Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

Coincidentally, 26 years ago today is when I bought my first pair of black/metallic Vs. I still have that pair, but they've seen better days:

I also have a DS pair of OGs. Up until I moved a couple months ago both soles on both OG pairs were still intact. They were in boxes on top of a stack that fell over, and the soles obliterated on impact. Even when you take impeccable care in storing them, time does not forgive polyurethane:

I was in a "pic mood" and snapped a few pics of one of my Y2K pairs with different apparel. This one is with my favorite of the warm up jackets:

One with the 2012 Retro Archive warm up suit:

One with the only t-shirt Nike released alongside the Y2K Retros:

One with the OG white "5 Jumpman" sweatshirt:

One with the OG black "5 Jumpman" sweatshirt:

This one is with a black/white warm up jacket that released alongside the first Grape Retros in 2006. The jacket is heavy but not the OG nylon material and didn't release with any matching pants, but I found two different pairs of Jordan warm up pants a few years later that matched it well:

Here are some of the OG brochures and trading card sets that I still have. The little Jumpman tag opens up to show a quick explanation of what Durabuck and its benefits are:
The metallic 5's were the first Jordans I had ever seen and  also the pair my parents refused to buy me in High School back in '90 because I had just gotten a pair of all black Flight '90's.  Now those things were HEAVY.  Loving that crinkle nylon jacket, I remember seeing that at Foot Locker back then.  If only I had been old enough to have a job and my own $$.  Still my grails.

Yezzir.. These been at the top of my list. I've still been grabbing the other mentioned releases, but it's been a long time comin for a good BM5 retro w/ NA.

Agreed. The V's also give a nostalgic factor as well. Which has been mentioned by many. Space Jams not so much for us old folks.

Last edited:
The metallic 5's were the first Jordans I had ever seen and  also the pair my parents refused to buy me in High School back in '90 because I had just gotten a pair of all black Flight '90's.  Now those things were HEAVY.  Loving that crinkle nylon jacket, I remember seeing that at Foot Locker back then.  If only I had been old enough to have a job and my own $$.  Still my grails.

My story's kind of similar. The last weekend of January 1990 I had JUST bought a pair of Hot Lava ATC IIs with some leftover Christmas, birthday, and good report card money.

Around 2 weeks later a classmate brought a Sports Illustrated in with the first print ad for the black/metallic Vs. Kids FLIPPED their lids over these Vs. I totally KICKED myself. Don't get me wrong, the ATCs were and are on the level of my all-time favorites, but the Vs were beyond anything we had ever seen before. In February 1990, they were YEARS ahead of their time.

They trickled out to stores soon after and from what I heard it was practically hysteria every time stores got a shipment. Those were the days when stores got multiple shipments throughout the season. You kind of had to be in the right place at the right time.

Anyway, I mowed lawns and saved and saved chore money (and a little leftover lunch money, LOL) and finally got my pair 4 months after they released. Just in time for summer.

My parents, who were used to getting me $20 Airwalks or Chucks once a year, were not happy that I bought not one but TWO pairs of $100+ sneakers in a season, but hey, it wasn't their money. LOL.

pain pain
Dayaaam you doubled up back then? That's st8 up G status. U still have the V's from back then? Anyways I enjoyed your story

pain pain
Dayaaam you doubled up back then? That's st8 up G status. U still have the V's from back then? Anyways I enjoyed your story

In '90 I bought 1 pair of ATC IIs and 1 pair of black Vs. Many years later, in '01 or '02 I bought a second pair of OG black Vs off eBay that were still DS. I do still have both pairs of OG Vs but the soles on both obliterated when I stacked them on a high pile of boxes during my recent move, and they fell over. It was like a 6 foot fall but it may as well have been 600 the way they disintegrated.

Last edited:
Don't know if question has been answered, but does it come with Nike Air hangtag or Jumpman like White Cement 4?

Does 2016 pair even come with a hangtag? lol.

