Niketalk....Do you pray? VOL....AMEN.

Do you pray?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
By no means would i consider myself a religious individual.
I was raised going to church every sunday...and my family (roman catholic) are somewhat religous.

I dont believe in many things in the bible and i believe in science and evolution. But....i do believe theres something bigger than science.
I guess you can say im spiritual.
It's more than that but u get the picture.

Soooo...maybe 5 yrs ago i was riding with a friend to meet some people at a beach house. Dude was sippin on a bottle on the way (he was driving) so basically he gets drunk and starts driving crazy and i was 100% sure we were
A. Going to get pulled
B. Going to get in a horrible accident.

Dude gets off the hw and is going crazy fast on these back roads and comes up on a sharp left....but hes going so fast he just keeps going straight and were going thru trees n **** and i know were about to crash.

So in my head im like "please God dont let me die"
It was just my naturak instinct considering the moment.

He ended up driving into the front of an office building.
Our airbags came on and the police showed up. One of them said "you have no idea how lucky you are"

Im not saying some higher power answered me.....thats just what it was.

is it something thats just embedded into us?
Or do you really think it would help in some way?

Example. ..

If you for some reason found yourself driving off the edge of a cliff...what would you do in between the time you drove off and hit the ground....knowing this is it?
Or something like that.

Tried when I was a kid, just felt like I was talking/thinking to myself. Waste of time to ask myself for anything I can just go and get or do. Never felt anything.

Been in a handful of actual life threatening situations, never knee jerk reacted with a pleading to GOD. Mind either went blank or was racing with thoughts.

whats the point in praying? go out and make it happen if you want something to happen, aint no invisible force looking out for you 

i think this thread will get interesting.
I pray sometimes. I used to be very religious and prayed daily.
I feel there's some type of higher power. I just don't think it works the way we want it to or how we were taught. We basically get taught an adult version of Santa. Be good and ask for what you want and you shall receive it. I think that's part of it, but I'm sure there are many more layers. idk tho.

whats the point in praying? go out and make it happen if you want something to happen, aint no invisible force looking out for you 

This may be the case for attainable goals, but I think OP is moreso referring to situations that are out of one's control, eg. a loved one dealing with an illness, safe travels, overall good health, getting a job etc.

Tried when I was a kid, just felt like I was talking/thinking to myself. Waste of time to ask myself for anything I can just go and get or do. Never felt anything.

I was probably 7 or 8 the last time I prayed

View media item 1943711
I lost one of the white skis from this Lego set in my mom's car and I prayed to God to help me find it

It turned up after I looked for it a bit more, but my immediate thought was something like "I probably would have found this without even praying"

I'm an atheist but I will take part in a prayer if the situation calls. I like the positive energy it generates. It's funny though that people will pray to a sky god when in reality it's our thoughts that are doing the healing. Neuroplasticity is the science behind this.

This may be the case for attainable goals, but I think OP is moreso referring to situations that are out of one's control, eg. a loved one dealing with an illness, safe travels, overall good health, getting a job etc.
all of those things you listed have specific actions that can be done to improving chances at a positive outcome though. Sometimes things do go wrong, but there's always a bunch of things you can/could have done to increase the chances of a positive outcome and praying is not one of them. 

I'm an atheist but I will take part in a prayer if the situation calls. I like the positive energy it generates. It's funny though that people will pray to a sky god when in reality it's our thoughts that are doing the healing. Neuroplasticity is the science behind this.
this is something I can get behind. Mental health is very important. 

all of those things you listed have specific actions that can be done to improving chances at a positive outcome though. Sometimes things do go wrong, but there's always a bunch of things you can/could have done to increase the chances of a positive outcome and praying is not one of them. 
Improving chances isn't the same thing as having control though.

If you gonna die, you gonna die. Putting on the seat belt won't always save you.

I see what he's talking about.

For those situations, you deal with it. Praying might make you feel better but it won't work.

If you gonna die, you gonna die. Putting on the seat belt won't always save you.

For those situations, you deal with it. Praying might make you feel better but it won't work.
all life is is probabilities and the actions you take to improve your odds though

if you're going to die for sure than there's probably something you could have done to prevent it, too late now though

all life is is probabilities and the actions you take to improve your odds though
That's only matters if you know what the probabilities are though.

Nobody knows for sure.

if you're going to die for sure than there's probably something you could have done to prevent it, too late now though
Nah, if you're going to die for sure, you're going to die for sure.

Unless time travel is possible.

Back
Top Bottom