Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

Finally Unds’d today after all these years. Sole still icey blue but the netting is finally staring to yellow. Had to go ahead put em to pavement before they stared to rot. One of my favorite Jordan’s. Wish I had doubled up would’ve worn a lot sooner.
9B435093-D368-47F5-9CEF-EA716917FAA9.jpeg
Why did you wait so long to wear them?

…especially if they’re one of your favorites?

Last couple days I was looking at buying a pair of the anthracites, as a cheaper alternative to the metallics.

…also because i think 5s look like **** with yellow netting.

Finally Unds’d today after all these years. Sole still icey blue but the netting is finally staring to yellow. Had to go ahead put em to pavement before they stared to rot. One of my favorite Jordan’s. Wish I had doubled up would’ve worn a lot sooner.
9B435093-D368-47F5-9CEF-EA716917FAA9.jpeg
This summer it’ll be seven years since those dropped. They’ll be back within two—three years, I bet.

Last couple days I was looking at buying a pair of the anthracites, as a cheaper alternative to the metallics.

…also because i think 5s look like **** with yellow netting.
I love it when the netting yellows personally. It looks great on FRs.

Didn't people want that with those OW things lol

hope so, no gimmick neither

Knowing jb there will be one

No way they come back that soon without a gimmick.

I just can't see them releasing back-to-back bangers. They have to throw BS in between.

At least the “vintage” gimmick was kinda already done with the Blk/Metallic Off Whites. Other than adding the 23 on the side it would be interesting to see what gimmick they could possibly come up with on the next version.
Ya not sure what they can do that makes sense other than adding the 23 and giving them a better shape and tongue. But it’s Nike so who the F knows.
Regardless, if history is an indicator, these should be on deck sooner than later. Previous retros were what, 2007, 2011, 2016? We’re already in the window. I said 2–3 years, but won’t be surprised if it was even 2024. Or 2025 latest for the 35th anniversary.

Need Black Tongues (with the OG 23) and a proper Grape retro before I'm ready to see these again. I love the Black Metallics but we haven't even completed the full set yet when it comes to the current OG retros.
Since when has that ever mattered to what gets released, and why does it have to be mutually exclusive? There’s sometimes semi-logic like that to Nike/JB’s release timeline, and more oftentimes not. Fire red 3s and white/cements are dropping six months apart, as one example. On the other hand, look at how they’ve done the the 12s. Zero obvious rhyme or reason to that cadence. Then you look at the OG 4 drops: early 2016, mid 2019, late 2020. But still no military blues 🤷‍♂️
The only OG retro release cadence that’s been even remotely semi-logical/consistent for many years is the holiday XI.
And now that the white/red 12 is apparently dropping after, what, 14+ years, where the hell is the black-toe 14? It’s been nearly 8.5 years and nothing on the horizon as of now :smh:
Point is, to me, after five years has passed since an OG release, all bets are off with these fools. They bring back some stuff over and over every few years while leaving other classics nowhere to be seen. It’s maddening 🤣

Last edited:
Since when has that ever mattered to what gets released, and why does it have to be mutually exclusive? There’s sometimes semi-logic like that to Nike/JB’s release timeline, and more oftentimes not. Fire red 3s and white/cements are dropping six months apart, as one example. On the other hand, look at how they’ve done the the 12s. Zero obvious rhyme or reason to that cadence. Then you look at the OG 4 drops: early 2016, mid 2019, late 2020. But still no military blues 🤷‍♂️
The only OG retro release cadence that’s been even remotely semi-logical/consistent for many years is the holiday XI.
And now that the white/red 12 is apparently dropping after, what, 14+ years, where the hell is the black-toe 14? It’s been nearly 8.5 years and nothing on the horizon as of now :smh:
Point is, to me, after five years has passed since an OG release, all bets are off with these fools. They bring back some stuff over and over every few years while leaving other classics nowhere to be seen. It’s maddening 🤣
Fair enough fair enough. I honestly never really thought to like, quantify and properly acknowledge release years for some colorways but now that you mention it, just going based on a few OG colorways released as part of the remaster initiative to now:

Chicago I - 1985, 1995, 2003, 2010 (KO), 2013, 2015, 2022
Bordeaux VII - 1992, 2011, 2015
White Cement IV - 1989, 1999, 2012, 2016
Black Metallic V - 1990, 1999, 2006, 2011, 2016
Black Infrared VI - 1991, 2000, 2010, 2014, 2019

Very small sample size I'm aware, but the key point is that the years between current and previous releases usually ends up being between 4-5 years or more on average with some outliers here and there (i.e. Maroon VI rereleasing once since 1991). So yeah like you said, once it's been 5 years after a release, it's more than reasonable to expect to see a colorway return, which also certainly makes it odd and even frustrating when certain ones get thrown to the side for almost or even over a decade, like you mentioned.

Very small sample size I'm aware, but the key point is that the years between current and previous releases usually ends up being between 4-5 years or more on average with some outliers here and there (i.e. Maroon VI rereleasing once since 1991).
It’s puzzling to me that they do stuff like that. It just doesn’t make sense to go so long between releases for these og colorways. They’ve missed multiple generations of sneaker heads at this point for stuff like military blue 4s, sport blue 6s. The maroon 6s didn’t sell well because it had been like 25 years since they had released and it wasn’t an on court shoe. It would make sense to produce limited batches every ~10 years for those color ways just to keep them relevant.

But back to the 5s, they’re most likely coming back by 2025 based on history.

Fair enough fair enough. I honestly never really thought to like, quantify and properly acknowledge release years for some colorways but now that you mention it, just going based on a few OG colorways released as part of the remaster initiative to now:

Chicago I - 1985, 1995, 2003, 2010 (KO), 2013, 2015, 2022
Bordeaux VII - 1992, 2011, 2015
White Cement IV - 1989, 1999, 2012, 2016
Black Metallic V - 1990, 1999, 2006, 2011, 2016
Black Infrared VI - 1991, 2000, 2010, 2014, 2019

Very small sample size I'm aware, but the key point is that the years between current and previous releases usually ends up being between 4-5 years or more on average with some outliers here and there (i.e. Maroon VI rereleasing once since 1991). So yeah like you said, once it's been 5 years after a release, it's more than reasonable to expect to see a colorway return, which also certainly makes it odd and even frustrating when certain ones get thrown to the side for almost or even over a decade, like you mentioned.
I might be partially talking out of my *** but I think they want to slow down on the frequency of how often they release OG CWs. I remember reading one of the Jordan execs said something about how they want to correlate the releases to the anniversaries of his big moments. Not just drop them just to drop them. I believe that was the way it was said.

Now, none of that matters if they don't hit the sales goals or whatever they have in mind. We know they'll probably churn out the big CWs just as they always have in this case.

It does make me a little nervous for CWs like Maroon 6s or lesser known OGs. The casual base doesn't even really know some of those, so they may not drop those ones at all eventually. I could be way off though lol.

Last edited:
I might be partially talking out of my *** but I think they want to slow down on the frequency of how often they release OG CWs. I remember reading how one of the Jordan execs said something about how they want to correlate the releases to the anniversaries of his big moments. Not just drop them just to drop them. I believe that was the way it was said.

Now, none of that matters if they don't hit the sales goals or whatever they have in mind. We know they'll probably churn out the big CWs just as they always have in this case.

It does make me a little nervous for CWs like Maroon 6s or lesser known OGs. The casual base doesn't even really know some of those, so they may not drop those ones at all eventually. I could be way off though lol.
This is why I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Bred 1s yesterday…my dream shoe.

People tell me hey just wait 2 or 3 years and they’ll be back.

Who knows if that’s true or not. And if it is it’ll probably be the Bred 1 reimagineds, then the OGs a couple years after that. It’s why I’m considering paying resell for a double up on the 2018 Shadows. It might be another 5-7 years before those retro again.

The place is here.

…the time is NOW.🤘💪🙌

I might be partially talking out of my *** but I think they want to slow down on the frequency of how often they release OG CWs. I remember reading one of the Jordan execs said something about how they want to correlate the releases to the anniversaries of his big moments. Not just drop them just to drop them. I believe that was the way it was said.

That would make sense, at least the part about them dialing back the frequency of OG colorway releases. It feels like they're a bit more spread out, though they definitely will pile them on heavy as needed. In the case of the lesser known colorways like the Maroons and others MJ wore off court or for a catalog photo shoot at best, I don't think they'll NEVER return, but I don't think they'll return as frequently either. They'll just receive the White/Red 12 treatment where we don't see them again for a decade or more. It's because of this that I've been considering doubling up on certain releases not only due to a love for a shoe and respective colorway, but also because who knows when we'll see certain releases again?

That was said a year or two ago, but these people only commit to that strategy some of the time. What “big moment”/anniversary did the Chi 2 release honor? What will be the significance of releasing the white/red 12s later this year, 26 years and change after the OGs? Nothing. They can NEVER truly stick to any clear logic over at Nike and JB.

That was said a year or two ago, but these people only commit to that strategy some of the time. What “big moment”/anniversary did the Chi 2 release honor? What will be the significance of releasing the white/red 12s later this year, 26 years and change after the OGs? Nothing. They can NEVER truly stick to any clear logic over at Nike and JB.
Like I said I don't necessarily believe the 'plan' or whatever they had. It was probably just something they thought sounded good at the time lol.

I'm not worried about the big shoes. The 2s were never very popular and I'm sure that's why they waited this long. The 12s are definitely a mystery. That is a popular shoe.

I'm more worried that stuff like the Olive 9 will just fade away over time because hardly anyone but people like us know what they are anymore. The farther and farther we get removed from the actual era, I mean.

It's hard to tell though, something like the OG 11 low being done pretty well was a unexpected surprise.

Last edited:
This is why I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Bred 1s yesterday…my dream shoe.

Who knows if that’s true or not. And if it is it’ll probably be the Bred 1 reimagineds, then the OGs a couple years after that. It’s why I’m considering paying resell for a double up on the 2018 Shadows. It might be another 5-7 years before those retro again.

The place is here.

…the time is NOW.🤘💪🙌

Well now since you copped we all know they're for sure retroing.

The place is here.

…the time is NOW.🤘💪🙌
What happened to 20$ over my dead body for a pair of Fire Red 3s.

Those scumbags can rot in hell, yada, yada

Back
Top Bottom