No more twinkies to be made vol. start stocking up on them

I literally see hostess EVERYWHERE.

I would love to know how they're losing bread.

a lot of product on the shelf doesn't necessarily mean they're selling nor does it mean the company is turning a profit.

This article points out the company has been operating at a loss and filed for bankruptcy TWICE in recent years. Hostess has been trying to stay afloat and has been trying to cut benefits / salaries in order to cut costs.

It's pretty much the same story as the US govt / typical American home: more money is going out than is coming in / people living beyond their means.

waits for "This is Obama's fault" 
grin.gif

damn shame. I assume they should have taken that deal. Better than this for sure. I don't understand how they were losing that much money. Hostess is like a damn national institution.

we need unions, but they have been abusing their power. If we didn't have them, things would get bad fast though. I just don't know where the line gets drawn.

Last edited:
i don't mess with twinkies but it sucks that all those people will get laid off.. Hostess has to make a profit somehow right :rolleyes

i don't mess with twinkies but it sucks that all those people will get laid off.. Hostess has to make a profit somehow right
eyes.gif
They didn't lay them off because they wanted to. They had no choice. No one won in the situation. Hostess is liquidating their properties and taking what they can get at a loss. They've operated in the red for years now and asked that their employees make concessions to their salary; much like other people across the country. They would have gotten half of the 8% that they would have forfeited back over a course of four years. The Bakers Union was too aggressive in their demands and thought that Hostess was bluffing when they said they would close their doors. They called their bluff and are now on the outside having to explain to the people they represent what they did. A secret ballot could have ended the strike which is what Teamsters wanted.

EDIT: Teamsters accepted the initial deal and knew that Bakers' demands would push the company towards liquidation. Bakers rejected the deal. This is on the Bakers Union.

Last edited:
Hostess always seemed to have higher quality cakes than Little Debbie but their prices were always higher too so I'm not surprised that Little Debbie is still standing. Even Little Debbie prices have gone up though...used to be $1 a box but now it's like $1.75 in my area

Gonna miss their powdered/crumb donuts. Also gonna miss their ding-dongs...

(pause)

waits for "This is Obama's fault" >D

damn shame. I assume they should have taken that deal. Better than this for sure. I don't understand how they were losing that much money. Hostess is like a damn national institution.

we need unions, but they have been abusing their power. If we didn't have them, things would get bad fast though. I just don't know where the line gets drawn.

it was already mentioned in this thread, but the blood is on the unions hands. eff them. eff unions.

i highly doubt that things would get bad fast without unions. this isnt the 1950's. labor laws have come a long way in the last 60+ years. there are millions of non-union private sector workers who do just fine without the assistance of unions.

Good bye old friend, though I haven't seen you in a while, you will be missed...

I'm with Mojodmonky1, eff the unions...Great when they first started out....

Somewhere Mayor Bloomberg is smiling clasping hands like Birdman...LOL...

Last edited:
Trying to be sold to the highest bidder?

Woudnt the highest bidder then keep the company alive and keep making twinkies?

you hear the term AUSTERITY MEASURES thrown around a lot (especially with things happening in Europe). maybe that's something we should try. We Americans are just a little too spoiled and entitled and expect to maintain our current level of "luxury" (and a lot of people live beyond their means).

it was already mentioned in this thread, but the blood is on the unions hands. eff them. eff unions.
i highly doubt that things would get bad fast without unions. this isnt the 1950's. labor laws have come a long way in the last 60+ years. there are millions of non-union private sector workers who do just fine without the assistance of unions.
And there are millions not doing well who could use the assistance of a union. Not saying we haven't come a long way but what you're saying is akin to not needing police becuase there are millions of law abiding citizens. Many of the labor laws in the past 60's years are the result of unions efforts. I do agree that the bakers union went HAM and keeping real went horribly wrong.

I have already worked jobs with no lunch hours and being made to stay late for insane hours with no pay. Most companies are hiring perpetual "temp employees" so they don't need to pay for benefits. Companies are using interns for years instead of paying.

It would get bad FAST imo

you give an inch a mile gets taken when it comes to big corporations

Just because we wouldn't see 10 year olds in factories doesn't mean it wouldnt get really bad

but the unions have been getting to big and corupt, and are a huge reason for many economic problems too. This specific instance falls on the union from what iv read

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom