Now that bryant has been quoted and recorded speaking on his level of play vs MJ's...

So in other words you don't have an answer? Just say that instead of belittling the though of Kobe being compared to him, as if he is Ben Uzoh or somebody.

I gave you your answer:
The man only has 2 titles as The Man.
Mike has 6.

That's the only reasoning needed.

We could go on all day in here.  But I'm not about to waist my time.

Originally Posted by kash55

This thread would be a lot more interesting if you chose to focus on the relationship between MJ and Kobe. It's nice to see that for once MJ is cool with someone like Kobe, but then again he'll go say a backhanded compliment that Kobe is "probably in the top 10 SG's of all time". lol.
Since when does taking a young man's phone call to your personal cell phone about how to do the fade away jumper like you do and various other tips not considered "being cool"?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

So in other words you don't have an answer? Just say that instead of belittling the though of Kobe being compared to him, as if he is Ben Uzoh or somebody.

Player Efficiency Rating

2000-01 NBA 24.5 (6)
2001-02 NBA 23.2 (8 )
2002-03 NBA 26.2 (5)
2003-04 NBA 23.7 (5)
2004-05 NBA 23.3 (7)
2005-06 NBA 28.0 (3)
2006-07 NBA 26.1 (3)
2007-08 NBA 24.2 (8 )
2008-09 NBA 24.4 (6)
2010-11 NBA 23.9 (5)

1984-85 NBA 25.8 (2)
1986-87 NBA 29.8 (1)
1987-88 NBA 31.7 (1)
1988-89 NBA 31.1 (1)
1989-90 NBA 31.2 (1)
1990-91 NBA 31.6 (1)
1991-92 NBA 27.7 (1)
1992-93 NBA 29.7 (1)
1995-96 NBA 29.4 (2)
1996-97 NBA 27.8 (2)
1997-98 NBA 25.2 (4)

And if you don't like "advanced stats", tell me what you want to compare. There's no comparison in any category that reflects individual greatness. Absolutely none.

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

I gave you your answer:
Mike has 6.

That's the only reasoning needed.

We could go on all day in here.  But I'm not about to waist my time.

I don't think that is a good enough answer/reason why it isn't close. I never said Kobe > Jordan, but I want to know why it shouldn't even be discussed.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

yo bens my boy we went to high school together take that back 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by N ll K 3

Honestly?

That fact that people try to even argue it boggles my mind and makes me question your knowledge of basketball/true agenda in the matter at hand.

I'm not about to get into an argument about this because quite frankly, Kobe doesn't deserve to have one be made (if it's in a serious manner).

And that is not a cop-out.

No shots at Kobe whatsoever, in this particular case he was fighting a battle that was never winnable from the beginning.
I love the way you put this 
pimp.gif
 My only conclusion is that people who argue this either hated MJ so much growing up because he was that good n would demolish their teams or because they could never afford his high priced sneakers or a combination 
laugh.gif
 so they want to prop someone else up to replace him like that's gone fix the damage already done by his Airness. Stop it already 
ohwell.gif

I don't think that is a good enough answer/reason why it isn't close. I never said Kobe > Jordan, but I want to know why it shouldn't even be discussed.

A better question is why does Kobe deserve to have this be a serious discussion?  What does he bring to the table that's better than Mike that really matters at the end of the day?

I'll give you a chance to prove us wrong.

The floor is yours...

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

Originally Posted by Iamjusayn

^Catch 22 tho. He stole so much that he put himself in a impossible situation. I would have rather him take a few things here n there but he tried to take everything plus the kitchen sink. I am sure i would have liked the young man a lot more had he been more original with his style.
Replies like this always make me scratch my head. He's a 6'6 shooting guard with the same body type as MJ, what do you want him to do, intentionally not use tools MJ did just so he doesn't look like he's copying him? 
grin.gif
 Kobe has plenty of things he does that MJ didn't use often or never did in the first place, and in fact has a more diverse offensive arsenal than MJ ever did; he's just not as efficient/effective at doing them. 
I completely agree, Kobe is a better talent... MJ was a possessed freak athlete with giant hands

At his peak he was the undisputed best in the league for what 2-3 yrs MAX?!?!?!

At Mike's Peak he was the undisputed best for damn near a decade all while putting up serious numbers and winning serious hardware.

Furthermore Mike's Peak and performance during was drastically higher than Bean's.

How big is the gap though?

Dudes talking like Kobe is Jerry Stackhouse or something, if you don't think it can even be discussed you've got that MJ fever.

In terms of greatness if Mike is the top on a scale of 1-10 , Bean's gotta be in the 7-8 range. Any lower and you're probly a Kobe hater, an MJ stan or a perfect combination of both.

Seriously if Mike is 10, where would some of y'all rate Kobe?

Originally Posted by Freeze

i'm not saying that kobe is better overall than mj, but i will say Prime Kobe, a la 05-08ish was a better SCORER than mike.
Not in the playoffs. His numbers in those 3 years are inferior to about 6 different postseason runs from jordan.

In terms of greatness if Mike is the top on a scale of 1-10 , Bean's gotta be in the 7-8 range.
Then what's the point of comparing them? I mean, if it makes Kobe fans feel good just to put those two names in a sentence together, then whatever floats their boat, I guess. But I don't really see the point.
Edit: I've had a few beers, so maybe that wasn't the best analogy. 
laugh.gif

If only the world of sports was that cut and dry jd617, it doesn't work that way.

Mike is the standard for greatness in many peoples eyes, so basically everyone who gets a few rings or mvp's will be compared to him.

Everyone from Bron to The Big O gets compared to Mj so why is it a big deal when people throw Kobe's name in the mix?

Of course 99% of people will say Mj is better but to say the discussion shouldn't happens seems to defy human nature.

And cars and athletes are a bad comparison IMO, way more emotions are involved in sports. Most people didn't watch an M3 evolve from a out of control teen into 1 of the best players in the history of the game.

0cks wrote: I completely agree, Kobe is a better talent... MJ was a possessed freak athlete with giant hands

Hmm. Based on what?
What quickly disqualifies that statement is tangible results. Jordan's stats and awards speak to his level of talent, as Kobe's speak for his talent.

Jordan's stats and awards >>>> Kobe's stats and awards.

People say "oh Kobe is a Jordan biter!" but people don't realize that Michael Jordan has been quoted saying "I tried to pattern my game after David Thompson" pure stupidity. Hell who didn't try to pattern their game after MJ?

As long as his quotes are up for the people on NT who swear that bryant is on MJ's level...i'm good. Way too many delusional people out there who cannot look at the comparison critically.
Stop droppin nonsense to take away what this man said in classroom setting at UC Santa Barbara. Dude didn't even know most of the snitchin n other stuff he yapped about was being recorded 
laugh.gif
, hence him forcing you tube n others to take the videos down of him going in on ex teammates. He is a certified clown but he def was speaking from the heart on ALL matters.

"I've learned so much from him so we can't have a debate about who is better." bryant said

[font=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/font]

[/font]

Talking trash on Kwame Brown is not considered snitching.  Kwame Brown is Kwame Brown.  Some people need to hear how terrible of a person they are.

From what I've seen, Kobe is a better offensive talent than MJ. Both had very very similar careers and are so identical it's scary. They were explosive early in the careers and had to evolve to the midrange game to stay relevant in the sport as they aged, which IMO why they are number 1 and 2 of all time. People didn't realize how hard it is to change your game like that. But Kobe just has too many moves to get to the lane and is arguably the best midrange player of all time. Even Phil Jackson said that Kobe plays like Mike but has better ball handling.

With that being said, MJ is the better player. He just did everything better. Period. His greatest advantage over Kobe is efficiency. Never lost in the finals, won MVP every single year he won the finals, DPOY and MVP in the same year, the lost goes on and on. Although MJ is in a league of his own when it comes to skills and accomplishments, there should also be no debate if Kobe is better. Michael JOrdan is the greatest player of all time. Period.

But in my opinion, it is pure blasphemy to not rank Kobe among the elite players of all time. He should be a top 5 player in everybody's list. He doesn't have to be number 2, but I think he's earned that top 5 spot.

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

As long as his quotes are up for the people on NT who swear that bryant is on MJ's level...i'm good. Way too many delusional people out there who cannot look at the comparison critically.
Stop droppin nonsense to take away what this man said in classroom setting at UC Santa Barbara. Dude didn't even know most of the snitchin n other stuff he yapped about was being recorded 
laugh.gif
, hence him forcing you tube n others to take the videos down of him going in on ex teammates. He is a certified clown but he def was speaking from the heart on ALL matters.

"I've learned so much from him so we can't have a debate about who is better." bryant said

[/font]

[/font]

Talking trash on Kwame Brown is not considered snitching.  Kwame Brown is Kwame Brown.  Some people need to hear how terrible of a person they are.

Basketball is a team sport. Your team is only as strong as your weakest link. If you are getting paid millions to play basketball PROFESSIONALLY, then everybody has to be accountable for their own actions. No excuses

Tell me if MJ ever beat a dynasty team in his 90s era

Houston don't count as dynasty team

Kobe > MJ

Back
Top Bottom