NIKE KOBE VI PROTRO - 2021

You know, if not for the tragic death of Kobe and his beautiful daughter, I would have loved to see if Kobe would have made his exit from Nike after the contract ended. Only Vanessa knows this for sure if he indeed were planning on leaving the swoosh, but I wonder if all of these people claiming to be a fan of his, would have continued to have done so if he did leave Nike to start his own brand?

I have a funny feeling that many here would have taken very a different position on all of this, if the tragedy did not occur. I do not trust the loyalty that I am reading here on NikeTalk.

As a massive Kobe fan, I can say that had he lived and left Nike, I'd certainly have been down with apparel from his Mamba brand, but shoes ... probably not. Not because they weren't Nikes, but because they'd have no on-court history with Kobe. It's the same reason there have been 17 sig Jordans since he retired for the second time, and almost all have them hold zero appeal to me (and to a lot of other fans). It's not solely about the athlete's name combining with the name of a shoe company, it's the accomplishments and memories that came with it.
If Kobe had started his own brand and happened to put out a pair of shoes I thought was sick, I would've bought them but it would only have been based on looks. It would never have the same meaning to me as his Nikes.

Last edited:
As a massive Kobe fan, I can say that had he lived and left Nike, I'd certainly have been down with apparel from his Mamba brand, but shoes ... probably not. Not because they weren't Nikes, but because they'd have no on-court history with Kobe. It's the same reason there have been 17 sig Jordans since he retired for the second time, and almost all have them hold zero appeal to me (and to a lot of other fans). It's not solely about the athlete's name combining with the name of a shoe company, it's the accomplishments and memories that came with it.
If Kobe had started his own brand and happened to put out a pair of shoes I thought were sick, I would've bought them but it would only have been based on looks. It would never have the same meaning to me as his Nikes.
That and the tech they could use. Say goodbye to full length zoom (or any sort of zoom) without Nike.

You know, if not for the tragic death of Kobe and his beautiful daughter, I would have loved to see if Kobe would have made his exit from Nike after the contract ended. Only Vanessa knows this for sure if he indeed were planning on leaving the swoosh, but I wonder if all of these people claiming to be a fan of his, would have continued to have done so if he did leave Nike to start his own brand?

I have a funny feeling that many here would have taken very a different position on all of this, if the tragedy did not occur. I do not trust the loyalty that I am reading here on NikeTalk.

Since the news broke that day, the death of his daughter and the other children that were killed is what hit me hardest. The loss of a child hits close to home and is something that no one should have to experience. She seemed to be on a trajectory to do great things in women's basketball (as well as Kobe, for that matter).

I'm probably in the minority in here, but I bought Kobes because they fit my feet well, were comfortable, looked cool, and played well (when I still played). I really have no emotional attachment to Kobe himself, but I appreciated that he seemed to be the most involved in the development of his signature sneakers (unlike Lebron, KD, etc). Given the uninspired nature of his "A.D." line (Nike stopped caring), lack of apparel, and his restless nature post-retirement...I have little doubt he was planning on walking away from the Swoosh to try and start his own brand. If footwear was a part of that brand, I'd have given them a fair shake as long as they made them in a 14 :lol:

I wonder what happens now going foward...I wonder if the pop Kobe 6 still comes out. I wonder if down the line Nike makes Kobe, Kd Ky not suing his name, like how Adidas made crazy 8s. I want to get more Kobe’s other than the ones I have, cause I love playing in them. But, all the prices went up by $100 or more. Crazy to think paying $430 for grinches is now a steal for me, since the prices went up

how u know, they told u? Lol
Nah your mom told me last night.

There’s been several articles posted about it in the past few pages
C63D57FC-E435-4586-A33C-C3C1B5DFE42D.jpeg

It was already damn near impossible to get protros for retail but the early resale prices weren’t so bad. Forget that now. I can kiss del sols goodbye 🤦🏼‍♂️.

I have seen some articles say they will release what is already in production and some articles say other wise.

Just have to wait and see. I hope the Del Sol's do drop but I know resell gonna be nuts if I can't hit online.

You know what I can't stop thinking, even though nothing is ever this black and white:

Sneaker culture is what is really to blame for this situation.

Sure, on the surface either Nike or Vanessa or a combo of them and their divergent views led to the split. But from the little we've heard about the backstory, it's difficult for me to blame anything but the culture of hype, resellers, limited-drop marketing strategies, SNKRS app ... These all sound like the things Nike loves as a business--because that's what the shoe business is all about right now--and they are also the things that Vanessa disliked in terms of making the shoes limited and difficult to get, let alone in womens' and kids' sizing.

My point is, it seems quite possible that if the culture now was like it was just a few years ago, none of this would have happened. Of course, it's entirely possible it would have, anyway. But the sneaker climate right now certainly didn't help the situation. Too bad Kobe's deal didn't expire two years from now, maybe things will have calmed down a little by then.

You know what I can't stop thinking, even though nothing is ever this black and white:

Sure, on the surface either Nike or Vanessa or a combo of them and their divergent views led to the split. But from the little we've heard about the backstory, it's difficult for me to blame anything but the culture of hype, resellers, limited-drop marketing strategies, SNKRS app ... These all sound like the things Nike loves as a business--because that's what the shoe business is all about right now--and they are also the things that Vanessa disliked in terms of making the shoes limited and difficult to get, let alone in womens' and kids' sizing.

My point is, it seems quite possible that if the culture now was like it was just a few years ago, none of this would have happened. Of course, it's entirely possible it would have, anyway. But the sneaker climate right now certainly didn't help the situation. Too bad Kobe's deal didn't expire two years from now, maybe things will have calmed down a little by then.

It’s a total **** storm. Him dying, Nike limiting, Pandemic giving everyone free time and needing to make money any way possible making everyone a reseller. It all combined to ruin it. Now with the line being stopped it’s hopeless. I’m glad I’m set on protros, but now I wont get future protros of shoes I was waiting for.

It’s a total **** storm. Him dying, Nike limiting, Pandemic giving everyone free time and needing to make money any way possible making everyone a reseller. It all combined to ruin it. Now with the line being stopped it’s hopeless. I’m glad I’m set on protros, but now I wont get future protros of shoes I was waiting for.
add covid too. lots of people got trigger happy with free money, justifying dropping $ on resell prices

Collecting anything now a days has turned into a crap show... SMH.

I remember back in 2010, I thought paying 2 bills for the Kobe 5 Big Stage Home version was too much :smh:

I have seen some articles say they will release what is already in production and some articles say other wise.

Just have to wait and see. I hope the Del Sol's do drop but I know resell gonna be nuts if I can't hit online.
I think they will release what’s produced but I could be wrong

gonna be a nightmare either way so no del sols for me anyways 🤡🤡🤡

I agree.

I just feel like if you exchange the word sneaker for something else...car, bicycle, watch etc. etc...for the most part, this doesn't happen. Sure, there are limited cars and watches. But, for the most part you don't get exploited unless you are extremely anxious to possess the newest and latest. Shoes, like cars should degrade with use. In that sense, you are correct that the people in the culture are to blame. Especially because literally 50-75% of the culture are legitimate hypebeasts imo.

Nike is totally to blame for not doing what's necessary to curve the appetite for exclusivity. They never had to meet demand for any of their releases. But there's a big difference between 10,000 pairs and 100,000 pairs. Imo, there's just no excuse for it. Especial when it comes to OG air max 95s or griffey Max's or air max cb's or Kobe releases or (insert your favorite regular release that should've been mass produced here.)

It ain't nothing new. Kids were being killed for their air Jordan's in the late 80s and early 90s...Nike did nothing in spite of the massive amount of bad press.

Back
Top Bottom