NC NTERS CHECK IN

Anybody know where I can find an Infrared Pack in Charlotte? Seems like the DTLRs aren't getting them, and I've been told that the only Foot Locker that will have them is Carolina Place. Any other info?

Looking for some insight about NC in general. My wife is a strong candidate for a position that would be based out of Mt. Olive, and everybody has suggested that we look for a place to live in Clayton.

Any ups and downs to the Raleigh area? The suburbs of Raleigh? I would be moving from Long Beach, CA. Any major differences in culture between So Cal. and North Carolina? I've heard it is more humid...stuff to do?

Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted by eaalto

Looking for some insight about NC in general. My wife is a strong candidate for a position that would be based out of Mt. Olive, and everybody has suggested that we look for a place to live in Clayton.

Any ups and downs to the Raleigh area? The suburbs of Raleigh? I would be moving from Long Beach, CA. Any major differences in culture between So Cal. and North Carolina? I've heard it is more humid...stuff to do?

Thanks for any input.
I moved from So Cal to Raleigh in 98 and I've been here ever since. The first thing I noticed when I got here were the trees... they were everywhere! Raleigh is cool place... there's really not a lot of things to do especially if you're coming from Long Beach. There are a few bars I hit up. First Friday is cool. Bars are usually packed and there are several things that goes on in downtown Raleigh like shows and art shows, if you're in to that kind of stuff. There's no sneaker boutique here like Proper in LB. As far as culture, people here are laid back. I think people here move at a slower pace and are a lot nicer. I still visit So Cal every year but I will never move back there. It's really humid here too! I hate NC summer. I always miss the So Cal weather... I lived in Norwalk btw... 562!

Originally Posted by ronizle

Thanks for any input.
I moved from So Cal to Raleigh in 98 and I've been here ever since. The first thing I noticed when I got here were the trees... they were everywhere! Raleigh is cool place... there's really not a lot of things to do especially if you're coming from Long Beach. There are a few bars I hit up. First Friday is cool. Bars are usually packed and there are several things that goes on in downtown Raleigh like shows and art shows, if you're in to that kind of stuff. There's no sneaker boutique here like Proper in LB. As far as culture, people here are laid back. I think people here move at a slower pace and are a lot nicer. I still visit So Cal every year but I will never move back there. It's really humid here too! I hate NC summer. I always miss the So Cal weather... I lived in Norwalk btw... 562!
I used to go to a bike shop in Nowalk on Studebaker and Imperial called Pat's 605.  Anyway, I lived nearby in La Palma for about a year and half (91/Valley View), been in Long Beach for about a year.  Summers are definitely easier here being by the ocean.  I stopped buying sneakers long ago so that's not really an issue for me.  My only big must haves are good restaurants (not chains), reasonable golf courses, and maybe bike paths.  I don't really care too much about going to bars anymore.

ttheres actually 2 sb spots in raleigh for those that still mess with blazers or dunks...raleigh did have a sneaker boutique called fm goods & sounds but closed up shop last yr due to the economy...was def one of the best sneaker spots in nc

ttheres actually 2 sb spots in raleigh for those that still mess with blazers or dunks...raleigh did have a sneaker boutique called fm goods & sounds but closed up shop last yr due to the economy...was def one of the best sneaker spots in nc

Originally Posted by ronizle

Thanks for any input.
I used to go to a bike shop in Nowalk on Studebaker and Imperial called Pat's 605.  Anyway, I lived nearby in La Palma for about a year and half (91/Valley View), been in Long Beach for about a year.  Summers are definitely easier here being by the ocean.  I stopped buying sneakers long ago so that's not really an issue for me.  My only big must haves are good restaurants (not chains), reasonable golf courses, and maybe bike paths.  I don't really care too much about going to bars anymore.
Raleigh has a decent amount of good restaurants. I'm also not into chain restaurants. I'm almost always downtown on the weekends eating. Raleigh is growing and there are plenty of places to eat downtown. As far as golf courses and bike paths, there are a couple of courses/parks with bike paths I know of but I've never really been there. I just know where they are. If you have a laid back attitude then you will like it here. It's no Cali for sure. It took me years to get used to how they do things around here.

Ronizle, thanks for the input.  I don't want to get ahead of myself because nothing is set in stone but I'm kind of excited.  Lived in So. Cal for my whole life so a change of pace/scenery would definitely be interesting.

Update: my wife got the job, now we're in the negotiation stage. It looks like we would try to buy a home in Clayton, and she would have a 50 mile commute to work in Mt. Olive. I have flexibility with where I can transfer, I have a potential lateral position in Chapel Hill, and transfer opportunities in Durham, Raleigh, and Cary. No matter what, I'm looking at a 25-50 mile commute to work, so what is the traffic like? Is it a breeze compared to L.A. traffic? It looks like I'd be able to take I-40 the entire way, is there expected rush hour traffic in and around Raleigh?