J
My story's kind of similar. The last weekend of January 1990 I had JUST bought a pair of Hot Lava ATC IIs with some leftover Christmas, birthday, and good report card money.

Around 2 weeks later a classmate brought a Sports Illustrated in with the first print ad for the black/metallic Vs. Kids FLIPPED their lids over these Vs. I totally KICKED myself. Don't get me wrong, the ATCs were and are on the level of my all-time favorites, but the Vs were beyond anything we had ever seen before. In February 1990, they were YEARS ahead of their time.

They trickled out to stores soon after and from what I heard it was practically hysteria every time stores got a shipment. Those were the days when stores got multiple shipments throughout the season. You kind of had to be in the right place at the right time.

Anyway, I mowed lawns and saved and saved chore money (and a little leftover lunch money, LOL) and finally got my pair 4 months after they released. Just in time for summer.

My parents, who were used to getting me $20 Airwalks or Chucks once a year, were not happy that I bought not one but TWO pairs of $100+ sneakers in a season, but hey, it wasn't their money. LOL.

I too had a sentimental connection with this shoe. I was in the first grade in 1990-91, and the metallic 5s were the first air Jordans that ever caught my eye. When i saw them on will smith on fresh prince of bel air and kadeem hardison on a different world, i thought they looked so futuristic. the transparent mesh, ice sole, and of course that 3m reflective tongue really made me obsessed with the shoe. so fast foward to my 7th birthday (4/20/91), and my grandmother came to my house to pick me up. somehow i managed to convince her to get me the metallic 5s for my birthday (probably because they were on sale then). she took my pizza hut and got me a basketball too :smokin i wore those 5s until i outgrew them, and by then the sole was amber brown and the mesh on the side started yellowing. i also remember being the first pair of shoes i ever cleaned after wearing them because i wanted to preserve them

In '90 I bought 1 pair of ATC IIs and 1 pair of black Vs. Many years later, in '01 or '02 I bought a second pair of OG black Vs off eBay that were still DS. I do still have both pairs of OG Vs but the soles on both obliterated when I stacked them on a high pile of boxes during my recent move, and they fell over. It was like a 6 foot fall but it may as well have been 600 the way they disintegrated.
:x
Man that sucks. Loved your story tho.

no hangtag

Figures. OG IVs were always more known for coming with the thick rubber orange/clear Nike Air tags. Earlier Retro IVs had the really thin plastic ones. I seem to remember SOME of the OG Vs coming with the thicker orange tags, and some came with small Jumpman tags that had info on Durabuck. I think my second pair of OG Vs came with the Durabuck tag. Both OG pairs came with a Flight 1990 Collection brochure, one was Spring and one was Fall.

Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask. Do any of you OGs who were around in 1990 recall a clear Nike basketball that was released about the same time as the original AJ Vs? It was definitely a translucent basketball, possibly made of clear polyurethane on the outside, and I believe it had a black Jumpman visible within it, very similar to what the soles of the Vs look like. I've looked on eBay and have yet to find one. Ever. I can't even find pictures of one just searching on the Net. Does anyone else remember this? Or am I crazy?

Last edited:
J
I too had a sentimental connection with this shoe. I was in the first grade in 1990-91, and the metallic 5s were the first air Jordans that ever caught my eye. When i saw them on will smith on fresh prince of bel air and kadeem hardison on a different world, i thought they looked so futuristic. the transparent mesh, ice sole, and of course that 3m reflective tongue really made me obsessed with the shoe. so fast foward to my 7th birthday (4/20/91), and my grandmother came to my house to pick me up. somehow i managed to convince her to get me the metallic 5s for my birthday (probably because they were on sale then). she took my pizza hut and got me a basketball too :smokin i wore those 5s until i outgrew them, and by then the sole was amber brown and the mesh on the side started yellowing. i also remember being the first pair of shoes i ever cleaned after wearing them because i wanted to preserve them

I was close to finishing up the 3rd grade school year when the word started to spread about the V. At 8 years old, I didn't know them as Vs, IV's or IIIs, just as an Air Jordan. But a classmate of mine told me of the V(we had the IV's at the time) that there was air in the bottom of the new air jordan. I was thinking at the time "whoah, that sounds awesome". When I got the Fire Red V(reflective tongue) for Christmas later that year, I realized that he thought the clear soles contained air, which as 8-9 year olds that was believable.

I was close to finishing up the 3rd grade school year when the word started to spread about the V. At 8 years old, I didn't know them as Vs, IV's or IIIs, just as an Air Jordan. But a classmate of mine told me of the V(we had the IV's at the time) that there was air in the bottom of the new air jordan. I was thinking at the time "whoah, that sounds awesome". When I got the Fire Red V(reflective tongue) for Christmas later that year, I realized that he thought the clear soles contained air, which as 8-9 year olds that was believable.
I was in the 8th grade when the Vs released, but I still believed that Air Soles could make you jump higher. LOL.

J

Great stories. These will always be my all time favorite shoe. The III's were the first J to ever catch my eye but my moms was too poor to buy me $100+ shoes. The next year the IV's came out and I wanted a pair. once again moms just couldn't afford the shoes. Being a single mom on welfare with 5 sons to feed didn't leave much money for anything else. So I was in 7th grade now and the new Air Jordan's were coming out, when I first seen the Black metallic V's in the Nike commercial with Mars and MJ I was in love and had to have them. So I came up with a plan. I told my mom that I really wanted these shoes and that they're very expensive but if she got them for me she didn't have to get me anything else for the whole year, meaning I would cash in my birthday gift my Christmas presents etc for a pair of these shoes. She just looked at me and said really? And I was like hell yeah! Lol
My mom and my grandmother split the cost of the shoes and Black metallic V's became my first pair of J's and my favorite shoe as soon as I opened that box. They only lasted for 1 year, I beat the crap out of them, after all they were my only pair of shoes. They pretty much fell apart :lol: but to this day I still have a pic I took of them and one lace lock. So these are very sentimental too me and will always be my favorite.

Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask. Do any of you OGs who were around in 1990 recall a clear Nike basketball that was released about the same time as the original AJ Vs? It was definitely a translucent basketball, possibly made of clear polyurethane on the outside, and I believe it had a black Jumpman visible within it, very similar to what the soles of the Vs look like. I've looked on eBay and have yet to find one. Ever. I can't even find pictures of one just searching on the Net. Does anyone else remember this? Or am I crazy?
Nike didn't make basketballs back then.

since we are telling stores- this is about the jordan 11 concord when it first came out in '96. anyways i was in the 4th grade and my friend Bill had them. He showed me the icy sole and i was like whoa! I was convinced they were air filled LOL. he was like nah and jabbed a paperclip deep into that brand new icy sole. I was like this kid is cray just to prove a point LOL. anyways ill always remember that OG day. i Myself didnt get my 1st pair until 7th grade summer and they were the Last shot 14's. which i still have

I remember my friend showed up with the Concords in PE class before any of us saw them or even knew they were the new Jordans. He got us like that with the steel tens a year before too. I remember his had the toe cap. Anyway, the way he was stopping and cutting on that dusty Jr High gym floor had us dumbfounded. We were convinced they had some sort of sticky rubber on them. The patent leather was an afterthought when it came to that sole.

Last edited:
Nike didn't make basketballs back then.

Could it have been a Nike/Wilson collab that used the Jumpman? Or a Wilson collab with Jordan himself? Or just a special one-off from Nike? I know for a fact Wilson was making specific Jordan branded basketballs from the late 80s into the 90s; the line was called Air Attack and it definitely had Jordan's name stamped on it. I still have one of the black/red Air Attack balls. But I swear there was a clear basketball that had the Jumpman visible in it, and it was available around the time the Vs were on the market. Could have been Spring, Summer, or Fall of 1990. It's driving me crazy that I can't at least find ONE PIC. LOL. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine it. I remember playing school yard basketball with one at some point.

Back
Top Bottom