NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Kookcle wrote
81a739faaa75846069b3075826b521bd-getty-88620135jo018_clips_presser.jpg

aec804c958e0924b06359bb0f0f6addc-getty-88620135jo008_clips_players.jpg

My guy Bassy
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by BangDak

the initial rumor was hinrich for dlee i think.
i rather sign sessions, then dlee+jefferies for miller+salmons. both have an expiring, although salmons can stunt gallos/chandler's growth a bit, but well worth it if we could go on with our 2010 plan.

why would the bulls do that horrible trade?

^because they want d.lee.
dont worry, im known to make un-realistic trades, word to that mock draft
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I been talkin with CJ Watson on twitter (lol) and he REALLY wants to be on the Magic, but it seems like we can only do a S&T at this point. I hope we takesome of that Hedo TE and use it to get him.
He said he would come run pickup with me at my college gym
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by avitale8

I been talkin with CJ Watson on twitter (lol) and he REALLY wants to be on the Magic, but it seems like we can only do a S&T at this point. I hope we take some of that Hedo TE and use it to get him.
laugh.gif

Where you go, UCF? We need him though. Another shooter won't hurt.

I been talkin with CJ Watson on twitter (lol) and he REALLY wants to be on the Magic, but it seems like we can only do a S&T at this point. I hope we take some of that Hedo TE and use it to get him.
laugh.gif

I dont know if you can split and/or use the TE multipal times (I dont think so but not sure).....I believe Hedo's TE was between 7-10 mil. Maybe they canuse some of TE and forfeit the rest in a s&t (which would be a bad move imo).

Lee Frustrated Being In Limbo

Jul 23, 2009 6:21 PM EST

With the Knicks reserving cap space for the summer of 2010, David Lee is stuck in limbo.

"Going forward I thought I could still be a big piece of the puzzle -- and it's not as though I'm looking at a max contract, or talking abouteither me OR LeBron. I thought it was something where we could get something done and they'd still have more than enough left over for what they wanted inthe future, but apparently there's some disagreement on that -- just on how the Knicks want to move forward. And I think at this point they're notcompletely sure what they're going to do and how they want to proceed," Lee said.

Given the torrent of trade rumors he's hearing, Lee expects something to happen over the next two months that will keep him from having to accept theKnicks' qualifying offer of slightly less than $3 million, which would allow him to become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2010.

"I know there's a lot of teams that are interested, and a lot of the teams in sign-and-trades interested in me weren't teams that had cap spacegoing into this summer. But there's still Portland with cap space, and there's still teams very interested in sign-and-trades, and there's stillNew York figuring out what they want to do."

Lee was asked if he is taking the situation personally.

"I'm not going to go with angry or disrespected, that's not the way we feel," Lee said. "I understand the Knicks have a lot of differentfactors they're considering. At this point they're looking toward the future and trying to figure out exactly what they want to do, and possibly evenconfused about what they want to do. I don't know that they're 100 percent sure right now, just from what Donnie is saying, that they 100 percent knowwhat direction they want to go in. You've seen that with the different guys [Jason Kidd and Grant Hill] they've been trying to get, and theyhaven't gotten them.

"It's no fun right now because it's the next five to six years of my life, but it should be fun to see what does come out of this."

Via ESPN

New York Knicks

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ratliff Agrees To Terms With San Antonio
Jul 23, 2009 4:16 PM EST

The Spurs have agreed to terms with free-agent big man Theo Ratliff.

Ratliff agreed to a one-year deal with San Antonio worth the veteran's minimum, which is a tad more than $1.3 million.

He spent last season with Philadelphia.

Via Philadelphia Daily News

San Antonio Spurs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sources: Ratner Is Looking To Sell Nets
Jul 24, 2009 8:16 AM EST

The New York Post has learned that Nets owner Bruce Ratner is actively looking to selling the team.

Ratner is looking into the feasibility of selling the Nets, even though the club's value is considerably lower in the current economic market.

"I know definitely he has been thinking about doing it [selling]," one source said. "But now is not the time. And if he sells, what about thebuilding? Does he sell just the team? Then you're in New Jersey for a couple years losing a ton of money."

There have even been "preliminary discussions" with some investors that are viewed as potential buyers, sources added.

"After this year, the Nets will have one of, if not the, lowest payroll in the league, which could make them attractive," said another source."That they're trying to sell is not even an issue any more."

Via New York Post

New Jersey Nets

Sixers Withdraw Offer To Andre Miller
Jul 24, 2009 8:08 AM EST

The 76ers have withdrawn their one-year offer to free-agent point guard Andre Miller, according to a source familiar with the club.

