Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

mom was hooking me up with Spalding's and la gears around that time.

With me it was a lot of skating shoes. I had different colors of Chucks for a few summers straight. Had a lot of Airwalks too. Might've had a pair of Vans in there somewhere. I think the most expensive pair my mom bought was some white Court Forces with a black Swoosh, and they were about $50. I did have a pair of OG black/red I's, and in later years I got a pair of black VII's at discount, but I had to pay for part of each of them. My V's and VI's I bought on my own.

I was a little too young in '90 to be able to remember it like you guys do. I didn't get interested in Jordans and sports in general until a couple years later -- bordeaux VIIs were my first pair. But the Metallic Vs have become my favorite over the years. It's such a beautiful, clean design.

I don't usually double up, but I might have to with these, since they're still available at reasonable prices. Has anyone ever ordered from Sole Supremacy? Are they recommended? I've heard they're legit but never bought from them before.

pain pain . That is a incredible story! I myself was 6 in 1990. I remember seeing Will Smith wearing the 5s on Fresh Prince and Kadeem Hardison wearing them on A Different World and thought the Black Metallic silver 5s were the coolest shoes on the planet. Even moreso when I went to the mall and saw them in stores. I thought they looked so futuristic and the reflective tongue was insane.

I ended up getting them for my 7th birthday, which was in April 1991. My grandma got them for me from Footlocker on sale, and took my to Pizza Hut that right afterwards. It was one of the best birthdays ever [emoji]128526[/emoji]

I wore those things until I couldn't possibly fit them anymore, which is when I was in third grade. By then, the soles were piss yellow and the mesh was yellowed too from so much wear.

I was 3 in 1990, but when these first retro'Ed in 2000, I fell in love with this colorway. This is the 2016 retro below, but I feel as though this shoe is a timeless design that will never go out of style. The Black/Metallic/red Jordan 5's is my ALL TIME FAVORITE JORDAN OF ALL TIME! The shoe screams early 90's. This just shows you how designers really took time and designed the shoe from the heart. I love this shoe!

View media item 2481856

I'll start with the shoes. Since you know SI, RyGuy, do you remember this?

A classmate of mine brought the Buster Douglas issue of SI to school in about mid February of '90, shortly after Iron Mike was rendered mortal, and the whole class freaked when they saw the above pic. This was the VERY FIRST public pic of the Jordan V. 
Remember? Hell yeah, I cut that page out of that SI and had it on my bedroom wall. It was part of a multi-page Nike ad for various products including, I believe, the Agassi Tech Challenge II. Also had pics of MJ and Agassi posing if I recall correctly. Great ad presentation. 

That wasn't the actual first FIRST look, though. That occurred on All-Star Saturday night--the same night Douglas knocked-out Tyson--when the Mike and Mars commercial debuted. I used to record those broadcasts just so I could go back and pause the Jordan commercial at various points so I could get a better look at the shoes than you could from watching them flash quickly on the screen if you only watched the commercial in real-time LOL

Good times, dudes, good times. 

Last edited:
pain pain great story my G. For me it was about the same thing. I had airwalks, some vans, and pair of street hikers....( remember those?) or whatever ma dukes was buying me. In 1990 i was in 6th grade and just got back from 6th grade camp. One of my classmates on the bus was wearing his blkmetallic5's all week in the muddy campgrounds. We all laughed.

I had a guy like that in the 3rd grade also. He always had the newest Jordan before anyone else did every year and know problem telling you about. I didn't like him either lol. More jealous than anything, mom was hooking me up with Spalding's and la gears around that time.

Massive respect to your ma for putting shoes on your feet

^ where's the photo of you rockin a mullet with them atscII qs' joints tho? :nerd:

Ask, and ye shall receive. LOL.

View media item 2482197
This was late August 1990. This is back in the days at 140 lbs., when I actually had abs, which I've been trying to get back in recent years, LOL.

Me and my buddy from back east that came out here to visit, along with one of my junior high classmates, climbed the local mountain that towered in back of Hammer's house. The mullet was still in its infancy here, but by '92 it was between my shoulder blades. Those are indeed Lava ATC II's on my feet right underneath my cuffed Bugle Boy jeans. The ATC's became my everyday beaters, and I actually still have them but the midsoles are obliterated. Don't remember what brand of shirt that was, but note the customary Chicago Bulls hat capping the mullet.

See, I was very fashion forward. I was rocking the skinny jean look over 20 years before everyone else thought it was popular. LMAO.

My only regret? That I haven't yet been able to find a picture to show you guys of me where I'm wearing a neon pink Maui & Sons shirt with neon green Gotcha shorts and the black/metallic V's. John Connor had the Public Enemy tee and army jacket. I had mis-matched neon. LOL.

