Nike Air 180 OG

Champs brand used to be my go-to, but they discontinued it. Took me a couple of years of testing different brands out, but I eventually started using the Sof Sole brand with the blue cap. Only places I've found it consistently are FNL and Richard's. Only downside is you gotta use 2 coats for it to work well.

Screenshot_20240606-171942.png

Yeah, I just ran out of that; it was also my go-to for years. When hunting for that I came across the one I posted above. That's one of the OG brands for stuff like this so I feel comfortable with it. They all require 2 coats; at least the ones I've used. I think the newer sneaker related brands are all BS and overpriced.

Yeah, I just ran out of that; it was also my go-to for years. When hunting for that I came across the one I posted above. That's one of the OG brands for stuff like this so I feel comfortable with it. They all require 2 coats; at least the ones I've used. I think the newer sneaker related brands are all BS and overpriced.

I tried that kiwi and always found that it went on a little funny. Almost oily. I was just used to the Champs/FTL brand going on in 1 coat and lasting for yeeeears. My 1999 AJ4's still bead up and that was 1 coat 25 years ago. :lol:

after I bought my 180s I bought a can of crept protect because my last one went empty… of course we start talking about this in here now

I had 2 OG pairs back in the day, UMs and later the orange ones. After those I never had a model that was so insanely damn good.

As someone stated, 180s were revolutionary when they came out. And I experienced them as such. And the fact that they were only around for appr 1-1.5 years made them even more iconic in hindsight.

When rumors on the 05 retros surfaced I was very happy because back then retros were still pretty decent (f.e. 93s until then still had big bubbles, AM90 retros were pretty good). Until the first leaks surfaced, and well I've told that story so many times. They were beyond HIDEOUS. Yes they were really really really bad. They just totally s********** them over. And they didn't improve a single millimeter with the later releases. With that Fonzy Bear cw as all time low. And so many clowns drooling over those :rofl::sick::smh:

So when the 24s were announced, I was interested but again prepared for the worst as Nike had created a huge challenge for themselves.

So what annoys me the most on this release?

The whole midsole/bubble construction was basically THE MAIN feature of the original release. And after all those years (and the slick talk in the announcements) they still managed to f*********** that part up, ONCE AGAIN. What's the point of doing so....... It's like retroing Huaraches w/o the sockliner.

If they had done that part like 99.5% perfect, maybe I would have taken other flaws for granted. Maybe.

* grumpy old man signing out * :smokin:tongue:

Well, you can’t say the air bubbles not there unlike a missing sock liner. So what’s actually wrong with the midsole for you?

The outer cage is intact, the air bag is large and the windows on the side show just as much “air” as the original.

Aside from the white area visible at the bottom, likely paint or perhaps adhesive, what are we missing?

What's missing? Details. Refinement. Finesse. All things the OG did have. Inventivity, boldness and guts. That shoe was bad-*** all the way. In the way the sole was transparent like glass. In the way it curved all the way 'up' into the airbag, even the solar red parts of the sole curved way in. That reliëf was never seen before! In the 24 retro it's just...flat? The fact that the ultramarine color is just off? Wouldn't be that hard to make it some hues darker, right? I know, it's nitpicking, but that's what we do. That's just pure love for the 180. It's in the details, and for some enthusiasts that's all that counts. I get it, and I understand the frustration modus47 modus47 has with this release. I'm just glad I'm not thát principal in my decisions 😄👏 I think we have to come to terms that it is still a 'retro' and not the original. It will never be. And although that's a shame, I'm really glad they made this 24 retro and didn't come up with an easy re-release of the <2018 models!

lol you're lifespan aint even long enough to wear them all :lol:
I hope I will live a little bit longer, I have 2 pair in use by now: a pair for daily use and a pair for the gym. Knowing myself I will get a fresh pair out of the box after a couple of years and then I only have 1 pair ds left... The same thing I do with the AM III's infrared, I think I have used 4 pairs since the release in 2020. Just feels good for me to get a fresh pair of shoes if I want to.

Last edited:
Anyone else got a slight popping sound when walking tho?

Also, I know these are truer to the OG but I kinda miss the oversized tongue.

Yes, the popping sound has been discussed many times in this thread. For me personally, there was popping for the first 100 steps or so, then it went away.

And helllllllllllllllllllll no....we don't miss that terrible long, unnecessary tongue. :sick: :smh:

Got em on foot tonight. Comfy enough for me!

IMG_2293.jpeg

Anyone else got a slight popping sound when walking tho?

Also, I know these are truer to the OG but I kinda miss the oversized tongue.

Yes, the popping sound has been discussed many times in this thread. For me personally, there was popping for the first 100 steps or so, then it went away.

And helllllllllllllllllllll no....we don't miss that terrible long, unnecessary tongue. :sick: :smh:

What 1978 said. It'll go away with wear. Had mine on for a good chunk of today and they're all good.

Back
Top Bottom