Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

2016 Retro vs. 2000 Retro.

Both are size 13 so the proportions should be identical. This particular 2000 pair was the final pair of 2000s I ever bought and was a store display model for a couple months after they released. Thus, because of the light exposure, over time they have become more yellow than some of my other 2000 pairs. I didn't realize this was the one I pulled until after I started taking pics.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves, but here are the differences I can see between these.

- Of course, the 2000s came in the black and silver, long used MJ "Face" box. With a Retro card.

- Toe box shape looks pretty sleek on both.

- The Durabuck is identical in appearance and again, a little different in touch. The 2000 Durabuck is very slightly fuzzy like the 2016s, but is actually a little bit softer to the touch, while the 2016 Durabuck is a little firmer/stiffer. A little.

- The 2000s have this small dimple that someone here called the "Widow's Peak" the other night. This is present both on the toe AND the heel right above NIKE AIR. The 2016s don't have this.

- The NIKE AIR branding on the 2016 heels is clearly bigger.

- The 2016s have a red insole with white NA branding which is true to the 1990s, but the 2000s have a black insole with white NA branding.

- The red toggles inside the lace locks on the 2000s don't have branding. The 2016 toggles have NIKE on one side and the Jumpman on the other.

- The NIKE font on the sole is different and not as slanted/italicized.

- Of course the differences in material on the tongues that we've already noted. The 2000 tongues seem to be coated Durabuck like the 1990s. Tongue height on the 2016s seems higher.

- The Air Jordan tag inside the tongue is upside down on the 2016, which is true to the 1990 OG. Oddly, it was right side up on the 2000s.

- Mesh hole size is identical and "skinny slit shaped" on the 2016s and 2000s. On the 1990s they were more oval shaped.

- The lines on the 2016 midsoles (around and above the Vis-Air window) are a little more defined, similar to the 1990s. On the 2000s, they were "softer."

I think that's about all I can come up with. I may also do 2016 vs. 2007 and 2011 comparisons later, because I'm going to be getting rid of some of my 2007s and 2011s so I will have to photograph them anyway.

View media item 2112104
View media item 2112107
View media item 2112108
View media item 2112114
View media item 2112116
View media item 2112118
View media item 2112119
View media item 2112121
View media item 2112123
View media item 2112124
View media item 2112128
View media item 2112129
View media item 2112130
View media item 2112131
View media item 2112132
View media item 2112134

BONUS PIC - My Y2K army of black Vs. Sitting next to them folded up is the one black t-shirt that Nike released with these in 2000. Size XL, DS, still with the tag attached. It was an extra that I tucked in one of these boxes and forgot about. Tees cost $20 back then. Now they're $40 or more. Screw inflation.

View media item 2112155

Last edited:
I tripled up favorite shoes of all time. I was happy they were easy to get. Any advice on how to keep the soles on my spares from yellowing?

If you wear them long enough eventually the soles will yellow. But what helps mine last longer is storing them in a completely dark closet whenever they're not on my feet. These Grapes are 3 plus years old, I've worn them a lot, and no yellowing yet:

View media item 2112160

View media item 2112149nice pics pain. thought only the js with a NA hangtag was the 3 and 4.

when i get mine im going to hang a NA tag on mine

Back in the day, there were SOME Vs that came with the hangtag in 1990. But it was the IVs that were supposed to come with them. Not sure about the IIIs, maybe them too? I came across about 5 or 6 NA hangtags in the early 00s and put them on various OG shoes that I had, like the ATC IIs and the Air Force V Lows. And the black Vs, obviously.

These were announced in december. Folks could've saved up for these. Not to make assumptions, but obviously many didn't consider saving and or didn't have that much to spend. Whether you make a lot of money or not, saving up money could have gotten you these and not left you broke. I'm not debating whether the price should have been $220 but the principle still applies

A-freaking-men. I've been budgeting with these in mind since December. My family basically got evicted from our house of 15 years in late January (so the owner could get a golden parachute from that insane Bay Area real estate money), we completed a $10K 400 mile move in April, and I've been extremely careful with my spending since. I was still able to get these multiple times over. BTW - Not only did my girl support me doing this, she got in on the raffle process herself AND bought her very first pair of AJ's ever.

I look at it like, if it's something that means a great deal to you, you sacrifice in other areas and find a way to make it happen. $240 a pair didn't make a whole lot of difference to me in comparison to the value of the memories and nostalgia that these bring.

Rep'd.
Save, save, save. It seems like that is not instilled anymore in todays youth. Spending beyond your means is the norm..... :smh:

@MarzThaRealist  you're obviously a man of exquisite taste my friend 
nthat.gif

Right? For those that have wide feet, did anyone half size up? I feel like I should have, but it could have been the thick dri-fit socks that nike makes.
View media item 2112011[/quote]

Same here. I tried on my normal sz 11 in store and they felt great. But after wearing them for a full day my toes were a little crunched. Going to try on an 11.5 to see how they feel and hopefully do an exchange if necessary.

Right? For those that have wide feet, did anyone half size up? I feel like I should have, but it could have been the thick dri-fit socks that nike makes.
View media item 2112011

Same here. I tried on my normal sz 11 in store and they felt great. But after wearing them for a full day my toes were a little crunched. Going to try on an 11.5 to see how they feel and hopefully do an exchange if necessary.[/quote]

I went a size 13 instead of 14 because that's all they had as usual and they felt pretty good. I don't really wear my sneakers for a long time. When I know I'm going to have a long day I will put a shoe that is meant for a lot of walking and running. Like the nmds and roshes

UPS let me send the 5s to the customer center to pick up. Glad that is over with.
Did you call UPS after you received the tracking number from Nike.com in order to arrange for the pick up? I have the same dilemma. My order says expected delivery date is 7/29 but I won't be in town to receive them so I'd like to pick up at the UPS center so my package doesn't get stolen from my front porch.

UPS let me send the 5s to the customer center to pick up. Glad that is over with.

Did you call UPS after you received the tracking number from Nike.com in order to arrange for the pick up? I have the same dilemma. My order says expected delivery date is 7/29 but I won't be in town to receive them so I'd like to pick up at the UPS center so my package doesn't get stolen from my front porch.
myUPS usually lets you change delivery online, no rep needed.sign up, its free

My choice only works if you were sending the package to a residential address.  If you were shipping to a commercial address its useless. 

I just got home from work and I was so EXCITED to look at both the pairs I had lol. I love these so much. People do not understand how much I love thte 5s. To make them in this shape, and comfort is seriously a dream come true. I hope they do these with grapes....

Do you guys think these will ever hit the outlets? Some people said the wc4s and maroon 6s did but I have never seen that before. I live in NJ so that could be why?

Yes I talked to them as soon as I received the tracking number. I don't like waiting for the shoes.

Back
Top Bottom