• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I bought my Wii U for 50 bucks this week there's a ton of people trying to get rid of theirs lately locally it seems like. Kids pressing their parents for the Switch lol

I bought my Wii U for 50 bucks this week there's a ton of people trying to get rid of theirs lately locally it seems like. Kids pressing their parents for the Switch lol

Thrift Shop? Pawn Shop?

Only logical place I can see a Wii-U being sold at that price (I saw a bunch of Wii-Us being sold at $100/console at a Cash American Pawn Shop this past summer)

hmm...i have to disagree.

super mario 3d world, IF and only if you are old enough to have called bowser king koopa and peach princess toadstool, is the most fun i've had playing mario since those days. that alone is worth the full price of a wiiu IMHO.

mario maker needs to be in the convo for one of the greatest games of all time, regardless of system IMO and is also another major reason to own a wii u. i say this as a person that jumped ship from nintendo to sony around the 64 days after being loyal with nes, snes. i've owned every nintendo console since even if i had to go back and get it but i've never had the same feeling as the snes and nes days. the wii u was worth my money twice over. easily.

Yeah that’s the question. I don’t own a Wii-U but I’m fully invested in my switch. Should I take the step back if I already own a PS4

hmm...i have to disagree.

super mario 3d world, IF and only if you are old enough to have called bowser king koopa and peach princess toadstool, is the most fun i've had playing mario since those days. that alone is worth the full price of a wiiu IMHO.

mario maker needs to be in the convo for one of the greatest games of all time, regardless of system IMO and is also another major reason to own a wii u. i say this as a person that jumped ship from nintendo to sony around the 64 days after being loyal with nes, snes. i've owned every nintendo console since even if i had to go back and get it but i've never had the same feeling as the snes and nes days. the wii u was worth my money twice over. easily.

Now I see why you have big problems with the 3D Mario games outside of the two Galaxies and 3D World...........you never grew up with 3D Mario games like the 90% of the people that grew up playing 3D Mario.

When I think about 3D Mario, I think about "free movement" and "multiple ways to move" to accomplish a platforming objective. Sure most of that is related to sandbox 3D Mario games like 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey. But even a linear 3D Mario game like Galaxy 1 and 2, they also had "free movement" and "multiple movesets" as well..........and I felt the Super Mario Galaxy games were the ones that blending the "platforming elements" and the "free movement 3D elements" together perfectly, not "stripped down movement" for ******* level design.

This is why I consider 3D World the ultimate downgrade or regression of the 3D Mario formula, they removed some "foundational" Mario 3D movesets in 3D World that made up the foundation of all 3D Mario game jump moves, the triple jump in particular was totally removed from 3D World, which was a big blasphemous...........even the 2D New Super Mario Bros. had the triple jump. This is a 3D Mario game, Mario triple jumps...........this is not 1991.

That's my big issue.........I don't play 3D Super Mario games like we are playing a 1991 2D Mario game. If I wanted to play a 2D Mario game, I'll pop in my SNES (in this case, SNES Classic) and play Super Mario World or my NES (Classic) and play Super Mario Bros. 3.

3D World had some good "endgame levels" (with Champion's Road as the best in the history of the franchise), but they watered down the experienced of 3D Mario so much to satisfy the "I don't like 3D Mario fans" that hated the Super Mario 64 thru Galaxy 2 style of play........that there is no way I would rank 3D World ever at the top of any Top 3D Super Mario list OR even at the top of any Top Super Mario list at all.

The game felt so ******* watered-down most of the time that IT FELT LIKE THEY WEREN'T EVEN TRYING TO MAKE A GOOD 3D MARIO GAME (which hell, they still ended up creating Champion's Road out of it..........so that says something about the skill of Nintendo's game developers).

With that rant out of the way...............Yes, Super Mario Maker is a great game. It is great because it allows the player to determine how THEY WANT TO ENJOY A MARIO GAME, whether by selecting what custom level they want to play OR by creating their own custom level. It is literally the type of game where you decide how to enjoy it, and it is one of the best game ideas Nintendo came out with for the Wii-U back in 2015 for the 30th anniversary of Mario.

Last edited:
Now I see why you have big problems with the 3D Mario games outside of the two Galaxies and 3D World...........you never grew up with 3D Mario games like the 90% of the people that grew up playing 3D Mario.

When I think about 3D Mario, I think about "free movement" and "multiple ways to move" to accomplish a platforming objective. Sure most of that is related to sandbox 3D Mario games like 64, Sunshine and now Odyssey. But even a linear 3D Mario game like Galaxy 1 and 2, they also had "free movement" and "multiple movesets" as well..........and I felt the Super Mario Galaxy games were the ones that blending the "platforming elements" and the "free movement 3D elements" together perfectly, not "stripped down movement" for ****ing level design.

This is why I consider 3D World the ultimate downgrade or regression of the 3D Mario formula, they removed some "foundational" Mario 3D movesets in 3D World that made up the foundation of all 3D Mario game jump moves, the triple jump in particular was totally removed from 3D World, which was a big blasphemous...........even the 2D New Super Mario Bros. had the triple jump. This is a 3D Mario game, Mario triple jumps...........this is not 1991.

That's my big issue.........I don't play 3D Super Mario games like we are playing a 1991 2D Mario game. If I wanted to play a 2D Mario game, I'll pop in my SNES (in this case, SNES Classic) and play Super Mario World or my NES (Classic) and play Super Mario Bros. 3.

3D World had some good "endgame levels" (with Champion's Road as the best in the history of the franchise), but they watered down the experienced of 3D Mario so much to satisfy the "I don't like 3D Mario fans" that hated the Super Mario 64 thru Galaxy 2 style of play........that there is no way I would rank 3D World ever at the top of any Top 3D Super Mario list OR even at the top of any Top Super Mario list at all.

