Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

I'm going to un subscribe until real pics surface. Even if they don't look that different, there is no need in examining fakes. 

Remember these from 2006-08 era?
Idk why Gentry kept these and released the PE

Gotta love the 2006 shape and the materials like nice too

Because Gentry is a moron. He and the Brand wanted to make these small and unnecessary changes to "protect" the originals, as if those shoes can still be worn. He is a big part of why we have so many different shapes, especially the demise of the AJ IV. Gentry being a "collector" should have had him standing up for the integrity of the shoes when they retroed, and made sure they were made close to the original without compromising shape and certain materials and not being a proponent of them chopping and butchering every model.

It ridiculous what the brand refuses to do, which is make an accurate recreation of the original. The money is there, and the demand is there, now would be the time to do it.

Because Gentry is a moron. He and the Brand wanted to make these small and unnecessary changes to "protect" the originals, as if those shoes can still be worn. He is a big part of why we have so many different shapes, especially the demise of the AJ IV. Gentry being a "collector" should have had him standing up for the integrity of the shoes when they retroed, and made sure they were made close to the original without compromising shape and certain materials and not being a proponent of them chopping and butchering every model.

It ridiculous what the brand refuses to do, which is make an accurate recreation of the original. The money is there, and the demand is there, now would be the time to do it.
I used to buy into that narrative, and he's really a **** when it comes to his collection. But I think what he was trying was to cut Nike from JB, set up MJ's own branding. Look at the 2002 1's without the swoosh for crying out loud.  The shape debate is one for another time, but many shapes even in the Gentry era are superior the OG's in my eyes. Nevertheless he shouldn't be working in any high position involving design again.

I used to buy into that narrative, and he's really a **** when it comes to his collection. But I think what he was trying was to cut Nike from JB, set up MJ's own branding. Look at the 2002 1's without the swoosh for crying out loud.  The shape debate is one for another time, but many shapes even in the Gentry era are superior the OG's in my eyes. Nevertheless he shouldn't be working in any high position involving design again.

Yeah, thats why I put the word protect in quotations. All they cared about was money. The main shape change was the IV, they ruined it along with material cuts. That happened to the 2004 IVs. I want a multi billion dollar company to have pride in their product, not just contract the product to the lowest bidder to where is vastly changes the look of the product.

He wasn't ask bad. He did SOME good things
Yeah help JB make a ton of money, by sacrificing what Jordan Brand stood for, which was quality and craftmanship. Now JB is having trouble going back to pre 2004 Molds because they are in a Dilemna of wanting to please us and please the investors. Again, the IV for example, all they are doing in putting bandaids and fixing certain spots, instead of finding the old mold and having the factory make the shoe off that. I know thats a cost issue, but if they wouldve never changed it, we wouldnt be in this situation now.

People get really salty over the 2004 IV's for no good reason, same with 2006 V's which IMO blow away the OG slant for miles. The only times you can argue are when they become steel toe boots like the 2011-13 era shoes. I think the 2016 WC4 is equal to the 1989 Jordan IV Mid too when they don't OD on speckling for example. We've had this a thousand times, old old oldheads like the OG molds, we prefer the 1994\1999-2008ish molds.

Last edited:
People get really salty over the 2004 IV's for no good reason, same with 2006 V's which IMO blow away the OG slant for miles. The only times you can argue are when they become steel toe boots like the 2011-13 era shoes. I think the 2016 WC4 is equal to the 1989 Jordan IV Mid too when they don't OD on speckling for example. We've had this a thousand times, old old oldheads like the OG molds, we prefer the 1994\1999-2008ish molds.

Things Wrong with the 04 IV

Shorter than 99s (Wings shouldnt be so close to the midsole)
Thin Tongue
Air Unit Depth was shorter (The air unit on the 99/00 IV was deep in the midsole)
Netting was changed, it was thin, and not slanted
Stitching was sloppy and not as defined (Especially under the wings, where it only stayed even with the bottom of the wing)
Cheaper materials
Smaller Back Tab
Bottom lace holders
Shape (Though not as bad as it is today)

04 vs 2016

04s still had good padding around the ankles
Shape was better on the 04 mold

Thin Tongue
Air Unit Depth was shorter (The air unit on the 99/00 IV was deep in the midsole)
Stitching was sloppy and not as defined (Especially under the wings, where it only stayed even with the bottom of the wing)
Cheaper materials
Smaller Back Tab
Bottom lace holders

04 vs 2016

04s still had good padding around the ankles
Shape was better on the 04 mold
Most of us don't really care unless it looks bad. I'm only here for the Nike Air and Nikebuck,I could care less about the shape unless it's a steel toed boot or takes too many clues from the OG 3's and ends up looking like they get stepped on. Unless they look like a CDP 4, 95% of us couldn't care less. Then again I dislike 50% of the actual OGs, so let's agree to disagree.

Last edited:
It's because at the 13 year mark the 4's started to fall apart, and the 5's were toast by 2005.

Some that were worn alot but not beat to [emoji]128169[/emoji] made it even further... I wanna say 15 year mark but with highly yellow soles..

Thin Tongue
Cheaper materials
Smaller Back Tab
Bottom lace holders

It should be pointed out that in 2004, they hadn't yet changed the density of the midsoles so they were VERY VERY comfortable compared to 4s from 2006 and later

Most of us don't really care unless it looks bad.

Thats the thing, to those of us who were used to the original/1999 shape, it does look bad. The current shape is all newer cats know so it doesnt bother them.

Last edited:
It should be pointed out that in 2004, they hadn't yet changed the density of the midsoles so they were VERY VERY comfortable compared to 4s from 2006 and later

Correct, but the air units didnt go in as deep anymore. Im just glad they didnt go to that extreme with the IIIs as well, can you imagine them with no air unit depth.

Thats the thing, to those of us who were used to the original/1999 shape, it does look bad. The current shape is all newer cats know so it doesnt bother them.
I'm used to the 99 shape actually, I got all my J's by thrifting back in the day. But really it was perfectly fine in my eyes, the only bad looking 4 is the CDP 4. The Promo fakes look 18000x better and don't have paint cracking. 

Soft midsole all day though, cats who keep their kicks DS for 10+ yrs whining that they crumble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom