New Sacramento Arena Thread - UPDATE - NBA/MALOOFS/SACRAMENTO REACH DEAL FOR A NEW ARENA!!!

Figured id make a post about it since the March 6th vote is coming up that will determine whether they stay or leave. Everything seems positive according to latest reports. It seems the city has done it's part and the ball is now in the Maloofs court. If this doesn't happen, it's because the Maloofs can't afford it which should then put pressure on them to sell to the billionaire Burkle who is interested in buying the team and has said will do what he can to keep them in Sacramento.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Source: Maloof contribution focus of Sacramento arena talks[/h2]Bee story from Ryan Lillis
http://blogs.sacbee.com/city-beat/20...ena-talks.html

ORLANDO, Fla. - As negotiations get underway over how to fund a new downtown sports arena, the focus of today's talks is the contribution to the project by the Maloof family, which owns the Sacramento Kings.

City officials have asked the Maloofs to contribute between $70 million and $90 million toward the project, according to a source briefed on the negotiations who was not authorized to speak because the talks are ongoing. The source indicated that all other major issues with the arena financing plan have been addressed.

It is not clear how far apart - if at all - the Maloofs and the city are in terms of the Kings' contribution to the $387 million project. But sources expressed confidence that the sides were within a "solvable" distance.

The Maloofs have reportedly been asked to provide upfront lease payments to the arena, as well as provide an estimated $25 million in land they own around Power Balance Pavilion.

Talks were scheduled to take place today from noon until 2 p.m. Eastern Time. Involved in those talks are City Manager John Shirey; Assistant City Manager John Dangberg; the city's arena consultant, Dan Barrett; Kunal Merchant, the chief of staff to Mayor Kevin Johnson; and attorney Paul Jacobs.

Executives with the NBA are also in attendance.

More informal talks are expected to continue throughout the day.

More intense talks are scheduled for tomorrow that are expected to involve the mayor and NBA Commissioner David Stern. Stern is scheduled to address the media tonight during his annual NBA All-Star Game press conference.

Like I said, the Maloofs have to step up now.

Lookin' good
pimp.gif

They should just pack it up and go to Seattle, you guys already have the Warriors. Sacramento makes no sense from a regional and business point of view. Do you guys honestly believe you should have a team?

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

They should just pack it up and go to Seattle, you guys already have the Warriors. Sacramento makes no sense from a regional and business point of view. Do you guys honestly believe you should have a team?

Sacramento has the Warriors? Go take a geography class champ...

I hope the Kings stay. I root for the Kings since your future all star PG for the next 15 years is Lil Zeke 
57616613968069c4526530034b31e0485657112f.gif

*Patiently waits until the NO Hornets fold up shop and move North*

eyes.gif
Driving distance between Sac-town and San Fran/ Oakland is roundabout 90 miles (1 hr 30 min without traffic)

It never made sense for the Kings to move to Seattle. The Maloofs weren't going to sell, the guy who wants to build an arena said owning a team is the only way he'll go through with building an arena. The Hornets are the perfect candidate: little history, already moved once, bad market.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Oh, well excuse me buddy. Here's the geography lesson you so desperately need, Sacramento is 80 miles away from Oakland. No other geographical region in the NBA has two teams that close to each other in the same state besides, L.A. New York will be next (Brooklyn Nets) but evidently it makes sense that L.A. & New York have two teams because of the amount of people and economics in the area. 
Sacramento is pushing what? 450,000 people? Where is the sense in all of this? Look at your avy, your a 49ers fan. Just be glad their called the Golden State Warriors and not the Oakland/San Francisco Warriors. Sacramento brings nothing promising to the NBA financially, what so ever. Ship them to Seattle.
Am I not making sense? Am I not making any valid points?

Originally Posted by krazy88s

eyes.gif
Driving distance between Sac-town and San Fran/ Oakland is roundabout 90 miles (1 hr 30 min without traffic)

Not that I agree with them moving, but a lot of teams' fans have to drive 1 hr 30 min to see their favorite team play. (ie. people in Illinois that live 90 miles out of Chicago, people in Wisconsin that live 90 miles out of Milwaukee, etc.)

Originally Posted by JPZx

eyes.gif

Not that I agree with them moving, but a lot of teams' fans have to drive 1 hr 30 min to see their favorite team play. (ie. people in Illinois that live 90 miles out of Chicago, people in Wisconsin that live 90 miles out of Milwaukee, etc.)
Exactly

Oakland and San Fran are like 10 miles apart yet have different baseball and football franchises.
Moreover Sac has larger metropolitan populations than Orlando, San Antonio, New Orleans etc. Wouldn't it make sense for one of those teams to move?

