Now THIS is how you respond to arrogance, Vol. Red Sox Nation Induction

^Preach. Eventhough I hate your 'Angels', backing us is always a plus
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Monta Ellis

The Red Sox are nothing like the Yankees in any way other than the big payroll.

The Red Sox have what is universally considered a top 3 farm system in the majors. They don't develop talent? Ellsbury? Buchholz? Masterson? Lowrie? Lars Anderson?

They're STACKED down on the farm. Combine that with a pitching staff of young studs (Papelbon, Beckett, Matsuzaka, MDC, Okajima, Lester, etc), and a core of very good experienced players (Manny, Ortiz, Lowell, etc)...

How are they like the Yankees in any way other than a big payroll? Epstein has built a dynasty in Boston. His plans are aimed at long-term and short-term success. The guy is fallible (see: Drew, Lugo), but he is a genius.

Get out of here with the "Red Sox are becoming the Yankees" nonsense. That is simply uninformed rhetoric, born from ignorance.

SON, how are you talking about ignorance with that garbage?
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif

You're talking about the Red Sox system like its superior to the yankees when ours is BETTER.

Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain>Any single pitcher in the red sox farm system and I'd put everything I have on that. Name me any good player in thered sox farm system and I'll name you one just as good or better in the yankees and we'll keep doing that until one is standing. One thing Theo gotlucky on is he acquired Becket who was garbage in his first year so he took a major paycut so the Sox are underpaying heavily for an ace. Becket should reallybe making Santana money but hes making Gil Meche money.

Honestly, I don't have time to argue.

Look into how people like Beckett, Crisp, Lowell, etc were acquired.

As for Yankees vs. Red Sox farm systems. Red Sox are top 3 in every list you will find for a reason.

Originally Posted by VARISOXFAN

Red Sox actually devolp talent. Not sure how you can compare them.

The Yankees dont develop talent? Melky, Joba, Hughes, Kennedy?
nerd.gif

how do the red sox develop talent.......... Becket and Lowell trade manny free agent ortiz free agent schilling free agent dice k free agent common dudes

As for Yankees vs. Red Sox farm systems. Red Sox are top 3 in every list you will find for a reason.

In other words, you know you're wrong so you'll just shut up. The Yankees farm is one of the best as well. I think 'ranking' farm systemsis stupid IMO, you're either good or bad, but baseball america has the yankees (2) ahead of the red sox (6) so I guess they aren't top 3 on every listI'll find.

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

In other words, you know you're wrong so you'll just shut up. The Yankees farm is one of the best as well. I think 'ranking' farm systems is stupid IMO, you're either good or bad, but baseball america has the yankees (2) ahead of the red sox (6) so I guess they aren't top 3 on every list I'll find.
And Baseball America is THE best prospect & farm system ranking of players compared to ANY.

I don't care for the Yankees, I don't care for the Red Sox.

but i'll admit it...i liked that '04 Sox team and wanted them to win.

"the idiots," "Cowboy UP," the way they played...taking shots of whiskey before games....my kinda team.
glasses.gif

Got this off another board....here is BA's 2008 Farm System rankings...

1. Rays
2. Red Sox
3. Reds
4. Rangers
5. Yankees
6. Dodgers
7. Rockies
8. Braves
9. Nationals
10. Angels
11. Mariners
12. Padres
13. Cardinals
14. Marlins
15. Diamondbacks
16. Orioles
17. Mets
18. Twins
19. Indians
20. Cubs
21. Brewers
22. Phillies
23. Giants
24. Royals
25. Blue Jays
26. Pirates
27. A's
28. White Sox
29. Tigers
30. Astros

laugh.gif
at comparing farm systems. Both are large market teams, both exploitthe anti-competitive nature of baseball and the lack of a salary cap. Point blank. You don't have to blame the teams, they are just trying to win and dowhat they can, but to say they aren't going about things the same way is pretty ridiculous

did that exist before "Raider Nation" may I ask?
Nope. As I said before in the last thread, the Raider Nation and Steeler Nation are the only "official" nations that were named insports about 35-40 years ago. Not that it really matters, but just saying......

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Got this off another board....here is BA's 2008 Farm System rankings...

1. Rays
2. Red Sox
3. Reds
4. Rangers
5. Yankees
6. Dodgers
7. Rockies
8. Braves
9. Nationals
10. Angels
11. Mariners
12. Padres
13. Cardinals
14. Marlins
15. Diamondbacks
16. Orioles
17. Mets
18. Twins
19. Indians
20. Cubs
21. Brewers
22. Phillies
23. Giants
24. Royals
25. Blue Jays
26. Pirates
27. A's
28. White Sox
29. Tigers
30. Astros

Yeah I knew the yanks were 5th on the official list, I was going by another farm system ranking on BA. Point is, dude was talking like the Red Sox systemis superior or something
smh.gif

I'll try and be as unbiased as possible (huge Yankees fan but currently live in Massachusetts...right in the heart of "Red Sox Nation").

First off, the Red Sox and the Yankees have the best rivalry in all of (American) sports.