Last edited:

This was late August 1990. This is back in the days at 140 lbs., when I actually had abs, which I've been trying to get back in recent years, LOL.

Me and my buddy from back east that came out here to visit, along with one of my junior high classmates, climbed the local mountain that towered in back of Hammer's house. The mullet was still in its infancy here, but by '92 it was between my shoulder blades. Those are indeed Lava ATC II's on my feet right underneath my cuffed Bugle Boy jeans. The ATC's became my everyday beaters, and I actually still have them but the midsoles are obliterated. Don't remember what brand of shirt that was, but note the customary Chicago Bulls hat capping the mullet.

See, I was very fashion forward. I was rocking the skinny jean look over 20 years before everyone else thought it was popular. LMAO.

My only regret? That I haven't yet been able to find a picture to show you guys of me where I'm wearing a neon pink Maui & Sons shirt with neon green Gotcha shorts and the black/metallic V's. John Connor rocked the Public Enemy tee and army jacket. I rocked mis-matched neon. LOL.
You look like you're about to give a thumbs up bro
laugh.gif

View media item 2482197

My only regret? That I haven't yet been able to find a picture to show you guys of me where I'm wearing a neon pink Maui & Sons shirt with neon green Gotcha shorts and the black/metallic V's. John Connor had the Public Enemy tee and army jacket. I had mis-matched neon. LOL.

Dope pic!!

I think he was referencing this one though :lol:

I did this 6 years ago to thank everyone for the support behind bringing back the Nike Air Trainer SC II

View media item 2482225

27 years
eek.gif

I still remember that time vividly. The best way to describe these shoes my way was absolute chaos. These were literally the status symbol of all symbols back then. Kids even had the white pairs and were spray painting them black. People were glued to TV's watchin Mike rocking these in the playoffs or nerding out when Will Smith had them on his show. We raced to the mailbox to grab S.I. each week hoping they had clear pics. News shows were telling us kids were getting murdered for 'em.

I still remember the Summer of '90 vividly. Rocking these Metallic 5s and hooping outside while the parked Jeeps, Suzuki Samurais, and the Acura Legends would be blasting Big DaddyKane out the trunk.  It still takes me back to that Summer every time I throw these on. Damn I miss the '90s. 

Here is a trip down memory lane and the summer of '90 Sports Illustrated spreads I was talking about earlier... old guys remember that it was a big deal to get your issue
laugh.gif
I had meant to get back to you guys on these nostalgia comments before I got caught up in the craziness around finding the suit the past 2 days. This particular suit is a BIG deal to me. Still don't have one in hand, yet.

Anyway, ahh, the spring/summer of 1990. One of my favorite times in my whole life. I got a taste of things on both coasts in 1990. I spent most of that summer in Baltimore, where I'm originally from. But I had moved to NorCal in late summer '89, and culturally it was a magical time to be in California. We of course had the famous earthquake. The A's and Niners won chips, and most of the CA sports teams were at least good. Arguably the greatest era of pro basketball was being played. The Great One was setting the ice on fire down south. Pretty much all the music was banging. The memories are so vivid. If you guys want to reminisce about 1990, I'm your guy. LOL.

I'll start with the shoes. Since you know SI, RyGuy, do you remember this?

A classmate of mine brought the Buster Douglas issue of SI to school in about mid February of '90, shortly after Iron Mike was rendered mortal, and the whole class freaked when they saw the above pic. This was the VERY FIRST public pic of the Jordan V. Kids broke their damn necks to get to the malls or sports shops when these started rolling out at the end of the month. This shoe was so far ahead of its time, the release was insanity. I was kind of screwed because I had just spent my Christmas money on a pair of Lava Tech Challenge II's literally 2 weekends before I saw this SI. My parents didn't buy me anything more expensive than Chucks or Airwalks, ever, so I had to start saving again from scratch. 4 months later, after the huge disappointment of MJ's Conference Final Game 7 fall, I was able to get the black V's the day after I flew back to Baltimore, and I spent the greatest summer of my life with the greatest V's of all glued to my feet. Even at the beach. LOL.

When I opened up that black and silver splattered box, I was surprised to find this inside:

This catalog would forever make me link this specific suit with these shoes, but literally everything in the catalog was a piece of heat. I must've spent countless hours that summer just looking through it, wishing I could afford everything in it. LOL. I never was able to get the suit while it was in stores. I had to settle for watching Will Smith wear it from afar on TV every week in the fall.

