[[ NEW YORK METS 2009 OFFSEASON POST: Beltran ahead of schedule ]]

The problem is management.
The Wilpon's are idiots.
Mets will continue the suckage until things change.

lol at Castillo's "resurgence".
He's back to his mediocre ways.

lol at Perez showing any signs.You paid for a straight up bum Minaya. Straight up mind boggling signing.
He'll pitch 1 good game and then blow 4.

Perez will pitch big against good teams, and then crap the bed when it comes to the 2nd division squads.

Roy Halladay puts butts in the seats, and from a business standpoint, the Mets need that bad because the attendance at Citi can't be too good. They are alost cause this year, and you obviously can't listen to programs like ESPN about them because they payroll means nothing when they have had the number ofinjuries they have. The payroll of the squad playing is at Florida Marlin level.

Anyway, the Mets will stay quiet and whatever that drama was I heard about Halladay this morning was obviously nothing. Why would he want to come here anyway?That would be a horizontal move for him and us.

How bout Jack Wilson at 2nd? I know he's a shortstop, but with Reyes and his injuries Wilson could be a good pickup in my opinion. Tough player.

And Castillo really has had a bounceback year, but Met fans will only remember him for the long contract we gave him and the drop against the Yankees. Dudecould win a batting title and he would still be crucified.

Originally Posted by bobby1109

Refresh my memory, did the Mets pass on Vlad the same year they signed Beltran?
Nope.
Vlad was the year before.

The Mets would like to believe the same, although they still will have other options if their run at Beltran falls short. They remain one of three teams - with Baltimore and Boston - that are interested in free-agent first baseman Carlos Delgado. Another Boras client, White Sox outfielder Magglio Ordonez, also remains a free agent after an injury-shortened season in Chicago. And Minaya has held trade discussions this winter for big-name, big-ticket outfielders such as Sammy Sosa and Manny Ramirez, so there is there little doubt the Mets are serious about adding at least one power bat to their lineup.

Minaya's aggressiveness is a vast departure from past offseasons, when Fred Wilpon's team backed off on Alex Rodriguez, another Boras client who eventually signed a landmark 10-year deal with Texas, and Vladimir Guerrero, who went on to cop AL MVP honors last season with Anaheim.

Whether the Mets ultimately will offer enough to Beltran to beat the Yankees at their own game will play itself out in the coming days. But it should make for some interesting theater this week in a town that already has added some of baseball's biggest names this winter.

I don't want to see any trades right now.

Suck it up for the rest of the season and get to work in the offseason....

ATFK's "To Do List" for the offseason:
  1. Fire Minaya
  2. Get Manuel and Bernazard out of here
  3. tell the medical staff to get lost
  4. drop Delgado
  5. trade Reyes & Beltran for as many prospects as you can
  6. build the team around Santana and Wright
  7. build up the farm system
  8. stay away from high priced over-the-hill free agents

Vlad did have a history of back problems.

They could have gotten A-Rod but Texas gave him a ridiculous contract.

Trade Reyes and Beltran, you kidding me dude?

He is hitting .290 with a good obp, don't let your hate for him blind you to the fact that he's had a good year this season (mainly because of noinjuries so far).

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

1. Fire Minaya
  4. drop Delgado
Other than number 5, pretty good list.

Oh, and here's something that just came in...
indifferent.gif

Updated: July 22, 2009, 10:56 AM ET

[h2]Report: Bernazard unleashes tirade
[/h2]

A New York Mets executive recently challenged one of club's minor league teams to a fight during a postgame clubhouse tirade, the New York Daily News reported, citing multiple sources with ties to the team.

mlb_a_berzanard1_200.jpg

AP Photo/Rick SilvaMets executive Tony Bernazard reportedly challenged the club's Double-A minor league team to fight him during a recent postgame tirade.

Tony Bernazard, the team's vice president for player development, pulled off his shirt and challenged the Double-A Binghamton Mets in the tirade, about 10 days before the All-Star break. He in particular targeted middle infield prospect Jose Coronado, according to the report.

Binghamton had gone 1-6 during an early July homestand that coincided with the outburst, losing three of those games by at least seven runs. The team was 37-58 and in last place in the Eastern League Northern Division entering Wednesday's scheduled games.

Allegations of underage drinking on the team were apparently another motivation for Bernazard's tirade, an organization source said, according to the report.

"It's ridiculous that anyone in a professional baseball environment thinks it's acceptable," a friend of several players said, according to the report.

Mets GM Omar Minaya said Bernazard spoke to the minor-league team in a "stern voice," but said he had no knowledge of the particulars.

"I know he did have a team meeting with them," Minaya said, according to the Daily News. "It was not a 'you-guys-have-been-great meeting.' I know he spoke to them in a stern voice. But as far as what he was wearing, what kind of shoes he was wearing, I don't know anything about that."

It's the second report in two days of startling behavior by Bernazard, 52, who has been fingered in the media as a key influence behind the firings of manager Willie Randolph and pitching coach Rick Peterson last season.

Tuesday, the Daily News reported that at a recent game at Citi Field, Bernazard, who wanted a seat behind home plate that was occupied by an Arizona Diamondbacks scout, unleashed a profanity-laced tirade against a subordinate who suggested the wait until the half-inning was over to take the seat.

It has not been a good season on the field for the Mets' top farm teams. The Mets' top affiliate, the Triple-A Buffalo Bisons, were an International League-worst 34-58 entering Wednesday's games.

indifferent.gif

SMH.

I'm open to trading Reyes but I would at least want him to play to get his stock back up.

And Beltran {} self is always hurt.

Fire that +*$%#!@ scumbag. He's a lowlife.

And onto that Petersen thing you brought up, Shuges, I can't agree with it more. Petersen is a top 5 pitching coach. You don't fire those people.

Ehhh....Peterson is over-rated, the pitchers got tired of him and he threw guys under the bus.

I was just about to post that SHUGES.

All I envision is Stan's dad from south park during the little league episode.

Couple of things.

1. Adam Laroche was just dealt to the Red Sox so we can forget him as our Todd Zeile for first base.

2. the Mets are "investigating" the report made on Bernazard

Originally Posted by Mez 0ne

He is hitting .290 with a good obp, don't let your hate for him blind you to the fact that he's had a good year this season (mainly because of no injuries so far).

I guess we should thank him for all those useless singles on a team that can't hit HR's. He's easily replaceable. I'd rather havea 2nd baseman who hits .260 but slugs .360-.380.
He's not the biggest scrub on this team so teams rather pitch to the real scrubs. Hence, his OBP.

Originally Posted by SHUGES

Originally Posted by AddictedToFreshKicks

1. Fire Minaya
  4. drop Delgado
Other than number 5, pretty good list.
I don't agree with trading Beltran but I wouldn't be against trading Reyes.
Reyes feels like one of these players who has amazing abilities but is either injured too often or does not utilize all of his abilities when he is healthy.

The problem is even with how iffy Reyes is I doubt the Mets could even get an equal SS in reutrn.

Okay, here is the last few posts on METSBLOG.com about Bernazard

Update, 3:27 pm:

SNY will air video of Minaya's press conference at 4:15 pm, i.e., as soon as it is fed back to their New York studio's from DC.

Update, 3:07 pm:

…from what i can gather, minaya will speak with reporters from the clubhouse in Nationals Park, starting at around 3:30 pm… you know what i'm saying…

Update, 2:53 pm:

David Lennon of Newsday explains why Minaya may be working to keep Bernazard from being fired.

…the worst part of lennon's report is that he's referred to as, 'Shirtless Mets VP,' which is sad and hilarious at the same time…

Update, 2:38 pm:

In a post to Twitter, Yankees reporter Peter Abraham of the Journal News jokingly writes, "If you don't read my blog I'll have Tony Bernazard kickall your $+*@@. And he can do it."

…lovely… just lovely…

Omar Minaya will speak with reporters today at 3:30 pm.

Original Post, 2:00 pm:

The Mets issued the following statement, in regards to Adam Rubin's report about Tony Bernazard in today's Daily News:

"We take these reports seriously and are investigating the matter."

…this is getting out of hand, it seems…

…here's the thing, you'd think it would be Omar Minaya's decision to fire bernazard, assuming he should go… however, from what people are saying,bernazard and Jeff Wilpon have a pretty strong relationship these days, or, that is, at least stronger than wilpon's connection to minaya… the thing is,minaya is supposed to be the GM, he's supposed to be the leader… i will be interested to see how this all plays out, as it should give a clue in to thefuture direction of this team…

…in the end, i don't know who is undermining whom, or who has what motives and why, but i do know this is obnoxious… really, it is… if i wanted to watch asoap opera i'd put on Days of our Lives…

…come on, guys, get it together…and play better baseball, too…

Reyes would be a leadoff guy on every single team in baseball, open to trading him?

The guy is instant offense, yes he's streaky but he is not even in his prime years yet.

We've been brutal without a true leadoff guy.

But aside from all that, it starts from the top. It feels like yesterday when Armando Benitez was giving haircuts in the clubhouse during games.

Seriously all this behind the scenes crap is +!@#*%!% and it's hurting the Mets. I'm really starting to hate the Wilpons and hoping they have to sellthis team.

You guys are buggin with trading Reyes and Tron

Do you realize as Reyes goes we go? he is our spark, our offense runs thru him (literally).

Beltran is as consistent as it gets for his whole career. Dude gets it done in the field and with the bat.

Just because this year is just about over barring a Phillie-esque comeback, don't start making ridiculous comments now
eyes.gif

Losing Pedro and Duque hurt for the playoffs that year but its time to look foward and not backwards.

Adding another solid reliable starter gives us a very good rotation next season (moving the other guys down a spot), keep getting younger and the Mets willhave their opportunities.

FYI...Franceour is perfect for this town, hope this change of scenery works out for him (he has already done more than church has this season in terms ofdriving in runs).

Back
Top Bottom