The game felt so ****ing watered-down most of the time that IT FELT LIKE THEY WEREN'T EVEN TRYING TO MAKE A GOOD 3D MARIO GAME (which hell, they still ended up creating Champion's Road out of it..........so that says something about the skill of Nintendo's game developers)./QUOTE]

No.

Just no.

don't get me wrong, i too was one of those kids that saw mario 64 while owning an snes...but i had to have more than pilotwings 64 (or was it waveracer 64) and mario 64 to cop that system on day one, you know? and third party support was scarce.

i went back and got it later and of course i played it when it first dropped (at the store and friends houses) and after (when i picked a 64 up for myself)...but 64 couldn't compare to square, capcom and the psx.

i would say that its inaccurate to say that i didn't grow up with 3d mario. i was around before, during and after and played 3d mario during its prime as well but as an older person it didn't wow me the same. it lacked the same charm. i actually own a lot of older video game magazines and i recently read through a few during the transition from 2d to 3d and everyone was so excited during that time. i remember...but i also remember then and i feel the same way now that we never perfected 2d and quickly moved on to polygons and never looked back. that was a mistake.

IMHO anyway. i'll post more in a sec.

don't get me wrong, i too was one of those kids that saw mario 64 while owning an snes...but i had to have more than pilotwings 64 (or was it waveracer 64) and mario 64 to cop that system on day one, you know? and third party support was scarce.

i went back and got it later and of course i played it when it first dropped (at the store and friends houses) and after (when i picked a 64 up for myself)...but 64 couldn't compare to square, capcom and the psx.

i would say that its inaccurate to say that i didn't grow up with 3d mario. i was around before, during and after and played 3d mario during its prime as well but as an older person it didn't wow me the same. it lacked the same charm. i actually own a lot of older video game magazines and i recently read through a few during the transition from 2d to 3d and everyone was so excited during that time. i remember...but i also remember then and i feel the same way now that we never perfected 2d and quickly moved on to polygons and never looked back. that was a mistake.

Really interested in that 2D take. I was born in 92, so most of my game life was obviously already 3d

i would say that its inaccurate to say that i didn't grow up with 3d mario. i was around before, during and after and played 3d mario during its prime as well but as an older person it didn't wow me the same. it lacked the same charm.
i actually own a lot of older video game magazines and i recently read through a few during the transition from 2d to 3d and everyone was so excited during that time. i remember...but i also remember then and i feel the same way now that we never perfected 2d and quickly moved on to polygons and never looked back. that was a mistake.

I appreciate the clarification.

And to be honest if I wasn't a "young Mario fan" (I was literally 5 when I played Super Mario World for the first time, hence the bias toward it being my favorite).........yeah I would have maybe saw things differently and felt things differently.

Hell, there are a percentage of people in my generation where their first video game was actually Final Fantasy 7........not Mario World, nor Mario 64, nor even the Sonic titles back in the day. So even those people would view Super Mario 64 differently both as a kid and an adult in comparison to someone like me or even yourself who was a Day 1 Super Mario Bros. fan.

So that's the big difference for me.........I'm not gonna say Super Mario 3D World is a **** game, it was a great game for what it was.

But I played the very first 3D Mario game at the demographic that Nintendo was targeting, the young 6-8 yr old boy that played the older 2D Super Mario games with their dads and grandpas when they were in kindergarten or pre-school..........so the way 64 introduced 3D Mario, that is what I envision as "evolution" of Mario TO ME, of course.

Anything less than what Mario 64 introduced mechanic-wise or gameplay wise, that was a downgrade to what a 3D Mario game was to me when it first came.

Had the Nintendo 64 used the "3D World" formula for 3D Mario instead of the sandbox formula we saw for 64........you damn right I'd think differently.

That being said debso debso , I too am interested in your take about why it was too early to transition from 2D to 3D.

In all honesty, I read a lot of gaming magazines from childhood to adulthood (Nintendo Power subscriber myself until they ended the magazine :frown: ) AND there were a lot of gaming people besides yourself saying that there was still so much left potential to be fulfilled for 2D gaming during the mid-90s. Even to this day, people are saying that 2D gaming still has a place in today's gaming environment.........which we've seen recently with Cuphead.

I actually agree to you to an extent on that one, considering Super Mario RPG actually showed there was still something left in 2D gaming (even though the graphics were slightly pushing 3D at that point too).

Last edited:
Speaking of all this Super Mario/old school gamer discussion, Super Mario Odyssey accomplishes Speed-Running History.............the MOST REPORTED SPEED-RUNS OUT OF ANY VIDEO GAME IN HISTORY

How tf do you beat Odyssey in 3 hrs :sick:

The latest speed-run record for Odyssey is actually around 1.5 hours, my man. That includes the end-game Moon hunt AND Darker Side of the Moon............there are things us mere mortals cannot comprehend that the Majestic Speed Runner does

The latest speed-run record for Odyssey is actually around 1.5 hours, my man. That includes the end-game Moon hunt AND Darker Side of the Moon............there are things us mere mortals cannot comprehend that the Majestic Speed Runner does

Is that glitched?

Quick update after handing out 5 straight Ls to infamouserror infamouserror >D

54449626-8C0F-4E87-98DC-CE293BADC815.jpeg

Thrift Shop? Pawn Shop?

Only logical place I can see a Wii-U being sold at that price (I saw a bunch of Wii-Us being sold at $100/console at a Cash American Pawn Shop this past summer)

It was on Facebook Marketplace I actually copped a Wii with a bunch of wiimotes and games for 20 bucks right before the U. Modded the Wii for homebrew and been playing GC games heavy :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom