NikeTalk has received a legal threat from RipoffReport.com. Silly as it sounds, please don't use th

I swear thats exactly how I responded to this man. :smh:

They do realize we COULD shut down their servers just bombarding them with emails... there IS enough people registered here....
Stupid corporate politics. Penny smart, dollar stupid.
*** Editors note: in NO WAY am I promoting shutting down "MESSAGEBOARD EDITs" servers.

Put the trashcan down Mookie its not that serious

"RADIO!!!!" :lol:

this almost reminds me of that time when I got a PM telling me that I was going to get sued if I didn't edit out my post from an old thread :lol: :smh:

the guy was telling me to take down the article or he would take Niketalk to court as well :lol:
Yeah, there's a company called Righthaven that's especially notorious for this sort of thing:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Righthaven

We've received a couple of complaints from them over the years and it's easy to take issue with their tactics.

However, users SHOULD NOT be posting full articles etc. from other publications.  That actually is a legitimate copyright violation.  

Links are fine, but posting an entire article in a forum post is like putting a full NBA game on your youtube channel.  That's not gonna fly.  Linking to that content is the way to go there.  Newspapers etc. rely on advertising to survive just as we do.  

I know I've posted an article before, but I've cited the source as well as thrown the link on there. Is that ok¿

"RADIO!!!!" :lol:
I know I've posted an article before, but I've cited the source as well as thrown the link on there. Is that ok¿

Technically no, but no writer or publication will ever go after you if you link back to the original.

"RADIO!!!!"
laugh.gif

Technically no, but no writer or publication will ever go after you if you link back to the original.
Righthaven does and has.  

We had a user a couple of years back who posted a sports related article from the Las Vegas Review Journal and included a link to the original.  We still received a threatening letter about it. 

It's not about giving credit, like in a research paper.  It's about revenue.  If you owned a sneaker blog and you spent a lot of time writing an article and taking pictures, and then found that someone had republished that content without your consent on another website, you'd probably be pretty upset.  Instead of you making money on all of that work, somebody else would be.  That's understandable.  That said, there's a distinction to be made between legitimately asserting your rights and making copyright trolling your business model.  

In any event, posting a link and a synopsis in your own words is the safest way to go.  

hahaha where is the threat? ripoff is going to do anything, they tried that same mubo jumbo with me on my website and I told him to go kick rocks! ofcourse he put me on ripoff website, but i just seo my report to the last page of google

So someone uses "ripoff report" as a term while not referring to the actual website, which means that you're so popular your brand name is becoming more than just a brand name, it's seeping into culture a la kleenex or xerox, and you want that stopped? makes sense.

hahaha where is the threat? ripoff is going to do anything, they tried that same mubo jumbo with me on my website and I told him to go kick rocks! ofcourse he put me on ripoff website, but i just seo my report to the last page of google

Ahhh, gotcha. This is blackmail to avoid an unfavorable rating on their site.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom