NT Bikers (2 wheels with pedals), help me chose a commuter bike.

I'm looking to pick up a good bike to commute to/from work with. Its a 12 mile round trip, paved road surface. Have no idea what to get.

Specialized Sirrus? Good choice? What others should I consider?

View media item 196331
Help please :smile:

Last edited:
That bike looks like it'll suit your needs, but I would recommend trying craigslist. Bikes on craigslist generally sell for about half of what they retail for new. So if your budget is 500 you should be able to get a bike that retailed for 1k. That means upgraded parts and components and better overall quality and ride.

Here is my bike. Trek 7.5 FX

(Not my pic but its the same model, color & year.)

Something like that would be fine - faster than a mountain bike but with room for comfier and more durable tires.

Craigslist is a great idea too. You often find bikes that have literally only done 100 miles and are basically new. You'll get something much better that way than buying new.

whats the farthest youve commuted on a bike? this one guy i used to know would put around 20 miles per day round trip.

Yeah, that's as far as I've gone. My regular commute is 5 miles but on a Wednesday I do 10 each way. That's reasonable and doesn't take long.

I know guys who do over 40 miles but that's pretty hardcore.

I ride a regular race bike in the summer and right now I'm on my single speed cyclocross bike - full mudguards, low maintenance and disc brakes. Perfect for this time of year.

Last edited:
I do around 10 miles a day to and from work, errands, gym, etc on a Cannondale Bad Boy 9. It's an urban hybrid style bike. Admittedly it is a little bit expensive and part of that is due to how sick it looks but i like it a lot. The standard advice for commuters is to mount a rack on the back with panniers (side bags) and to get fenders. I got a rear fender but havent bothered yet with a rack. I make due fine with a backpack.

GET A FIXED GEAR BRO :smile:

Heck no! I need gearzzzzz

First time ever commuting to/from work on a bike. Doing it to get some extra cardio in :smokin . I'll def. check out craigslist. I never buy new.

Heard good things about the Trek FX, will check that out also! Man, I want a Sirrus but $600 new, I can't find one used...yet :x :smh:

If you're trying to be a wise guy, actually BE a wise guy and do your research first. Fire up those neurons http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biker
I don't really know how to interpret your comment. But with all the smugness NT has now a days + all over the internet, I'm going to take it as disrespect.

Wikipedia, the source of all true and infinite knowledge :rolleyes

Plus my statement has nothing to do with research or neuron firing. It is from knowledge of those 2 distinct and different communites; the bikers and the cyclists.

And sure, take it as disrespect, :smokin

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/biker

Sorry, I just like backing up my reasoning :smile: . If they're distinct differences, then the English language begs to differ. You're pretty much saying everyone should call black/red Jordan XI's "BREDS", when in fact that is just a DISTINCT SLANG term adopted by those in the community. Them being the only ones who understand.

Take it as a lesson.

Been searching craigslist for a Trek FX or Specialized Sirrus. Hopefully something comes along really soon, I don't want to go the new route.

Last edited:
Original bike you posted should be fine for you. Look into cyclocross bikes too, good for riding in bad weather and even taking on some light dirt trails on the weekend. Make sure you know what size you are first before buying used. A lot of people see a bike that looks good and is in their price range but doesn't fit them. Can damage your knees and could be an overall terrible ride if the bike is too small or big for you. Can even go into a bike shop and browse and see what they can recommend, can even recommend a size for you and take that knowledge and get something used. One good thing about buying from a shop is the support you'll get from them, repair wise, discounts on accessories, etc. I'm a road cyclist and know tons about road bikes.

Original bike you posted should be fine for you. Look into cyclocross bikes too, good for riding in bad weather and even taking on some light dirt trails on the weekend. Make sure you know what size you are first before buying used. A lot of people see a bike that looks good and is in their price range but doesn't fit them. Can damage your knees and could be an overall terrible ride if the bike is too small or big for you. Can even go into a bike shop and browse and see what they can recommend, can even recommend a size for you and take that knowledge and get something used. One good thing about buying from a shop is the support you'll get from them, repair wise, discounts on accessories, etc. I'm a road cyclist and know tons about road bikes.

Nice to know! I am def. going to get fitted at my bike shop this weekend. I'm going to check out some cyclocross bikes.

Back
Top Bottom