Originally Posted by JPZx

eyes.gif
Exactly
Ok fine, Kings should move. I give up. No more sending letters to city council members or attending their meetings. I give up because I should conform. 

No Kings belong in Sacramento and not in Seattle or Anaheim.

The one team that needs a new owner & needs to relocate to Seattle is the New Orleans Hornets.

After the whole fiasco with Stern blocking the CP3 trade to the Lakers because the Hornets are league owned and the other owners in the league had a say on vetoing that trade the right thing for the Hornets is a new owner & new city & arena.

All which Seattle already has in the works.

Anyways, at this point its more expensive for the Maloofs to pay up in relocation fees and what not than to stay. Financially it makes sense for them to stay in Sac.  
David Stern: “The Maloofs have stepped up. The city has stepped up. We’re having very intense conversations. I’m most impressed by both sides. We’re going to see if we can bridge both gaps. I think both sides deserve it, particularly the city of Sacramento.

Sacramento has terrible fans, this arena will be a waste of time and money when its all said and done.

Originally Posted by Zyzz

Sacramento has terrible fans, this arena will be a waste of time and money when its all said and done.

I'd rather regret having done something than not doing anything at all.... and I really mean that. 
If it fails, it fails. But I don't want to just lie down and die.

Oh, well excuse me buddy. Here's the geography lesson you so desperately need, Sacramento is 80 miles away from Oakland. No other geographical region in the NBA has two teams that close to each other in the same state besides, L.A. New York will be next (Brooklyn Nets) but evidently it makes sense that L.A. & New York have two teams because of the amount of people and economics in the area. 
Sacramento is pushing what? 450,000 people? Where is the sense in all of this? Look at your avy, your a 49ers fan. Just be glad their called the Golden State Warriors and not the Oakland/San Francisco Warriors. Sacramento brings nothing promising to the NBA financially, what so ever. Ship them to Seattle.
You don't really know the area though. Sacramento County is 1.5 million deep. And then there are outlying counties like El Dorado, Placer, Yolo, Sutter, San Joaquin, and beyond. There are a lot of Kings followers. If Sacramento brought nothing to the NBA, then Stern would find a way to get rid of them. Stern knows it's a good basketball city, that's why he wants a new arena there. Did you miss the early 2000s? It don't get more crunk than that.

Originally Posted by MR J 858

No Kings belong in Sacramento and not in Seattle or Anaheim.

The one team that needs a new owner & needs to relocate to Seattle is the New Orleans Hornets.

After the whole fiasco with Stern blocking the CP3 trade to the Lakers because the Hornets are league owned and the other owners in the league had a say on vetoing that trade the right thing for the Hornets is a new owner & new city & arena.

All which Seattle already has in the works.

This...
New Orleans can't support that team. I just moved to Washington from Cali and the people up here are starving for a team. I know Seattle is ready and they really should bring that team up here. 

Your an idiot

Originally Posted by Bean Pie Slanga

You don't really know the area though. Sacramento County is 1.5 million deep. And then there are outlying counties like El Dorado, Placer, Yolo, Sutter, San Joaquin, and beyond. There are a lot of Kings followers. If Sacramento brought nothing to the NBA, then Stern would find a way to get rid of them. Stern knows it's a good basketball city, that's why he wants a new arena there. Did you miss the early 2000s? It don't get more crunk than that.
True. There are alot of Kings fans in the outlier cities. The Kings fanbase can be buzzin' again, it just needs to cheer for a good product. It was just unfortunate timing that the Kings fall from perennial playoff contender from 2000-2006 coincided with the economic and housing bubble bursting. Once the new building is built there will be a great synergy going on between the Kings, its fans, and its city.

I went to the televised Kings vs Thunder game and Arco was LIVE AS HELL.

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

30t6p3b.gif
Just let the team move
Rusty Shackleford
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
pimp.gif

Honestly, if the Maloofs can't afford to pitch in for the new arena, then they sure as hell can't afford to pay the relocation fees associated with moving.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Your an idiot
You're*
laugh.gif

Come correct next time baby boy. 

Start dishing out facts and numbers and I might just consider your "judgements" worthy. You sound like my girl, high-strung and running on emotion. I put my numbers in, get live.

Back
Top Bottom