No more twinkies to be made vol. start stocking up on them

Twinkies Maker Will Close After Strike

By JEANETTE TORRES
Nov. 16, 2012
Hostess Brands Inc., the maker of the iconic snack Twinkies, announced today that it will liquidate the entire company because not enough striking employees returned to work by a Thursday evening deadline set by the company.

"We deeply regret the necessity of today's decision, but we do not have the financial resources to weather an extended nationwide strike," said Gregory F. Rayburn, chief executive officer. "Hostess Brands will move promptly to lay off most of its 18,500-member workforce and focus on selling its assets to the highest bidders."

Hostess said it will seek bankruptcy court permission to close its business and sell its assets, "including its iconic brands and facilities. Bakery operations have been suspended at all plants."

"The Board of Directors authorized the wind down of Hostess Brands to preserve and maximize the value of the estate after one of the Company's largest unions, the Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union (BCTGM), initiated a nationwide strike that crippled the Company's ability to produce and deliver products at multiple facilities," the company said in a statement.

read more here http://abcnews.go.com/Business/twin...company-strike/story?id=17736898#.UKZInYe7Muc
View media item 137892

Last edited:
No more Ring Dings :frown:
This is my favorite dessert.

famousfoods-store_2233_40248797.jpg

18,500 people smh
Because of union brass at the Bakers Union. Even the Teamsters union criticized how they were handling things and wanted them to hold secret ballots. Sucks that over 18000 people are out of a job right before the holidays too. When strikes backfire. The brass at the Bakers Union have blood on their hands. Details of the contract for those who are curious:
The new contract cut salaries across the company by 8% in the first year of the five-year agreement. Salaries were then scheduled to bump up 3% in the next three years and 1% in the final year.

Hostess also reduced its pension obligations and its contribution to the employees' health care plan. In exchange, the company offered concessions, including a 25% equity stake for workers and the inclusion of two union representatives on an eight-member board of directors.

639878.jpg

Where is the best place online to buy these? always hated that these aren't available in virginia.

They were already in bankruptcy, which tells me they had financial mismanagement to begin with.

The union is hoping that a nee company will buy Hostess and retain them as workers. While I have no doubt that Twinkies aren't going anywhere, new ownership is not guaranteed to keep the plants or workers at their current locations.

I literally see hostess EVERYWHERE.

I would love to know how they're losing bread.

Last edited:
Hahahahaha op is worried about twinkies going extinct over people losing jobs haha

if we heard a story about 18,000 people losing their job, we wouldn't pay much attention to it since people losing their jobs en masse has been a pretty common occurrence the past 4-5 years.

so the only thing that's grabbed our attention about this story is that Hostess is going out of business and the future availability of their products is up in the air.

Back
Top Bottom