv.

xbmc is pretty cool from what i've used so far. It's not very reliable though. It's too common I'll try to watch a tv show and I'll be stuck at buffering. Sometimes it works w/o hiccups. Issue is with the server or too many people are on it. Can't even get ppv boxing on it. It's a bunch of ads wanting you to give them money. If you really like watching tv then this won't work for you. It's only good for casual watchers like me or simply to supplement your cable tv.

Huh? Ive ben without cable for 6months and im watching hd streams with no lag, buffering, or hiccups. I watch hd sports using p2p addon and its flawless. The more people online streaming the better since its p2p like torrents. What system are u running?

Huh? Ive ben without cable for 6months and im watching hd streams with no lag, buffering, or hiccups. I watch hd sports using p2p addon and its flawless. The more people online streaming the better since its p2p like torrents. What system are u running?
You can't watch live tv in HD. On Navi x, and some of the other sports channels, it's all SD quality. You're experienced in xbmc, put us up on game how to do this p2p addon. Is that going to allow me to watch "better" boxing? I'm on the latest Gotham.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom