Nike Greater Than Series (Cut/Run/Jump)

Over 40 checking in here…

I remember when I was younger playing against some old heads and one of them told me this I’ll never forget it:

“I used to play to stay in shape, now I stay in shape so I can play”

In my 30’s I was really working out a lot in addition to playing ball. Now I mostly hoop and focus on eating right. Normally my weight is exactly the same or within 5 lbs of what I weighed back in college some 20 years ago. If I really cut out certain things I have gotten under my college weight on a number of occasions. I normally play in at least one adult league and my pickup hoops schedule looks something like this (can’t wear my watch in league but would be one more run in during the week)
92D806B4-C029-49AC-AAFB-F3B319746ABE.jpeg
grittyman grittyman What app is this?

Couldn’t wait to break these out for today’s hoop session
B199D4D7-34DA-46F5-9C83-0660CBB28593.jpeg

Semi-dusty court here at the Y, no problem the traction was definitely on point. The cushioning setup reminded me of the Kyrie 8 forefoot fused with the heel of the KD 13 but not quite as clunky. Definitely felt broken in out the box, I know people are saying they remind them of the Kobe 8 but I feel like they’re an upgraded version of the 360 NXT’s.

Looking forward to putting them on the court again later this week!
were 360 NXTs not Kobe's in a way?

More stretching. Probably the most underrated aspect of physical competition at all levels but most necessary the older you get. It's been a game changer for me. I'm 43 going on 44 in a few months
just be mindful not to overstretch. I guess that's what I did when I tore my calf muscle, too much stretching.

Over 40 checking in here…

I remember when I was younger playing against some old heads and one of them told me this I’ll never forget it:

“I used to play to stay in shape, now I stay in shape so I can play”

In my 30’s I was really working out a lot in addition to playing ball. Now I mostly hoop and focus on eating right. Normally my weight is exactly the same or within 5 lbs of what I weighed back in college some 20 years ago. If I really cut out certain things I have gotten under my college weight on a number of occasions. I normally play in at least one adult league and my pickup hoops schedule looks something like this (can’t wear my watch in league but would be one more run in during the week)
92D806B4-C029-49AC-AAFB-F3B319746ABE.jpeg
as of the moment, the wife and I are watching a youtube video concerning how sugar is the culprit in everything that is bad that is going on inside our bodies. and we thought it was only salt, fat and carbs.

was ballin in my cuts earlier at 24 hour fitness, this one dude asked me "why u wearing your church shoes bro?" lmaooo.

this is probably the 4th time someone had asked me what I'm wearing.

Cuts probably the rarest/limited bball shoes right now lol.

34 here lol

Played hs/college/overseas/ now in pro aim summer Sunday league n pickup run Wednesday nights.

Body a wreck after I’m done.

Hyper ice knee compression saves me, but I’m not stopping I love this game 😂😂😂

low key glad im not the only one lmao.

no professional experience. played some high school ball but i wasnt even one of the best players lol.

I'm 34 as well. back then i used live in my local gym, played ball every single day lol. nowadays i need a week to recover from 1-2 hour of sessions.

More stretching. Probably the most underrated aspect of physical competition at all levels but most necessary the older you get. It's been a game changer for me. I'm 43 going on 44 in a few months
No lie I forget to stretch sometimes and regret it post playing. I'm in my late 20s. Stretching def is wise even for a quick pick up game. Prevents injury and pain later on.

No lie I forget to stretch sometimes and regret it post playing. I'm in my late 20s. Stretching def is wise even for a quick pick up game. Prevents injury and pain later on.
just don't overdo it. it can be equally bad.

low key glad im not the only one lmao.

no professional experience. played some high school ball but i wasnt even one of the best players lol.

I'm 34 as well. back then i used live in my local gym, played ball every single day lol. nowadays i need a week to recover from 1-2 hour of sessions.
why do I get the feeling like you guys are doing worse than I am. it shouldn't be that bad. over 40 here and gained too much over the years. my optimal is 165 lbs. and my normal should be around 175 lbs. right now I'm around 210 lbs and just managing the weight and what my body could carry.

my full recovery for 2-3 hours of playing should be around 3 days but managing around 2 days.