For perspective, my wife's commute to work was 25 miles, but it typically takes 30-60 minutes depending on time of day and traffic, the average is 45 minutes. No matter what she was almost always in traffic. At a time I had about a 25 mile commute to work that could take equally as long, but then we moved closer to my work and I only work 1.5 miles away (sometimes faster to just ride my bike to work). Anyway, thanks in advance for you input, we're really excited about this move (hopefully negotiations go well).

Update: my wife got the job, now we're in the negotiation stage. It looks like we would try to buy a home in Clayton, and she would have a 50 mile commute to work in Mt. Olive. I have flexibility with where I can transfer, I have a potential lateral position in Chapel Hill, and transfer opportunities in Durham, Raleigh, and Cary. No matter what, I'm looking at a 25-50 mile commute to work, so what is the traffic like? Is it a breeze compared to L.A. traffic? It looks like I'd be able to take I-40 the entire way, is there expected rush hour traffic in and around Raleigh?

For perspective, my wife's commute to work was 25 miles, but it typically takes 30-60 minutes depending on time of day and traffic, the average is 45 minutes. No matter what she was almost always in traffic. At a time I had about a 25 mile commute to work that could take equally as long, but then we moved closer to my work and I only work 1.5 miles away (sometimes faster to just ride my bike to work). Anyway, thanks in advance for you input, we're really excited about this move (hopefully negotiations go well).
your wife's commute should be pretty laid back for the most part, there shouldn't be a lot of traffic going down hwy 70, there might be some traffic coming home on the out skirts of clayton but that just depends on where in clayton yall live.  your commute will depend on where you work, coming from clayton into raleigh on I40 is no easy commute.  Clayton to Chapel Hill could take anywhere from 1 hour - 1 hour 45 mins in the morning, and at least that long in the afternoon going home, and that's if there is no accidents.  Durham is a little closer so it could take anywhere from 1 hour - 1 hour 30 mins.  Raleigh and Cary would be the closest options, but for those it all depends on where in the cities you would be working.  so even those two cities your commute would be anywhere from 45 mins - 1 hour 15 mins, and like i said these times are all taking in to account there aren't any accidents, if there is an accident or two depending where along your commute it is you could throw these times out the window.  hopefully this will give you a good idea of the kind of commute you might face.  let me know if you have any other questions, i would be happy to help out.

dave

*** ps- those commute times are with the assumption you would have to be at work between 8-9am.  if you start work earlier or later that would shave some time off the commute.   

eaalto, it's nothing you won't be able to handle. if you can survive LA traffic then you'll be fine here. like dave919 said, it all depends on what time you'll be working. some days you'll have a breeze going to work and some days you'll hit traffic. unlike LA, where it's almost always traffic. i hope all goes well with the negotiation.

took a nice fat L on the vi pack

not sure why the rdu area got so few pairs.

unless people at these stores were just lying to me

^had a size 12 on lock but some bs went on but its cool...ill just scoop up both varsity red on the 50...may try to cop the foams next weekn at hoh when I'm in DC

i just don't understand why houston got so many pairs and this area didn't

makes no sense

Originally Posted by SneakFiendAddicted

Originally Posted by yeerp

Did you check out the Fashion Avenues? 
yeerp, sure did
and was informed that they weren't getting them
one fashion ave i called three days in a row and they never answered

they usually get everything
i was prolly lied to

Did you check out the Fashion Avenues? 
yeerp, sure did

i was prolly lied to
Yeh, FA can definitely play too many games sometimes when it comes to big releases.  I know the one in Durham off Roxboro st. had them for sure.  I think once all the prepaid orders have been filled, then thats when they start lying.

yeerp, sure did

i was prolly lied to
Yeh, FA can definitely play too many games sometimes when it comes to big releases.  I know the one in Durham off Roxboro st. had them for sure.  I think once all the prepaid orders have been filled, then thats when they start lying.

well that makes me feel even worse about it then...
they told me they weren't getting them and i knew they were lying

ugh.

Eastland Mall shuts down Wednesday. I might have to roll out there to spit game at a hoode ratt for one last time, LOL.

Damn, you never know how much you miss a ghetto mall til it's gone. RIP.  

finally about to do a sneaker purge.

got 50 pairs in my living room between the couch and tv (forcing me to sell em so i can see)

gotta get down to one closet....

pizza man's eyes popped when he looked in

better not get any bright ideas

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Eastland Mall shuts down Wednesday. I might have to roll out there to spit game at a hoode ratt for one last time, LOL.

Damn, you never know how much you miss a ghetto mall til it's gone. RIP.  
Man i walked through there last week. I was so hurt. at least i got a couple fitteds for the low. But yeah ima miss that place the gang fights, shootings, all the jordans i copped from there. lol.

Back
Top Bottom