Sure, people on the left coast might not care but...they have more of a history than most professional teams who are rivals, starting with the Red Sox tradingthe Babe (who was a pitcher at the time) to the Yankees all the way back in 1919 to what happened in 2004. If memory serves correct, both teams account for 53%of all apparel sold by the MLB so there's no denying the impact that they have on the game.

Now this argument:

Red Sox actually devolp talent. Not sure how you can compare them.

is so outdated and I've heard it too many times living around here.
eyes.gif

Sure, you could have said that a couple years ago when the Yankees' farm system was depleted and they basically groomed a player through there in order totrade them later on for an All-Star caliber player. But through players like Cano, Wang, Melky, Hughes, Kennedy, Joba...Yankees have shown that they can"develop talent"...I don't know why people still think their farm sucks.

As of right now, you could make a case for both teams having the better farm system but one area in which the Yankees do lack in is great (or evengood) LHP. They know it themselves...even the MLB team has a lack of LHP and besides Pettitte, there's no one reliable in that area (Igawa? Henn?Chase Wright?)...

How are they like the Yankees in any way other than a big payroll? Epstein has built a dynasty in Boston. His plans are aimed at long-term and short-term success. The guy is fallible (see: Drew, Lugo), but he is a genius.

I wouldn't call it a dynasty yet, champ.
wink.gif
You gotta win at least 3 tohave an argument.

As far as errors he's made...don't forget Freddy Sanchez for Jeff Suppan...that trade was extremely bad.

Or how about Cla Meredith for Doug Mirabelli? (Meredith, a relief pitcher, going on to have a 33 2/3 inning scoreless streak that same season and has beenoutstanding thus far)

What about the trade of 3 young good prospects for Eric Gagne (who bombed for the Red Sox...I will say, at the time, the deal didn't look THAT bad butGagne's performance down the stretch was the clincher.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash Epstein...he deserves as much if not all credit for the Red Sox' recent success. He's proven to beone of the top 5 GM's in the game, I believe. It's just that when he makes a bad move...it's REALLY bad...but it often gets swept under the rugbecause of those 2 championships.

As far as similarities between the Yanks and Sox, if you honestly think it's only payroll (which, hello, has a LOT to do with the make-up of the clubs andhow organizations are run)...then you're sadly mistaken. And it starts with us fans.
ohwell.gif
nerd.gif
tired.gif
wink.gif

Seriously! Can't wait until all the "Yuppie" Red Sox Nation shows up at the Coliseum, it will be an experience they won't forget.
Yuppies? You obviously haven't been to Boston
grin.gif

schilling free agent
oh really

and Ska like 3 of those guys you named were acquired through trades...

Originally Posted by RitchDad

how do the red sox develop talent.......... Becket and Lowell trade manny free agent ortiz free agent schilling free agent dice k free agent common dudes
Ortiz wasnt that good when he was on the Twins, it wasnt like he was some huge FA signing that would devolp into a great clutch hitter.

Ortiz wasnt that good when he was on the Twins, it wasnt like he was some huge FA signing that would devolp into a great clutch hitter.
How does that change the fact they aquired him as a FA? Are you saying the RedSox made him into David Ortiz? What is your point by talking about how hewas aquired?

Ortiz wasnt that good when he was on the Twins,before he took steriods. it wasnt like he was some huge FA signing that would devolop into a great clutch hitter.

Yep.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Monta Ellis:
The Red Sox are nothing like the Yankees in any way other than the big payroll.

How are they like the Yankees in any way other than a big payroll?
Ortiz came up with the Red Sox?

Manny? He came up through their awesome farm system?

Even on their first WS win in 1k years, Pedro Martinez; he came up through their farm system?

Schilling, the guy with the bloody sock? He came up through their farm system?

Coco Crisp? How 'bout him?

Beckett? Did he come up through their farm system?

Wakefield?

That's one; they've bought a ton of talent from other teams. Just because you have some nice guys on your roster that were products of your farm system does NOT mean that your name should be excluded in the discussion of teams that seek to buy championships by plucking the talent from other teams. (Go ahead and take the immature route, bringing my team into it, like I've ever denied that we've managed to pluck Vlad, Colon [even though it didn't quite work out], GMM, Jr [even though he's hardly on the level of Ortiz, Manny, et al], and now Torii [
smokin.gif
]).

Second, there's the arrogance of their fans, the single most annoying characteristic of Yankee fans (as a whole; there are PLENTY that are just regular ol' baseball fans who claim the Yankees as their home team).

Third, there's the arrogance of the team. I can hear you now: "Well they've won 2 WSs this decade, so they have a right to be arrogant." I never said anything about having a right; I simply pointed out the arrogance of the players; it's there.

Fourth, they're good. They're a lock for the playoffs and an AL favorite every year now; that's always going to draw hate.

pimp.gif

First off, the Red Sox and the Yankees have the best most annoying rivalry in all of (American) sports.
Fixed.

laugh.gif
@ talking about the teams' respective farm systems. Look at theirCURRENT rosters, and tell me just how many of those players are home-grown talent... I'd venture to guess it's about the same total.

Back
Top Bottom