Nike's Phil Knight has branded Oregon into national power [Sports Illustrated article]

Originally Posted by blazinjkid

T. Boone Pickens has done the same thing with Oklahoma State, albeit on a smaller scale.

Money flows freely in collegiate sports. It's been that way for decades. If Knight wants to pump 9 figures into his alma mater, that's his right. Get over it.

Although I will say that I stand by my statement that some genius Oregon grad @ Nike came up with all the crazy uniforms and the new basketball court to gain some sort of subconscious mental advantage over opponents. They're so drastically different than any other schools, they have to affect opposing players on some level.
His name is Tinker Hatfield.  And he is the reason for Niketalk, pay the man his respect and use his full name when speaking of his influence

T. Boone Pickens has done the same thing with Oklahoma State, albeit on a smaller scale.

Money flows freely in collegiate sports. It's been that way for decades. If Knight wants to pump 9 figures into his alma mater, that's his right. Get over it.

Although I will say that I stand by my statement that some genius Oregon grad @ Nike came up with all the crazy uniforms and the new basketball court to gain some sort of subconscious mental advantage over opponents. They're so drastically different than any other schools, they have to affect opposing players on some level.
His name is Tinker Hatfield.  And he is the reason for Niketalk, pay the man his respect and use his full name when speaking of his influence

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

The guy designs shoes. Never understood the fascination with dude. 
Jordan made Tinker. Not the other way around. 

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

Originally Posted by DIGITALJORDAN

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

ummm think again.  he designed a lot more than that my friend. a LOT more than that. do your research dude

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

ummm think again.  he designed a lot more than that my friend. a LOT more than that. do your research dude

Originally Posted by calibeebee

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif
@ Dude coming in here and not knowing *%@* about *%@*. 

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

I have forgot more about kicks then both of you will ever know. 
Nobody was lining up to get Tinker to sign some trainers. Jordans made Tinker a name we all know and some of us actually care about. Yeah he designed some nice stuff but so did a lot of other people. I don't see anyone on here praising them like Tinker. 

Like I said. Jordan made Tinker.

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Nobody was lining up to get Tinker to sign some trainers. Jordans made Tinker a name we all know and some of us actually care about. Yeah he designed some nice stuff but so did a lot of other people. I don't see anyone on here praising them like Tinker. 

Tinker Hatfield IS NOT the reason for Niketalk. There could not be a more incorrect statement made when speaking on any reason for Niketalk. Perhaps you should pay Niketalk some respect when speaking of it.

Tinker Hatfield IS NOT the reason for Niketalk. There could not be a more incorrect statement made when speaking on any reason for Niketalk. Perhaps you should pay Niketalk some respect when speaking of it.

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

He's designed Oregons uniforms and basketball court.He also designed shoes(Jordans 3-14,23) and buildings

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

He's designed Oregons uniforms and basketball court.He also designed shoes(Jordans 3-14,23) and buildings

Is that **#%+ your dad?

Is that **#%+ your dad?

Originally Posted by eight2one

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has donated millions to Umich

yes but does he own the premier sneaker company in the world? nope.

when it comes to the O program its not just the money.

its the fact that when recruiters go on trips they can show that nike gives O the premier gear/clothes/equip.

they have a backer that would do anything for the program, and he has.

Originally Posted by eight2one

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has donated millions to Umich

yes but does he own the premier sneaker company in the world? nope.

when it comes to the O program its not just the money.

its the fact that when recruiters go on trips they can show that nike gives O the premier gear/clothes/equip.

they have a backer that would do anything for the program, and he has.

calibeebee wrote:

eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Forgive me if I underestimated your shoe knowledge, the way you said it I thought you thought Tinker only designed Jordans. I'm not going to challenge you to a shoe-knowledge showdown or anything but I doubt what you said is true.
laugh.gif
Sorry if I came off as rude though.
Not sure if you're aware but Tinker was the one who came up with the whole concept for Air Max; he drew the inspiration from the Pompidou Centre and how it's utilitarian functions were celebrated on the exterior facade in bright colors rather than hidden as usual. Were it not for him and his background as an architect we might not have Air Max at all. IMO that air max bubble aesthetic alone was influential enough to "make" Tinker as a designer. He also developed the first cross-training shoes as well, and was on Fortune magazine's top 100 Most Influential Designers of the century. 

So yea, he might be more relevant because of Jordan, but he wasn't just some scrub. He would have still been one of the most culturally significant industrial designers of the past 50 years even if he didn't design Jordan's. It seemed like you were trivializing the role a designer plays and saying that anybody could have done what he did, which simply isn't true.

Back
Top Bottom