Recovery days (rest), off day workouts, good nutrition and hydration, and stretching are all key. I’m 49 and had to scale back from playing 5 days a week to 3 days a week around 40. My non basketball days are 50% resting and 50% lifting and cardio. I stretch and walk every day to keep the body moving.

The trick to stretching is to know when to stretch (after warming up some), what stretches to do for the specific activity, and how much (depends on your body). There are some good videos out there.

My wife keeps telling me I should do yoga. I’ve done it a few times but can’t really get into it. I have added some yoga stretches into my stretching routines though.

Good luck to all you aging ballers.

Dang, OLD^^^^^ kidding my friend. I’m right behind you. One of these days we will be done but it ain’t today. Got four full court games in (won first two, lost third, sat a game, lost fourth). Would have played more but 25 guys in the gym - I am NOT waiting three games to play. Too old and sore when stand up.

Dang, OLD^^^^^ kidding my friend. I’m right behind you. One of these days we will be done but it ain’t today. Got four full court games in (won first two, lost third, sat a game, lost fourth). Would have played more but 25 guys in the gym - I am NOT waiting three games to play. Too old and sore when stand up.
Hell yeah. Getting old, still playing and not planing to stop anytime soon. Just tweaking my routines and frequency to keep on the court for years to come. I play occasionally with guys who are still playing in their 50s and 60s and know a couple guys who played into their early 70s. Talk about life goals.

Hell yeah. Getting old, still playing and not planing to stop anytime soon. Just tweaking my routines and frequency to keep on the court for years to come. I play occasionally with guys who are still playing in their 50s and 60s and know a couple guys who played into their early 70s. Talk about life goals.
this would have been great. playing against your age bracket makes you feel better and you know you could keep up and play better with them.

my wife plays pickleball with people in their 60s and 70s, actually the oldest guy is 94 😂 I used to be a tennis player so I picked up pickleball really easily. She got addicted and plays 3-4x a week. I literally dont go anymore - I told her I’ll play when I can’t hoop anymore lol

my wife plays pickleball with people in their 60s and 70s, actually the oldest guy is 94 😂 I used to be a tennis player so I picked up pickleball really easily. She got addicted and plays 3-4x a week. I literally dont go anymore - I told her I’ll play when I can’t hoop anymore lol
it's ok. it's a small version of tennis and a court version of pingpong. it's pretty much a hybrid of 2 sports. easier compared to tennis. I might transition to bowling or golf though once my basketball days are over.

Putting up shots rn on these. Not in my regular rotation cuz I haven’t fully broken these in quite well.

Prolly my weirdest purchase of 2021. Went to a Nike store which is known for selling just running shoes then they had these sitting where the trail shoes were and I immediately asked for my size :lol:

BC3B1A52-559B-4B2F-9281-34EA3D8C851D.jpeg

Last edited:
Put in a second run in the cuts this morning… really noticed how low to the ground these are in the forefoot area. Court feel is amazing, and the shoe is super responsive. I think someone in this thread mentioned it but the trade off is that impact protection is just okay.

Recovery days (rest), off day workouts, good nutrition and hydration, and stretching are all key. I’m 49 and had to scale back from playing 5 days a week to 3 days a week around 40. My non basketball days are 50% resting and 50% lifting and cardio. I stretch and walk every day to keep the body moving.

The trick to stretching is to know when to stretch (after warming up some), what stretches to do for the specific activity, and how much (depends on your body). There are some good videos out there.

My wife keeps telling me I should do yoga. I’ve done it a few times but can’t really get into it. I have added some yoga stretches into my stretching routines though.

Good luck to all you aging ballers.

46 here, slowly getting back into it. 2 knee surgeries in 2020 and eventual knee replacement, but trying to stay in shape so I can play.

At first wifey was against it, but now, very encouraging. Starting to play in an over 40 league in July and with my old work squad. Played against a church league team last week and some of them guys were in their 50s, one in their 60s. If I can go as hard as they did for their age, I'll be happy. First time playing pickup in almost 10 years.

Unfortunately sending my Jumps back. The off white color way is really dope and good quality overall but the toe box is too narrow for my wide feet. Felt a strong pinching at my toes after a few shoot around sessions. I don't think I've ever had this problem in Nikes.

Back
Top Bottom