Nike says high hype is killing the culture / Sneaker culture is “gentrified”

Dude I’m just keeping it real. Those dudes open their wallets and their daddy‘s wallets and resell went through the roof. Remember when resale for OG Jordans was like 300-350 bucks max? That’s all skyrocketed now in the grand scheme of things. Shoe collection used to be about grabbing everything that you could because it wasn’t going to come out again. It was almost like a pub crawl of mom and pop shops. Above all it was a hood thing.I remember people thinking I was stupid for looking for old shoes. Once the suburbs got involved it was over.

I’m not making that statement out of hate or malice. It’s just a fax. Yeah other people were involved but the suburban boys came in and inflated prices to the point where they have just never returned
Sneakers got gentrified.

We had this conversation multiple times the past year and a half.

It came up in the Last Dance thread as well.

It’s not that it’s gentrified. There are more people buying sneakers now. Sneaker culture generally consisted only of Gen X and Millennials for most of the 90’s, 2000’s, and 2010’s. Now you have a whole new generation of sneakerheads in Gen Z. The entire culture increased by 33% the last few years.. it’s only going to get worse.

It's definitely gentrified a few mom and pop stores were selling white AF1 over msrp. A certain segment of the population rocks dirty white AF1s like chuck taylors now.

There's also less options. No one cares about Nike Basketball and Nike Sig shoes. They mostly look like team shoes/take down models from the early 2000s.

CarelessCoarseIchthyosaurs-max-1mb.gif

After what happened with Ann Hebert aka “SNKRS Backdoor”?

j-jbtzxclsv-lol-jbtzxclsv-laugh.gif

After losing to resellers and bots on the past sneakers some of us wanted?

tumblr_mf2xn7pMun1rkty0bo1_500.gif

Honestly I only hit on Christmas release kicks now. I don't even remember the last time I won a draw or SNKRS raffle besides Xmas 11s
This will be a slow gradual process, but the fact that over 90% of people who want the shoes can't get them directly from you is a problem.

The only thing that irks me is that they could easily kill the bots & reseller ****, but that would kill companies like StockX, GOAT, etc. so they refuse to.

A few of us been saying for years this **** is gentrified. All these dweebs and white kids wearing Jays and **** is comical but Nike doesn’t care. They gonna help me get shoes now cause of my ethnicity and cause I’ve been buying shoes for over 20 years? Nope

A few of us been saying for years this **** is gentrified. All these dweebs and white kids wearing Jays and **** is comical but Nike doesn’t care. They gonna help me get shoes now cause of my ethnicity and cause I’ve been buying shoes for over 20 years? Nope
What changed the game is that these complete no lifes were willing to spend whatever it takes to be cool for a day. Throw enough into the mix and shoes is nothing more than “I paid this much for ______”. Nothing more than a cash flaunt in material form. There is no such thing as rare anymore. Just spend the cash and you can have whatever

Last edited:
Feels like an intentional humblebrag to me, and an excuse to have policies that hurt or attack other brands, and/or raise some prices strategically.

Nobody is messing with Nike imo. Feels to me more like they just want to execute the next phase of their corporate plans.

FCFS

or switch the name up on colorways like fire red 3’s on the day of drop the app will call it hot alarm, so the bots won’t be able to search and find product. Or it will buy the wrong product.

or just make it so when things drop online a delay & switch up the item codes. Bots won’tbe able to secure shoes without certain details.

just my 2cents

FCFS

or switch the name up on colorways like fire red 3’s on the day of drop the app will call it hot alarm, so the bots won’t be able to search and find product. Or it will buy the wrong product.

or just make it so when things drop online a delay & switch up the item codes. Bots won’tbe able to secure shoes without certain details.

just my 2cents
This is actually a genius idea.

Nike has some of the best and brightest people, I don't understand like ideas like this or preorders haven't been implemented already.

I've heard the preorder thing several times over the last couple years.

Same shoes black/brown people used to not be let in the club with are now the hottest thing out.
Say it LOUDER for the dummies in the back.

Lots of they hate it cuz they ain't us in America. I been turned away at more doors than I can remember due to sneaker policies.

Had one club straight up tell me no Nikes.

FCFS

just my 2cents

Better yet…make more pairs. I don’t care what Nike has to say until they increase supply or do preorders. Until then everything they say is null and void and like the hype/resell culture.

From a pure business perspective meeting only 7% of the market demand for your product is WILD. They could double supply and everything still sell out.

Also I doubt it would change QC that much because anyone who has purchased a GR dunk or Jordan the pass year and a half will agree most of its terrible already anyways.

There've been a few kicks that have re-released over the years that I would’ve killed to own when I was younger. These days I don’t even bother to bat an eye when I see release dates. Took too many L’s since the introduction of bots and at this point I’m not spending resell prices, or battling it out with lines at the mall only for stores to have few pairs in stock.

Again, they don’t care about giving people a fairer chance fo cop. They care that their profits are taking a hit.

“Shaping the marketplace to reflect the community we serve…” is such a cheap trick to play. The community they’re seeking to serve is the paying community. They were completely fine with the gentrification that they created until it started to have an adverse effect on the money.

Back
Top Bottom