Nike ZOOM Pippen ........... not air.

Long read, conspiracy theories on why the mass release Pippen 1 wasn't a Zoom shoe.

Allegedly, Pippen was offered a Foamposite at somepoint and turned it down, saying he wanted a sig.

He did of course wear the Foam Pro for a little while, but that was after his first sig shoe dropped.

Now, if he wanted a sig shoe, why did he have relatively little input into its design.. maybe he really was too busy, but
lets think about it another way for a bit.

I'm wonderng if the design got 'hijacked' somewhere along the line.

The skeptic in me thinks the mass release shoe may have ended up as an Air Max shoe due to... money/marketing.

He Wore the OG full length Uptempos, the More Uptempos, the Uptempo 3, there was a fairly well established trend there
in terms of the type of shoe he wore, or was expected to wear.

There's also the profit margin...

The ZF96 was,.. what? $125 back in the day?

In terms of construction the (Zoom) Pippen 1 probably wouldn't have been substantially different...

Okay, lets say they tack on an extra $10 because it was Pippens sig... so $135 for the Zoom Pippen 1.

How much could they charge for an AIR MAX Pippen 1, an extra $15? (or was it as much as $160 new?)

How much extra would it cost to put an Air Max unit in the Pippen 1?

My guess would be its disproportionately low relative to how much they could charge for it,
and IIRC it used the same Air unit from the Uptempo 3, and that was used in the Total Max as well (?)

Plus a Pippen sig was long overdue, so they could charge a little extra anyway.... maybe they wanted an Air Max unit
to differentiate it a little from the Jordan 12 at the time.

Some random thoughts there... but whenever a shoe doesn't come out the way the designer intended it, or the player is wearing something different,
i always smell $$$ as a motivating factor.

(See also: The original concept drawing for the Penny IV)

Originally Posted by size twelve

oops my bad.. it was aaron cooper, not eric avar. sorry for the mistake.. both of them were interviewed in the very first SLAM issue.

thanks for the correction.

Okay, now im a bit lost: Did Cooper design the first two Pippens, or did Avar design 1, and Cooper 2?

eek.gif
Great read!

After all these years! No wonder his Pip 1s looked so flattened in that pic of him helping MJ off the court!

Originally Posted by cincybcats22

Yep.

Noticed that during that game.
Me too. I still remember (and have) the Sports Illustrated form the Flu Game and seeing the full length shot of Pip carrying MJ. I was staring athis shoes like "what the....".....

I never knew this. I do remember full length air unit was really cool back then, especially when they started have the visible ones, it it almost justifiessuch a high price. I don't think a consumer would be as likely to purchase a Pippen shoe for the same price if it was made out of Zoom Air. I think as thePippen line moved from air bubble to Zoom Air, the price of the shoe decrease, yes?

wow~
didnt notice tht even seen the pix for many times~
very interesting~ but i still dig the air bag ones~ air bag is the reason to make me like it~

this was discussed in detail a while back.... og heads already knew this. nice close up pics. as i recall, other bulls players wore the zoom version includingkukoc and kerr, and i doubt kerr wore a size 16... i was actually hoping the recent re-release would be the zoom version... but that would have been too goodto be true.

Back
Top Bottom