Need a new (used) car

So i'm looking to pick up a new car soon and need something economical and reliable. Looking at the typical Accord, Civic, Altima, Sentra, Corolla, Maxima, Camry, etc. Should i lean towards one more than the other? I've owned nothing but American cars, coming from a V8 Mustang GT so something that gets good MPG is pretty high in my book. Gonna be commuting to school four times a week, roughly 40 miles a day. Looking to spend $7k, i can go higher but i really don't want to. Can owners of any of the above cars comment on reliability and if there's anything that typically goes wrong with them at a certain mileage. Years i'm looking at are roughly anywhere from 99-06. 06 Sentra's are in my price range but an 02 Accord is probably the highest year i can go in my price range. Any recommendations? Thanks.  

for 7k u might be able to get an older is 300

but civics are crazy reliable.

120 k and only thing replaced was the timing belt water pump and starter

^I've seen a few IS300's but they've got some mileage on them. 150k+ on the ones that i've seen. I'm really into the last generation Prelude. Same thing with them though, a lot of miles on them.

Wow shocked, no BMW?

From the list you got I'd lean towards a Civic, Altima, & Accord. I have friends with those cars mad reliable. 7k is more then enough for a 2003& up. Goodluck OP.

id go with a mazda 3 or a mazda 6. its alot more fun then a civic or an accord. Very reliable also. you can def find them in the 7k range. its newer and also have xenon lights/cruise control/ power windows and locks/ keyless entry.

Toyota Solara 
58825c1ea270a803fe45008c7838ab3e1e27f17.jpg

cop a honda accord..... you can find a ogod one for that much loot.

or cop a caddy deville.

I had an Accord for 5+ years and never gave me any major problems. Gas mileage was solid too. 

OP is300s get crappy mpg and also need premium. Mazda 3 and 6s come with xenons?

With $7K I would try to get the best condition Civic or Corolla. I wouldn't really suggest an Accord because even though you could find one slightly under $7K, it'd be significantly older and have more miles than the Civic or Corolla. In 2005 I bought a 2001 Corolla for $5K with 89K miles. I took it to around 140K miles with no major problems until 2010 when I bought a new car. I gave it to my cousin and it's still going strong with no major problems.

If you just want to get to point a to point b and never have to worry about it breaking down on you and gets great gas mileage get a corolla.

Hondas have ****** issues over time, nissans overheat, toyotas are ugly af but they're tanks.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

So i'm looking to pick up a new car soon and need something economical and reliable. Looking at the typical Accord, Civic, Altima, Sentra, Corolla, Maxima, Camry, etc. Should i lean towards one more than the other? I've owned nothing but American cars, coming from a V8 Mustang GT so something that gets good MPG is pretty high in my book. Gonna be commuting to school four times a week, roughly 40 miles a day. Looking to spend $7k, i can go higher but i really don't want to. Can owners of any of the above cars comment on reliability and if there's anything that typically goes wrong with them at a certain mileage. Years i'm looking at are roughly anywhere from 99-06. 06 Sentra's are in my price range but an 02 Accord is probably the highest year i can go in my price range. Any recommendations? Thanks.  

Could you be more specific in terms of the year and model?

Civics & Corollas are in the same class, as Camrys & Accords

You get the idea.  But if you wanted to look for a used car, you might run into a lot of maintenance work.  Have you considered a cheap 'new' car?  Like the Hyundai Brand, Honda Fit, or something.  It makes sense.  You wouldn't want to break down in the middle of the road.  I would attest for the Accord. 

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

If you just want to get to point a to point b and never have to worry about it breaking down on you and gets great gas mileage get a corolla.

Hondas have ****** issues over time, nissans overheat, toyotas are ugly af but they're tanks.
That's basically what i've came up with, read about Honda's autos being pretty weak so if i go Honda i might just get a stick as i've heard their manuals are fine. I find Toyotas ugly as hell, especially the year range i'm looking at but they are reliable. I've heard mixed reviews about Nissans, some people say their indestructible while i read problems of peoples transmissions going south before 100k.

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

Originally Posted by Oh YoU MaD

That's basically what i've came up with, read about Honda's autos being pretty weak so if i go Honda i might just get a stick as i've heard their manuals are fine. I find Toyotas ugly as hell, especially the year range i'm looking at but they are reliable. I've heard mixed reviews about Nissans, some people say their indestructible while i read problems of peoples transmissions going south before 100k.

People drive stick for a reason.  They drive them to 'beat' them.  CIVIC + STICK = you're asking for it.

Come on man.

If you're particular, then just what you find AESTHETICALLY PLEASING.. You're going to school man. 

i got an even lower budget... can someone recommend something in the 3k range. i see a lot of obviously fake listing online. this is just a starter to get around in as i start my new job and can afford some better things.

^ find a car thats been maintained real well.

You can find a real clean low mile cadillac devile from 94-98 for that much.

or just cop a mid 90s civic......

When I drive my lil brothers 2002 Civic it feels like I'm driving a matchbox car. Newly paved streets feels like I'm driving over potholes.

If you ask me, the extra 2K for an Accord or Camry is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom