New Common Album 'Invincible Summer' Info

From HipHopDX:

Roughly one year after releasing one of his most commercially successful and critically acclaimed albums, Common is ready for achange of direction. The Chicago native has his eyes on a mid-July release for his eighth album, which is tentatively titled Invincible Summer. Afteran eight-song preview of the upcoming work by Common himself, Billboard magazine described the sound as"electro-tinged" and "techno-inspired."

"I created this music for the summer time, it's about feeling good," says Common. "This is thetype of music I felt was missing from my body of work."

While Kanye West and the late J. Dilla have provided production for both Finding Foreverand 2005's Be, Common says both the need for a fresh sound and a lack of access to Westled to the change in direction. The Neptunes and longtime Outkast contributor Mr. DJ provide all of the backing beats to Invincible Summer.

"Kanye was focusing on his Glow in the Dark show, so he hasn't been able to make it to the studio toweigh in," Common adds. "But it worked out well, organically. The Neptunes andMr. DJ came up with a fresh sound for me."

Cee-Lo, Santogold and Chester French, who have recently signed toThe Neptunes' Star Trak label, are all featured on the upcoming work. Invincible Summercould signal a return to the sound Common adopted for his 2002 release Electric Circus. The album also featuredproduction by The Neptunes, and its experimentation with Rock and Electronica drew mixed reactions from fans and critics.

Preliminary track listing for Invincible Summer:

"Universal Mind Control (U.M.C.)"
"Make My Day" feat. Cee-Lo
"Punch Love"
"What A World" feat. Chester French
"Changes"
"Party %+%+"
"Dreaming"
"Runaway" feat. Santogold

sounds like it might be similar to Electric Circus. if so
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Roughly one year after releasing one of his most commercially successful and critically acclaimed albums
Really????? I thought it was elevator music in the form of hip hop (with the exception of a few songs).

i kind of disappointed that there arent gonna be any k. west or dilla tracks but im looking forward to see how this turns out

i still find it funny how he never pulled anybody up from chi..yet he gets soo much respect...EFF THIS DUDE!

Originally Posted by LB81986

While Kanye West and the late J. Dilla have provided production for both Finding Forever and 2005's Be, Common says both the need for a fresh sound and a lack of access to West led to the change in direction. The Neptunes and longtime Outkast contributor Mr. DJ provide all of the backing beats to Invincible Summer.

"Kanye was focusing on his Glow in the Dark show, so he hasn't been able to make it to the studio to weigh in," Common adds. "But it worked out well, organically. The Neptunes and Mr. DJ came up with a fresh sound for me."

pimp.gif

I haven't like a Common album since Like Water For Chocolate and Kanye and Common never was a good match to me. Hopefully, the absence of Kanye willtake me back to the pre-BE Common.

^^...Yep...I guess he was more "real" to me...more political and conscious...BE had a couple tracks but by FF, It sounded like he had gone softcompared to his older sound..

YO! How anyone can not like BE is beyond me...
smh.gif

Invincible Summer could signal a return to the sound Common adopted for his 2002 release Electric Circus.
Just as I feared.
grin.gif

But my mans Mr. DJ is on it so
pimp.gif
DF!!!

YO! ^ It should be. 'Tunes definitely didn't hold him down the first go-round. Like I said, my faith is in David Sheats. Dude comes through. Whether ornot he meshes with Rashid remains to be seen though. DF!!!

neptunes + Common sounds good on paper...

but that typical neptunes organ sound and hi hats plus common talking about huggin his brothers is a recipe for disaster...

"this aint '94 joe we cant go back"

ohwell.gif

I dont like this... @ all. I think he should have stayed with the Kanye and Dilla sound. That was CLASSICNESS haha. Dang Com.

Originally Posted by AirAnt23

YO! How anyone can not like BE is beyond me...
smh.gif

Invincible Summer could signal a return to the sound Common adopted for his 2002 release Electric Circus.
Just as I feared.
grin.gif

But my mans Mr. DJ is on it so
pimp.gif
DF!!!

Ant I am with you...I feared this too. EC has good songs that I love like Aquarius and I Am Music but it easily is my least favorite Common album. Idon't know if I will be in love with this sound but I have different appreciation for music than when EC dropped so I will give it a fair chance. I amdisappointed that he wont have a Kanye Graduationish (high synthesizer type) track on here. I don't doubt Com will spit on this album but I hope theproduction is good.

Finding Forvever was a HUGE let down...Coming from one of dudes biggest fans. Hopefully this one turns out great. Sucks no Ye or Dilla though.

Originally Posted by Roc Boy Jada

Was FF that bad?

wasnt really bad just no depth to the album. and that was a follow up to "Be" (which is one of the best albums i've heard in a while)

and about his new album: i hope it doesn't come out in November

Back
Top Bottom