NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

My year of rest and relaxation was awesome. Really funny and dark.

Started Lincoln in the bardo. Interesting concept that gets lost in a joycean universe. Not crazy about it from an enjoyable perspective. Little too modernist and academic for me. Feel like the story got swept up in pretentiousness and misfired.

Glad I found this thread. How do you guys choose the books you read?

It all starts with finding the right stories, topics and subject matter that you would be interested in reading and then going from there. For example, I love reading about Black/African history, so I point to topics within that subject and I choose what I want to read about. At the moment I'm reading books on Black music and historical Black music figures.

The goal is to find your niche so it will keep you engaged and interested. If not, you'll stop reading and prolly won't get back to it for a long time. Reading should not just be a learning experience, but it should be enriching as well. Good luck in your search.

If you like fiction and have nowhere to start, try just reading stories from the New Yorker and when you like a story research more by that author and go from there. That’s how I fell in love with Rachel Kushner and jennifer egan’s Writings.

Glad I found this thread. How do you guys choose the books you read?

I usually start with some fiction, something fun to read to get my juices flowing. Then i move on to something dense and deeply thought provoking.

Certain authors just have interesting writing styles. off the top of my head i'd read a book by chuck palahnuick, then the next book would be "the idea factory, story of bel labs"

johnnyredstorm johnnyredstorm , keep 'em coming. I'm tailing your suggestions.

Last four books I've read:
"On Desperate Ground" by Hampton Sides (Korean War).
"Nottingham" by Nathan Makaryk (spin on Robin Hood).
"Red Card" by Ken Bensinger (soccer corruption).
"The Mastermind" by Evan Ratliff (Paul Le Roux's criminal enterprise).

Been bush this week so I didn’t finish anything. But started Washington Black. Really good so far. About a young boy who is a slave and goes on an adventure with the plantation owners brother.

Also reading Exit West which I really like so far. A Love Story about two refugees in the Middle East (not sure where) who eventually have to leave their lives behind for a new opportunity.

Just picked this up

%7B5AB92933-3F32-4B68-90DE-17152A614D98%7DImg400.jpg

Loved Exit West. Great story about migration and trying to find your life. Little magical realism but not much. Fantastic read.

Just finished this. About a night club fire that happened in RI in 2003 that killed 100 people. SUPER detailed. Everything from how a concert venue should be run, to personal accounts including the negligence of the owners, to how fires burn, to civil lawsuits that followed. Would recommend. Incredible tragedy but excellent read.

KillerShow jacket.jpg

Currently reading "Marita: The Spy Who Loved Castro." Marita Lorenz's memoir. A movie is in the works with Jennifer Lawrence playing the lead. Marita's life intersects with WWII, Fidel Castro, Marcos Perez Jimenez and the JFK assassination.

Finished "Marita" quickly. Started "Lenin: The Man, the Dictator, and the Master of Terror" by Victor Sebestyen. This one gonna consume me for a while, with just under 600 pages.

I have "Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland" by Patrick Radden Keefe queued.

I just can’t find the time to really sit down to read Washington Black. It’s a great, throwback epic but it commands your time to read. Started History of Wolves yesterday. Decent so far, interesting premise.

Still working on this Lenin read, about 150+ pages in. But just scooped "Dead Wrong" by Randall Sullivan (Biggie's murder) and "Beneath the Tamarind Tree" by Isha Sesay (lost schoolgirls of Boko Haram) to add to the collection.

Just picked this up

%7B5AB92933-3F32-4B68-90DE-17152A614D98%7DImg400.jpg
listening to this one on audibles i feel like its dragging for me
TBH all ive gotten so far after listening half way of the audible is the following:
Invest in stocks because in the long run itll outperform all kinds of bonds an any other form of investments
try and have both a ROTH IRA and a 401K/403B since u can have 6K to ROTH IRA after tax and 19K to 401K giving you a 25K a yr contribution
even if its a couple bucs the earlier you start contributing the better
take advantage of the dollar for dollar matching of employer 401ks
take advantage of any savings whether it be credit cards that give cash back or miles to travel/ book travels way in advance for the cost of saving

Added to my collection:
"Brazillionaires" by Alex Cuadros
"Leaders" by Gen. Stanley McChrystal
"Midnight in Peking" by Paul French
"Battle for the Marble Palace" by Michael Bobelian

Might scoop "Shortest Way Home" by Mayor Pete Buttigieg.

listening to this one on audibles i feel like its dragging for me
TBH all ive gotten so far after listening half way of the audible is the following:
Invest in stocks because in the long run itll outperform all kinds of bonds an any other form of investments
try and have both a ROTH IRA and a 401K/403B since u can have 6K to ROTH IRA after tax and 19K to 401K giving you a 25K a yr contribution
even if its a couple bucs the earlier you start contributing the better
take advantage of the dollar for dollar matching of employer 401ks
take advantage of any savings whether it be credit cards that give cash back or miles to travel/ book travels way in advance for the cost of saving
I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday that I had a chance to read for a while. It's dragging a bit but, I'll give it a chance and finish it.

I'm fairly new and looking to grasp on all beginner type of information for investing so hopefully I can learn some stuff through this book before I decide to hop on to another book.

after im done with the investment guide book gonna give the david goggins one a try

Which one is it? Seems like I'm on the same path as you.

I was actually thinking the same thing yesterday that I had a chance to read for a while. It's dragging a bit but, I'll give it a chance and finish it.

I'm fairly new and looking to grasp on all beginner type of information for investing so hopefully I can learn some stuff through this book before I decide to hop on to another book.

im planning on finishing it as well even though its dragging but you can deff learn somethin from it if your new to investment books or investing in general

Which one is it? Seems like I'm on the same path as you.

im planning on finishing it as well even though its dragging but you can deff learn somethin from it if your new to investment books or investing in general

the david goggins book is the "cant hurt me"

Added to collection:
"Shortest Way Home" by Pete Buttigieg (political).
"Game Changers" by Dave Asprey (leadership).
"Under Red Skies" by Karoline Kan (China).
"Long Shot" by Azad Cudi (anti-ISIS sniper).
"Surprise, Kill, Vanish" by Annie Jacobsen (CIA).
"The Queen" by Josh Levin (Linda Taylor).
"Texas Flood" by Alan Paul & Andy Aledort (SRV).
"Pure Heart" by Rajia Hassib (Egyptian, Muslim culture).
"The Tubman Command" by Elizabeth Cobbs (author from "Hamilton").

Back
Top Bottom