NikeTalk DJ's Vol. Just Getting Started

About to get into DJing and just ordered some turntables (Numark Mixtrack Pro) just to get started. Any must-have materials that I need as far DVD's, Books, etc?

Sorry if there's already a thread on this...

About to get into DJing and just ordered some turntables (Numark Mixtrack Pro) just to get started. Any must-have materials that I need as far DVD's, Books, etc?

Sorry if there's already a thread on this...

i would like to know also ive been planning to purchase a numark mixdeck. is that good for a starter?

i would like to know also ive been planning to purchase a numark mixdeck. is that good for a starter?

save up for techs/cdjs.. you'll need to learn them eventually anyway because all major clubs (in NYC at least) have 1 of the 2 in house

youtube is great for learning new mixing and scratching techniques... music blogs are the best way to get new music

save up for techs/cdjs.. you'll need to learn them eventually anyway because all major clubs (in NYC at least) have 1 of the 2 in house

youtube is great for learning new mixing and scratching techniques... music blogs are the best way to get new music

You should have hit up cragislist. Theres a bunch of people on there selling their equipment. You could get a pair of techs for 400.

Are you starting with real vinyl or a laptop?

You should have hit up cragislist. Theres a bunch of people on there selling their equipment. You could get a pair of techs for 400.

Ahhh the " I'm just getting started threads" I remember reading these back in the days. Well first and foremost you need to realize that 99 percent of people who spend Money on Dj equipment will lose money. If you're getting into spinning because you want to get chicks and drink for free, well it's an awesome industry. However that part can quickly suck your soul dry. That being said, I would have purchased used technics before anything else because they are workhorses and are still the industry standard IF you are a vinyl person. If you want to use CDJ's, then Pioneer's are the only one's I would recommend. You don't need to purchase 2000's, but a nice pair of 800's isn't too shabby just for starting out.

Mixer wise I've always been a pioneer person as well, but their equipment can get pricey, so purchasing used is always a good option.

Finally....practice practice practice. Don't worry about crabbing or scratching as good as Q-bert, because honestly, 99 percent of people don't care. People don't come to a club to hear you DMC the place, they come to hear good music, and seemless blending. Focus on that, and then look into the bells and whistles.

Ahhh the " I'm just getting started threads" I remember reading these back in the days. Well first and foremost you need to realize that 99 percent of people who spend Money on Dj equipment will lose money. If you're getting into spinning because you want to get chicks and drink for free, well it's an awesome industry. However that part can quickly suck your soul dry. That being said, I would have purchased used technics before anything else because they are workhorses and are still the industry standard IF you are a vinyl person. If you want to use CDJ's, then Pioneer's are the only one's I would recommend. You don't need to purchase 2000's, but a nice pair of 800's isn't too shabby just for starting out.

Mixer wise I've always been a pioneer person as well, but their equipment can get pricey, so purchasing used is always a good option.

Finally....practice practice practice. Don't worry about crabbing or scratching as good as Q-bert, because honestly, 99 percent of people don't care. People don't come to a club to hear you DMC the place, they come to hear good music, and seemless blending. Focus on that, and then look into the bells and whistles.

Originally Posted by djaward

I got a package deal from Guitar Center with some Harbinger speakers otherwise, I would have gone that route. Im starting with a laptop.

Originally Posted by djaward

I got a package deal from Guitar Center with some Harbinger speakers otherwise, I would have gone that route. Im starting with a laptop.

Back
Top Bottom