Nissan GTR vs. 450HP Turbo RWD Scion tC vs. 650HP N/A RWD Scion tC

That was nice and I'm not even that big into drifting.

Seeing a Scion at 650hp was a surprise too
laugh.gif

Until Scion actually makes production RWD performance oriented cars, they remain
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
as far as I'm concerned in terms of "cool" factor.

This video doesn't change a thing.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

That was nice and I'm not even that big into drifting.

Seeing a Scion at 650hp was a surprise too
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
You should see Chris Rado's 1000hp tC track car while still maintaining FWD. Breaking Time Attack records at Willow Springs. It has a hideous front wing F1 type setup, but that car is a fwd beast.

Forgot to add: Foust's tC is a beast.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Originally Posted by omgitswes

why would you drift in one though? jw

Why not?

Its nice to see a change from the typical cars used for drifting.
Production Scion tC's are FWD.  I won't go into on whether FWD can be used for "real" drifts or not- go to other websites for that- but in general, only RWD cars will be used for competitive drifting.

Easier to break loose than AWD, and direct control over the rear wheels = beneficial to quality/ease of drifting.

This is a highly summarized version of why, but this is basically why you don't see drift prepped Scions, Civics, or other FWD econoboxes.

Edit: ...unless they're conversions to RWD like the tC's from the vid.  And yes, Foust is a beast.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HJDM

Until Scion actually makes production RWD performance oriented cars, they remain
eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

Toyota X Suburu collabo, the FT-86. Low priced, low hp car is expected to debut soon. I'm sure once people start messing with it in terms of boosting, it'll make for a nice fun car. You can blame Toyota's for their current image. Full of family cars while killing off their sports lineup.

Why not? People like myself have grown tired of seeing your typical RWDs at these drifting events. It's become rather cliche seeing the typical Nissans like your Skylines and 240s at it on the track. Why not step the bar up and create drift cars out of the unexpected?

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Why not?

Its nice to see a change from the typical cars used for drifting.
Production Scion tC's are FWD.  I won't go into on whether FWD can be used for "real" drifts or not- go to other websites for that- but in general, only RWD cars will be used for competitive drifting.

Easier to break loose than AWD, and direct control over the rear wheels = beneficial to quality/ease of drifting.

This is a highly summarized version of why, but this is basically why you don't see drift prepped Scions, Civics, or other FWD econoboxes.

Edit: ...unless they're conversions to RWD like the tC's from the vid.  And yes, Foust is a beast.
pimp.gif

...yes my friend thanks for explaining why you cant drift in FWD cars.
laugh.gif

Totally was not asking that question.

I was saying why not drift those RWD conversion tCs. Not regular tCs, any person with decent knowledge of cars knows you cant drift a FWD.
laugh.gif

FWD aside, it's a well balanced car as far as build and weight is concerned. It's a little underpowered, but as far as price is concerned it's appropriate and a few mods can go a long way. It's go a pretty strong chassis as well. Basically, it's the first (import) car in a long time that can be race-ready AND look good without spending a fortune on Japanese OEM parts.

Originally Posted by PR0LiFiKz

eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

ToyotaX Suburu collabo, the FT-86. Low priced, low hp car is expected todebut soon. I'm sure once people start messing with it in terms ofboosting, it'll make for a nice fun car. You can blame Toyota's fortheir current image. Full of family cars while killing off their sportslineup.
I've read rumors about the rebirth of the Supra, too-- and not the rumors saying that the FT-86 IS the new Supra. Possibly a rebadging, kinda like Acura did with the RSX/Integra.
smokin.gif
I'd like to see the return of a Celica or an MR2, honestly.

Hmm...and yes, Chris Rado's car does have 2 spoilers
laugh.gif

3586833477_4028042048_b.jpg

What really gets me
eek.gif
is that it looks like it still has the 2az under there!
3586858715_d34efe2af0_b.jpg

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

how r these tc's getting all this pwr?
Turbo, BOV, cool-air intake, VVT, exhaust, the usual...and then some other goodies that we'll probably never be able to afford. That, and they've been stripped of all excess weight and probably sport a whopping 5 gallon gas tank at the most.

eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

Toyota X Suburu collabo, the FT-86. Low priced, low hp car is expected to debut soon. I'm sure once people start messing with it in terms of boosting, it'll make for a nice fun car. You can blame Toyota's for their current image. Full of family cars while killing off their sports lineup.