Philadelphia made the move because they don't believe Miller wants a one-year deal. There have been multiple reports that the Knicks and Blazers haveserious interest in the point guard.

It has long been believed that Miller is done with the 76ers, and the withdrawal of the offer appears to make it just one step closer.

Via Philadelphia Daily News

Philadelphia 76ers

Hawes Apologizes For Missing Summer League
Jul 24, 2009 8:01 AM EST

Spencer Hawes has apologized to the Kings for not playing on their summer league team.

"The biggest thing was poor communication on my end," the center said on Thursday.

"I definitely could have handled it better. If I (ticked) people off, I apologize. I couldn't be there for the first few days because of anothercommitment, but I planned on coming after that. Then when it all blew up, I just would have been a distraction. I have to take responsibility for that. But thekey is I've spoken with the coaches and Geoff Petrie and we put it behind us."

Via ESPN

Sacramento Kings

Knicks Have Advanced Talks With Wafer
Jul 24, 2009 7:58 AM EST

Knicks president Donnie Walsh has had advanced discussions with Von Wafer, according to the guard's agent.

Wafer averaged 9.7 points last season, and actually played for New York's summer league team in 2008.

A source claims that the two parties are trying to arrange a visit to New York. Walsh is reportedly interested in giving Wafer a one-year deal worth thebiannual exception.

Via New York Post

New York Knicks

Lee Doesn't Foresee Long Stint With Knicks
Jul 24, 2009 7:52 AM EST

David Lee is looking for a contract that will pay him $10 million annually, a price that most of the league appears to consider too high.

Lee expressed his frustration with the free agent market on Friday, and admitted that he doesn't see himself staying with the Knicks over the long-term.

"My gut would be that it's going to be difficult at this point to get a long-term deal done with New York, that's my gut," Lee told The NewYork Daily News.

Lee has the option of signing a one-year qualifying offer with the Knicks for $2.7 million and becoming an unrestricted free agent next summer.

According to a source, the Knicks would be willing to pay Lee close to $6 million, more than double the qualifying offer, if he agrees to sign the one-yeardeal.

"I understand his frustration, but it's a tough market and we're not in a good position," Knicks president Donnie Walsh said Thursday."That's why it is important to get under the salary cap."

Via New York Daily News

New York Knicks

Oberto Agrees To Sign With Wizards
Jul 24, 2009 7:44 AM EST

Fabricio Oberto has agreed to sign with the Wizards, according to the Washington Post.

Oberto, who is home in his native Argentina, called Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld on Thursday to inform him that he would accept a one-year deal worth thebiannual exception of $1.99 million.

The Kings, Suns, Thunder and Lakers were also interested in Oberto, who was released by Detroit earlier this month after being traded twice in a matter ofdays.

Via Washington Post

Washington Wizards

Clippers Will Waive Rights To Williams
Jul 24, 2009 7:36 AM EST

The Clippers are expected to waive their exclusive rights to negotiate with point guard Jason Williams on Friday.

The move will allow Williams to pursue a comeback to the NBA this season after not playing in the league in 2008-09.

Williams will become a free agent in seven days as he waits to clear waivers.

Sources claim that the Clippers had a deadline of Thursday from the league office to exercise their exclusive right to re-sign Williams, who signed a one-yeardeal with the club last August.

He opted in September to place himself on the league's voluntarily retired list.

Via ESPN

Los Angeles Clippers

Dunleavy: Griffin Won't Need Surgery
Jul 24, 2009 7:27 AM EST

Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy says that rookie forward Blake Griffin won't need surgery on his injured shoulder.

The team announced Wednesday that Griffin has a strained right shoulder, which will require three to four weeks of rest to heal.

"The good news was they never mentioned surgery or any kind of a deal," Dunleavy said Thursday. "That was the first great news.

"I'm disappointed to hear anything which puts him on the shelf because of his great work ethic. He had improved so much in the short period of time hewas with us prior to going into summer league. But I don't think it'll be a major setback for him at all."

Via ESPN

Los Angeles Clippers

Portland Met With Arroyo Last Week
Jul 24, 2009 7:17 AM EST

The Trail Blazers met with free-agent point guard Carlos Arroyo last week in Las Vegas.

HoopsWorld learned of the meeting, which adds just another name to the list of point guards that Portland is considering.

Arroyo played in Israel last season, but his agent, Leon Rose, said that he wants to return to the NBA in a starting role and under a two-year deal.

However, a source claims that Portland sees Arroyo as a backup, and not a starter.

