Nike Air Pegasus ALL NEW MODELS 30, 31, 32 and up

based on the wrinkle, it is evident the top layer of the midsole is zoomx with all the wrinkles while the bottom half doesn't have as much creases

36700007_1035155789984972_2980220060859105280_n.jpg
I ran that 5k also.

Going with half as much ZoomX as originally planned would seemingly allow Nike to produce more of these and at a lower cost instead of the alternative of sticking a plate between the full ZoomX. That would be a no-brainer for the decision makers I would think. Keeping the plates in only the ZF and VF models (i.e. the Breaking2 / "Fly" line) would add for some consistency across the lines too.

My problem is just that the marketing for the Turbo hammered away on the notion that the Turbos were ZoomX (which they technically are) and only after the fact we find out that they're actually ZoomX + React. They literally put the "Zoom X" logo on the react portion of the midsole FFS.

Anyway, I did a fartlek this morning in the Turbos and by the end I was missing the plate. Feel like I'm gonna stick with either ZF or VF for that run. I'm running a half marathon on Saturday and was contemplating running in the Turbos since I'm approaching this as more of a low-key race, but after how my feet felt during the fartlek, I'm sticking with VF for the race.

Thanks for the info! After reading your input, it seems like the Peg Turbo isn’t for me. And I actually think the regular Peg35 might be better (for me) since it has a curve Zoom bag mimicking the plates in the ZF and VF to help propel you forward.
The bag feels nothing even remotely close to the plate in the VF, FWIW.

The bag feels nothing even remotely close to the plate in the VF, FWIW.

Good to know. From reading all the input about the Peg Turbos, they seem like a premium EpicReact, essentially, a super cushioned trainer. With that said, they’re a pass from me *UNLESS I can find them at the outlets for a deal. I think the regular Peg35 would suit me better since I prefer the responsive/firm ride over the cushioned.

The plate makes a difference, which makes me think the Fly line is still Nike’s best 1-2 punch right now, IMO.

I don't mind them mixing REACT and ZoomX. My problem is that if you look closely at the video [2:08], there is very little ZoomX in this shoe. It mostly forms a rim around the strobel board [highlighted in black]. $180 and very little ZoomX!

i think it's too hard to tell from that vid, the deconstructed midsole could be from when they were still putting a zoom bag in there

it looks like the bottom react is concaved so that would mean more zoomx to fill out the top

just based on the pics of the people have been wearing (and the pair I have in hand) pretty much 50% of the midsole feels like zoomx, that is not "very little" zoomx

zoomx with a cf plate is still $250, so zoomx mixed with react without the plate for $70 less and more readily available (hopefully) isn't too bad

and sometimes the combo just works, zoomx by itself is likely too soft where if there isn't a plate in there or a zoom bag or it's too thick that you just sink in too much

at the end of the day, if it performs well it shouldn't be a big issue, i'm seeing some doing PRs with the turbos on IG, might be with the training or placebo effect but if it's working, it's working

we do overthink this a bit too much at times and I get it, it's not a cheap shoe but everyone can vouch on how it performs and feel and even if there is 2mm of zoomx in there and it still makes it feel lighter and perform well then just run in them

Going with half as much ZoomX as originally planned would seemingly allow Nike to produce more of these and at a lower cost instead of the alternative of sticking a plate between the full ZoomX. That would be a no-brainer for the decision makers I would think. Keeping the plates in only the ZF and VF models (i.e. the Breaking2 / "Fly" line) would add for some consistency across the lines too.

My problem is just that the marketing for the Turbo hammered away on the notion that the Turbos were ZoomX (which they technically are) and only after the fact we find out that they're actually ZoomX + React. They literally put the "Zoom X" logo on the react portion of the midsole FFS.

Anyway, I did a fartlek this morning in the Turbos and by the end I was missing the plate. Feel like I'm gonna stick with either ZF or VF for that run. I'm running a half marathon on Saturday and was contemplating running in the Turbos since I'm approaching this as more of a low-key race, but after how my feet felt during the fartlek, I'm sticking with VF for the race.

Glad you’re getting more miles in the Turbos. For an all around marathon training shoe would you go with the Turbo or Epic React? I’m thinking of returning my Epic React as I like them but don’t love them. I was hoping I’d be able to get the Turbo by now to compare but struck out last week and my 30 day window for the Epic React is coming up.

I just had a great run in the Epic React so I’m second guessing the return.

Glad you’re getting more miles in the Turbos. For an all around marathon training shoe would you go with the Turbo or Epic React? I’m thinking of returning my Epic React as I like them but don’t love them. I was hoping I’d be able to get the Turbo by now to compare but struck out last week and my 30 day window for the Epic React is coming up.

I just had a great run in the Epic React so I’m second guessing the return.

That's a tough question. I do so much easy running in the Epic React lately that I'm not sure I could part ways with them. That said, I don't like to go very fast in Epic React because I feel like they get sloppy when running hard. Turbo is a bit firmer on contact for easy running but I think you could do more in it. If I had to choose one, I would probably go with the Turbo as an all around shoe. I've been running in Epic React since Feb and the thought never crossed my mind to even attempt MP running or speed work in them. Maybe some people like them for that but not me. I've had the Turbos since Friday and I've used it for easy running, a steady state run and a fartlek this morning. Only thing left would be a hard long run and I may try that within the next couple weeks.

Lately I could pretty much get by with just Epic React + VF. I'm swapping in Peg35 for my short recovery runs and ZF for fartlek'ing, but I could do the recoveries in Epic React and fartleks in VF. I was pretty happy with my combo of VF, ZF, Epic React and Pegasus. That's why the Turbos are a bit out of place for me. I don't absolutely need a $180 option to swap in and out, but I like cool shoes, so I'm gonna do it anyway :smile: Plus, I think it's good to have a rotation too, change it up for your feet

Based on the $250 retail of the 4%, one would expect this shoe with full ZoomX (but no carbon plate) to retail around $225-230 (given an estimated $25-30 upcharge for the carbon plate).

So for $180, it makes sense Nike would skimp on the ZoomX.

Here's another video from Sneaker on Sight speaking with Whitney Johnson about the Turbo at the launch event with better views of the midsole components. They have the individual midsoles and it's pretty clear that the bottom half is React, with the top half being ZoomX. That said, if you blow the video up and focus on the React layer it does appear to be quite concave, with the ZoomX layer extending further below the top ridges of the React layer. It looks like the React is thicker around the heel (makes sense given durability issues), and otherwise seems to act more as a buffer for the sides and bottom of the stack. Interesting to see the individual pieces!

Good luck, I know how it is. Do you own a pair of zoom flys or 4% even? I would use them for the pt test. You AF? It’s still 1.5 mile right?
Yep AF. I haven’t tried the zoom flys or 4%. I was going to use the reacts this year but want to see if the turbos are better. It is still 1.5 miles and I have been struggling to get under 11:00 since I moved to high elevation

Fam I’m interested in hearing your opinion on the best shoe for a casual street runner. Casual translates to 10-15 miles a week.

1. Zoom Fly
2. React
3. Pegasus 35

That's my favorite 4% CW too! I'm really hoping they give us that flyknit 4% in crimson that we've seen pop up a few times from Nike pros on IG
I need to find someone who is selling an 8.5 for non destructive prices smh. I haven’t really liked the pics of the 2s but the flyknit has me intrigued

Back
Top Bottom