Why not? People like myself have grown tired of seeing your typical RWDs at these drifting events. It's become rather cliche seeing the typical Nissans like your Skylines and 240s at it on the track. Why not step the bar up and create drift cars out of the unexpected?
It's not that I hate Toyota per sé, it's that I've always felt the Scion brand is guilty of trying way, way too hard to make a "tuner" image, as opposed to an image built around legitimate performance cars.  I love old MR2's, Supras, all RWD Corollas (especially TE72's
pimp.gif
), but as of late Toyota's fallen off.  FT-86 is a nice departure from this whole "look fast go slow" mentality.

Also, it's not that it's about "typical" RWD cars, it's about the cars that teams can actually get to the field with a decent cost-benefit ratio.  RWD is the drifting standard for reasons I put in an above post; converting FWD cars to RWD is a tedious, expensive, and labor-intensive task that most teams/drivers just can't afford to do while remaining competitive.  To re-engineer and as you put it, "step the bar up," a FWD vehicle to RWD, and make it properly balanced takes a signficant amount of resources, tech, and logistics that only the manufacturer-backed (or extremely large) teams and groups can do.  240's, 86's, and their other "cliche" cars are properly balanced out of the factory, easy to obtain, and affordable to upkeep.

...and as for Skylines, I haven't seen more than a handful at USA drift events, and those that I have seen were usually non-GTR variants with RWD, or GT-R's with the AWD disabled.  Assuming you're from the US, it's hardly typical to see "Skylines" (whatever you meant by that) doing drift runs.

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Originally Posted by ChrisPhenephom

how r these tc's getting all this pwr?
Turbo, BOV, cool-air intake, VVT, exhaust, the usual...and then some other goodies that we'll probably never be able to afford. That, and they've been stripped of all excess weight and probably sport a whopping 5 gallon gas tank at the most.
...and a nice RWD conversion that we won't be able to afford either.  These tC's have very, VERY little to do with anything you can buy from a Toyota showroom.

The Rockstar tC's running a NASCAR-based Toyota V8 as well, so there's one more tick against it.

I like the exhaust out the front fender up there, that is sick.

The vid was kinda lame though, not the cars, but the vid itself. They took a weak approach and just featured the cars, it wasnt really a showdown or shootout

Damn 650 N/A is impressive.

I'll tell ya that GTR is impressive. A factory produced car, it is very capable and astonishing. However, there will only be one true Japanese Super Car and is the NSX. Dont compare numbers, etc.. just the impact the NSX has is truely amazing.

Originally Posted by Ouch my feet

I like the exhaust out the front fender up there, that is sick.

The vid was kinda lame though, not the cars, but the vid itself. They took a weak approach and just featured the cars, it wasnt really a showdown or shootout
He said in the video that they weren't going to do one because he wasn't allowed to drive it. Also, at the end of the video it shows the start of a quarter-mile, and says "To Be Continued..." I'd bet there's a second part out there.

The GTR looks so pathetic "drifting" next to the others
frown.gif
Who needs to drift anyway?!

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

FWD aside, it's a well balanced car as far as build and weight is concerned. It's a little underpowered, but as far as price is concerned it's appropriate and a few mods can go a long way. It's go a pretty strong chassis as well. Basically, it's the first (import) car in a long time that can be race-ready AND look good without spending a fortune on Japanese OEM parts.

eyes.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif

ToyotaX Suburu collabo, the FT-86. Low priced, low hp car is expected todebut soon. I'm sure once people start messing with it in terms ofboosting, it'll make for a nice fun car. You can blame Toyota's fortheir current image. Full of family cars while killing off their sportslineup.
I've read rumors about the rebirth of the Supra, too-- and not the rumors saying that the FT-86 IS the new Supra. Possibly a rebadging, kinda like Acura did with the RSX/Integra.
smokin.gif
I'd like to see the return of a Celica or an MR2, honestly.
Rumors of the Supra have been out there for over 10 years. In Toyota's current drama, I wouldn't count on it. The LF-A was originally the Supra successor until they wanted to go all out on it and rebading it as a Lexus. Hence the appearance being somewhat reminscent to it. The new FT-86 is pretty much final, its probably to compete with the usual Civic SI. So you can basically consider it as a Celica replacement. Being a former 7th gen Celica owner, I was heartbroken to know they discontinued it. 3rd gen MR2 was just outright wack in my opinion.

Ouch my feet wrote:
agreed, having the gtr in the video was pointless

Back
Top Bottom