Anyway, pop culture from 1990 was pretty fun. Music was a big thing to junior high schoolers. The jeeps in Baltimore were blasting 2 Live Crew and Big Daddy Kane much like I imagine they were in NY, but the Hondas and Mustangs in Cali were bumping NWA, Ice-T, Too $hort, Digital Underground, and even still MC Hammer at that time. Hammer actually lived about a half mile up the hill from where I lived, and I ran into him out and about on occasion. Me and a group of my schoolmates used to play pickup basketball a couple times a week at a local elementary school with a few of his bodyguards. One looked like a really short version of Joe Montana, LOL. Anyway, the old '90 summer playlist had some classics that people tend to forget about. Me So Horny, C'mon Babe, U Can't Touch This, Ain't No Future In Yo Frontin', It Takes Two, Bust A Move, Poison, Pump Up The Jam, The Humpty Dance (and Freaks of the Industry), The Power, Funhouse (Kid 'n Play), My Hooptie, sheesh, I could go on. And how could I neglect to mention that Ice Ice Baby was beginning to explode in the summer of '90? Some of these videos were hilarious too. Baltimore had this channel called the Video Jukebox where you could call in and request your favorite music videos to play for like a buck or two. My friends and I stayed up all night watching it and recording stuff on VHS, LOL.

Hmm, what video games were we playing in 1990? Super Mario 3 was about the hottest thing on the planet at that point, and do you guys remember the kinda heavy handed Fred Savage 100 minute advertisement for SMB 3, a.k.a. The Wizard? LOL. Besides that, I was still playing Dragon Warrior, me and a few other RPG geek friends were grinding through Ultima 3 yet again on the NES, I had just discovered Shadowgate, and Final Fantasy hit the NES that July. The Genesis and Turbo Grafx 16 were also starting to gain momentum as the next generation of gaming, and Altered Beast, Phantasy Star II, The Legendary Axe, Keith Courage, and Blazing Lazers were popular on those platforms.

'90 had some entertaining flicks, too. By the end of that summer I had seen Tremors (several times), Back to the Future II and III, House Party, Total Recall, Gremlins 2, The Wizard, Arachnophobia, Robocop 2, The Exorcist III, and Flatliners (a sequel is actually coming up soon).

Last but not least, who could forget some of the most notable TV of '90? The Fresh Prince of Bel Air tops the list. I had to go SOMEWHERE to get my Nike and Jordan fix. Besides that, there was also The Cosby Show, A Different World, 21 Jump Street, The Wonder Years, Doogie Howser, and Beverly Hills 90210. Both In Living Color and Twin Peaks started that year. Freddy's Nightmares and Friday the 13th (the show) haunted my screen late at night every weekend after episodes of Saturday Night's Main Event. I bet you guys don't even remember Parker Lewis Can't Lose. And I swear, you guys should've given Cop Rock a chance. LOL, maybe not.

I'm curious about how many of you are going to be burning up Wikipedia after you read this. LOL.

Anyway, that's my nostalgic, big haired, baseball capped, mullet wearing, neon soaked, not so short trip down 1990 memory lane. If that can't get you in a 1990 loving mood, I don't know what will. LOL.
THIS is what NT is about!!!

This is truly the best AJ ever.

Unfortunately, I don't have memories of actually owning the OGs. I was blown away by seeing MJ wearing them during the playoffs. The SI ad, and the Mars V commercial that I had taped and watched over and over and over in slow motion only added gas to my obsessive fire for them.

They were so ahead of their time, the tongue was the perfect way to display the "Jordan logo" as I called it then. And that sole, what WAS that I thought? NOTHING looked like this shoe and nothing looked as good.

So my dad brought me to a local sporting goods store, and there they were. But not in my size, we went to a few other stores, same thing. Last store we went to didn't have them, but wait, they had the Wht/Blk-Fr Reds in my dad's size 12 AND they were on sale. Yay for him. 
tired.gif

BUT since I actually needed shoes for the upcoming school year, I ended up with.......

....the Fire Red 4s. I don't mean to sound ungrateful and I never said it outloud but honestly, I hated them. They looked so dated. The design was such a step back from the Vs which I was so close to getting that I might as well have been wearing Swedish wooden clogs. I think my feet hated them too because I outgrew them really quickly. 

Last edited:
My dad brought me to a local sporting goods store, and there they were. But not in my size, we went to a few other stores, same thing. Last store we went to didn't have them, but wait, they had them the Wht/Blk-Fr Red in my dad's size 12 AND they were on sale. Yay for him. |I

Dad was stylin' tho :lol:

i missed out on the og 4...long story :smh:
i had the 3, 5, 6 & 8 ogs

i will say again that imo - the 6 was a step down from the 5 in terms of progression and the 7 wasn't even close
thats why the aj line peaked with the 5 in my humble opinion...i think we (the aj5 fans) have discussed this in here before...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom