Nike Basketball (any brand) Rotation/Performance Reviews

Not to sound like a-hole but this is niketalk.com

We do have other brands section to discuss that. But if you feel like talking off tangent be my guest.

Eh.

If it’s in your rotation, Nike or otherwise, post it here.

It’s the performance rotation thread.

Don’t get me wrong I strictly only hoop in Nike lol. But I’m always interested in the performance of other brands and may venture out from time to time

If it performs really well, I’m interested.

If it’s ASICS hoops, I need to hear about it lol!

I heard the adidas crazy explosive was a big top performer, can anyone confirm that one ?

Yeah.

2016 version has softer boost, slight mushy feeling but still incredible.

2017 version they thinned out/ firmed up the boost and it felt like they also increased the heel to toe drop.

Personally I prefer the 17 performance wise but the 16 looks wise.

Eh.

If it’s in your rotation, Nike or otherwise, post it here.

It’s the performance rotation thread.

If it performs really well, I’m interested.

If it’s ASICS hoops, I need to hear about it lol!

Same. I enjoy hearing about how all hoop shoes perform. To be honest though, I only hoop and rock with Nike. I know...I know....I'm missing out on some good stuff that other brands put out but I can't do it. I'll be out looking at shoes and my wife will tell me how nice some Adidas or some other stuff will look and I always say, " I can't wear that. Nike might revoke my lifetime contract. :rofl:"

So many sprained ankles avoided by playing in the kobe 1s, I've stepped on peoples feet and I'm sure if I wore any other shoe I wouldve went down

So many sprained ankles avoided by playing in the kobe 1s, I've stepped on peoples feet and I'm sure if I wore any other shoe I wouldve went down

This is interesting because you can literally sprain your ankle in ANY basketball shoe.

It's the most common injury in the sport and no matter how supportive the shoe you're wearing is, you can still sprain your ankle in a variety of ways.

Shoes across the board are fairly similar in terms of perceived ankle support. The difference is really in amount of proprioception and not the actual support you're getting from a shoe.

With that being said... do you guys wear ankle braces while playing?

I don't for two reasons... one being that I don't want to put that extra torque on my knees (a lack of mobility in the ankle increases the work that your knees have to do) and two- I don't want to deal with having to gauge what shoes will work with my brace. Sizing outside of Nike is already complicated enough.

I should wear these more. Good enough to challenge any shoe since they came out. Threw on the alternate laces that came with the Bred 31s.

Snug. Minimal. Crazy traction and great forefoot cushion.
Have this exact pair. Heel took some getting used to and mine were snug, yeah, but they are fast. I should bring them out again.

No ankle braces, i don’t even carrying/attaching things on my body like that especially Only will if im injured or in recovery.

I’m considering getting a arm band with pad protection though.

Any recommendations?

Jordan alpha 1 who's played in them
I had a pair back when they came out, which of course was a while ago so kinda hard to give a thorough performance review. However, I do remember not wearing them for ball because they pretty much reminded me of the AJ1 with better cushioning. Not the most comfortable upper if you’re going to wear them for long periods of time.

I heard the adidas crazy explosive was a big top performer, can anyone confirm that one ?

Probably my favorite shoe to play in ever. I know some people thought the boost was a little too bouncy, and the traction wore out relatively fast, but I don't think I've ever had another shoe as comfortable to play in for multiple hours.

Rotating mostly through Kobe's w/ the 360s, 11 EMs and 9s at the top.
For something different PG 1s and 2016 crazy explosives

I wasn’t a fan. Rear Boost was too mushy, forefoot Boost was too thin, 4 eyelets didn’t provide enough lockdown, and traction wasn’t very durable. Also, TTS was too roomy for me but when I tried 1/2 size down they were too snug. Saw plenty of reviews where people swore by them but they didn’t work for me at all.

I like CE16 low primeknit. Liked em enough to think about getting a second pair. They were good for a tile gym I play on. Never did tho

This is interesting because you can literally sprain your ankle in ANY basketball shoe.

It's the most common injury in the sport and no matter how supportive the shoe you're wearing is, you can still sprain your ankle in a variety of ways.

Shoes across the board are fairly similar in terms of perceived ankle support. The difference is really in amount of proprioception and not the actual support you're getting from a shoe.

I don't for two reasons... one being that I don't want to put that extra torque on my knees (a lack of mobility in the ankle increases the work that your knees have to do) and two- I don't want to deal with having to gauge what shoes will work with my brace. Sizing outside of Nike is already complicated enough.

It is true you can sprain your ankle no matter the shoe. But the ankle support that you can get from certain high cut shoes that have medial stiffness will have less damage on a roll vs a low cut shoe that has no medial coverage. There is a reason why GS doctors told curry not to wear low cut shoes after his ankle injuries.

It is true you can sprain your ankle no matter the shoe. But the ankle support that you can get from certain high cut shoes that have medial stiffness will have less damage on a roll vs a low cut shoe that has no medial coverage. There is a reason why GS doctors told curry not to wear low cut shoes after his ankle injuries.

only had the chance to play in the CE16 low and felt the boost was too mushy for me. traction was decent but the soles wore out quickly. my favorite boost bball shoe is the drose 6. great traction and the best boost setup IMO. The rose 7 was too narrow for me, but otherwise it was probably an upgrade in traction and lockdown with a little less boost.

Does anyone want a 20 % off code on Wilson.com I got one from the homecourt basketball shot tracking app

Edit it's gone but you can get your own if you make 68 shots right now

Last edited:
hooped in the KD 12 for the first time. some initial thoughts:

- went TTS and still have a little space in the toebox. i have a regular width foot fwiw. these fit me better than any other shoe i've played in in a long time
- surprised at how low to the ground these are. still doesn't have the court feel of the harden 3, but not far off. i can see this being a versatile shoe for any position because of the nice blend of cushioning and court feel
- everyone is obsessed with the cushioning, but the fit and lockdown is also worth hyping up except for a very tiny bit of heel slip. didn't bother me much, but i did notice it. prob goes away with more break-in time as does most shoes.
- played on a semi-dusty court and traction was above average. not as good as something like the zer0.2s out the gate, but def much better than the dame 5s and kyrie 5s. prob better than the lebron 16s also but we'll see how it ages
- laces are kinda on the short side, but more of a cosmetic thing that doesn't affect performance
- did experience a little bit of pain on the lateral side of my arches, but i imagine more break in time will resolve this

- did experience a little bit of pain on the lateral side of my arches, but i imagine more break in time will resolve this

This is overlooked a lot and it hadn’t even occurred to me with all the talk about the cushion on these.

Do they have any kind of torsion plate (carbon fiber or plastic) in them?

Adidas is really good about this. Nike is really hit and miss in terms of this feature.

This was a huge issue for me with the Kobe 11’s.

Solid shoe but my arches were on FIRE every time after I played in them because there was no torsion plate in them- - you could easily fold the shoe in half with your hands.

Got rid of those bad boys after a month.

Back
Top Bottom