The 76ers are rumored to be showing interest in Arroyo as well.

Via HoopsWorld

Blowin up over here that there is some video of Greg Oden destroying all in the USA practices.

It's only the end of July, and it's already starting again.
smh.gif

I mean, can I get a vacation please? I gotta do all this AGAIN?!?
laugh.gif

[h1]Grizzlies are out for A.I., same for Clippers?[/h1]
By Marc J. Spears, Yahoo! Sports

LAS VEGAS - Don't expect Allen Iverson(notes) to wear a Memphis Grizzlies uniform next season. His chances of suiting up for the Los Angeles Clippers don't look too good, either.

Two sources with knowledge of the Grizzlies' plans said Thursday that any negotiations between the team and Iverson were "dead." Memphis offered Iverson a one-year, $5 million contract with the stipulation that he would likely need to come off the bench. The Grizzlies, however, have not spoken to Iverson or his management team since early July, and neither side appears to have any interest in restarting talks.

"Why would a future Hall of Famer come off the bench for a team that won't make the playoffs?" said one Western Conference executive.

Though Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley said he'd be willing to add Iverson, some team officials worry about the impact Iverson's dominant personality would have on young guards O.J. Mayo(notes) and Michael Conley.

Much like the Grizzlies, the Clippers were intrigued by Iverson's ability to sell tickets, as well as his talent. One agent who had spoken to Clippers officials in recent days said the team was distancing itself from Iverson after acquiring point guard Sebastian Telfair(notes) from the Minnesota Timberwolves and is possibly weighing an offer to free-agent guard Ramon Sessions(notes) - though one NBA source cautioned there was still "some life" in talks between the two sides.

Clippers second-year guard Eric Gordon(notes) stands to be among the most impacted should the team sign Iverson, but he's kept an open mind (at least publicly) about the possibility he and A.I. could become teammates.

"Iverson is a Hall of Famer," Gordon said at the Team USA minicamp. "But everyone is talking about how he is a different guy in the locker room and on the court. A.I.'s a big personality. Dude is a warrior. You can always learn from that and take that as an advantage for any of his teammates.

"We almost play the same position, but I'm not too worried about it. Things happen all the time. You just got to adjust."

With the Grizzlies moving on and the Clippers' interest apparently waning, Iverson's options on the free-agent market could be dwindling. League sources still counted the Miami Heat and Charlotte Bobcats as possible destinations.

The Minnesota Timberwolves are expected to begin interviewing finalists for their head-coaching position this weekend, league sources said. ABC-TV analyst and former NBA point guard Mark Jackson, Houston Rockets assistant Elston Turner and Los Angeles Lakers assistant Kurt Rambis are widely considered to make up the finalists pool with Portland Trail Blazers assistant Monty Williams a long-shot possibility.

Timberwolves general manager David Kahn is expected to conduct the interviews by asking the candidates to show some of their on-court coaching techniques, as well as having them diagram plays and give examples of their motivational strategies.

Jackson has been long thought to be the leading candidate for the job.

Even though Lakers coach Phil Jackson could retire after this season, the franchise doesn't seem inclined to keep Rambis from taking the Minnesota position should it be offered. One coaching source predicted the Lakers would seek a more established replacement for Jackson.

The Utah Jazz are proceeding patiently as they explore trade options for forward Carlos Boozer(notes). The team's franchise star also doesn't seem too worried about how the situation will play out.

"We can be a great team with or without him," point guard Deron Williams(notes) said of Boozer.

Williams said he was encouraged by Utah's decision to re-sign forward Paul Millsap(notes) and extend center Mehmet Okur's(notes) contract. Boozer's future with the Jazz will eventually be resolved.

"You don't know if a trade is going to happen or not," Williams said. "He could be back there. He can play the whole season. He can play part of the season. There is no telling in this business.

"Just because someone wants to get traded doesn't mean they're going to let him go for nothing. (Jazz general manager) Kevin (O'Connor) is smart about this situation. Our organization is a smart organization. We're not a bad organization that does bad moves. I have full confidence in them."

Boozer has said the Jazz told him they would try to trade him, and he's expressed interest in going to Miami or Chicago. Privately, however, Jazz officials have made it clear they aren't holding a fire sale for Boozer.

One Jazz source said the franchise wasn't satisfied with a proposal that would bring back forwards Udonis Haslem(notes) and Dorell Wright(notes). The Jazz did talk to the Detroit Pistons about a Boozer-for-Tayshaun Prince(notes) swap, but were turned down.

New York Knicks free-agent forward David Lee(notes) expressed frustration on Thursday that his contract situation remains unresolved.

"A lot of ins and a lot of outs going on right now," said Lee, who is not practicing during Team USA's minicamp because he doesn't have a contract. "We should know more here in the next couple of days.

"I don't think we are worlds apart. But there is definitely an effort on their part to spend as little as possible just because of their situation wanting to save money for 2010. And we understand that. I don't think we are asking for anything out of the ordinary. It will be interesting to see how everything pans out. We still have the opportunity for sign-and-trades and for offer sheets for the few teams that have cap room left."

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni said he hopes the Knicks re-sign Lee, but also made it clear that the team intends to preserve as much salary-cap space for next summer's heralded free-agent class. The Knicks would prefer to sign Lee to a one-year contract while Lee had initially sought a multiyear offer that could approach $10 million annually. With only the Trail Blazers and Oklahoma City Thunder still possessing significant cap room, Lee's best option could be a sign-and-trade deal.

"We are trying to have a certain game plan and a certain number set into the equation," D'Antoni said. "His agent has another game plan and has a certain number. We're just not matching up right now. We have to go through the process."

The Boston Celtics and Indiana Pacers will likely decide by the end of the week whether guard Marquis Daniels(notes) will receive Boston's $1.99 million biannual exception or come to the team via a sign-and-trade deal. A sign-and-trade would allow the Celtics to save their biannual exception and potentially give Daniels a higher salary. Based on salary, Boston guard Tony Allen(notes) could be the best option (he'll make $2.5 million this season) to go to Indiana in a sign-and-trade.

Cleveland Cavaliers free-agent forward Joe Smith(notes) is visiting with Hawks officials over a two-day trip to Atlanta. … Sacramento Kings free-agent forward Shelden Williams(notes) worked out with the Lakers on Wednesday. … Point guard Carlos Arroyo(notes), who played for Israel Maccabi Tel Aviv last season, is determined to return to the NBA next season and is receiving interest from six teams, a league source said. … Deron Williams, a member of last summer's gold-medal team, is visiting Team USA's minicamp and said he hopes to play in the 2010 World Championships in Turkey. "As long as I'm healthy and feeling good, I don't know why I wouldn't do it," Williams said. … Forwards Kevin Durant(notes) and Josh Smith(notes) and center Greg Oden(notes) worked with the first team at Team USA's practice on Thursday while Devin Harris(notes), O.J. Mayo and Derrick Rose(notes) shared time at the two guard positions.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Blowin up over here that there is some video of Greg Oden destroying all in the USA practices.

smh.gif

laugh.gif

Quit crying girl.

Originally Posted by CarpeDiemKJ

I hope Bruce Ratner sells the Nets to an owner who wants to keep the team in NJ. Move the team to Newark.

Doubtful.

Any owner buying in will most likely want to relo that franchise to NYC or quite possibly some other city.

That's just my opinion though.

Originally Posted by Chester McFloppy

Originally Posted by CP1708

smh.gif

laugh.gif

Quit crying girl.

Back on the grind, my work is never done. *sigh*

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

http://twitter.com/johnschuhmann

Team USA twitter.

"Rudy Gay has looked real sharp today."
pimp.gif

1st team Oden, Josh Smith, Durant, Devin Harris and OJ Mayo.

http://twitter.com/pdxtrailblazers

Rudy Gay 3rd team....D Rose 4th team. Also Rudy has bulked up. They said he's at 240 lbs now. Last season he was 222.
sick.gif
pimp.gif

OJ and Rudy going to have to kick team's $%@ for people to start taking them serious. I know that Rudy is tired of losing for 3 straight seasons. Thiswill probably be his most motivated year especially with his contract extension coming up.

laugh.gif

Please God let this happen. As a Warrior fan I'd try and kick the money to the magic personally to get this to happen.

[h2]Blazers make 3-year offer to Miller[/h2]
By Chad Ford
ESPN.com
Archive

The Portland Trail Blazers have offered point guard Andre Miller a three-year contract with a team option for a third year, a source close to the process said Friday.

3331.jpg

Miller

The contract would be worth $21 million, with $14 million guaranteed and
$7 million included as a team option, the source said.

Miller had been balking at signing the 76ers' one-year offer, and the Blazers were one of only two teams with the money to give him more than the mid-level exception.

The Blazers have been looking for a veteran point guard for the past couple of seasons and have flirted with everyone from http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=429Jason Kidd to http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1981Kirk Hinrich.

With Miller the Blazers would get a savvy veteran who excels as a physical, post-up guard.

Chad Ford is a senior NBA writer for ESPN.com.

Back
Top Bottom