NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

Suns Interested In Luol Deng
Jun 15, 2009 4:19 PM EST

phx_40.gif
Another scenario that would see Shaquille O'Neal leaving Phoenix would be a trade with Chicago involving Luol Deng.

The Arizona Republic wrote late Sunday of a rumor that involved the Suns getting Deng, Tim Thomas and another player for O'Neal.

The Bulls would be able to make a little noise in the East with O'Neal in the paint, while also freeing up cap room for 2010. That would allow them to make a play for Chicago native Dwyane Wade or another member of the class.

Phoenix originally selected Deng in the 2004 NBA Draft as part of a trade with Chicago.
GET THAT #@@$!$$ TRADE DOWN NOW

sheed doesnt work for the magic

Tim Thomas back to Phoenix Suns..wow...
eek.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tupac003

[h2]Kobe May Opt Out[/h2]
Bryant_Kobe_lal_090609b.jpg

Jun 15, 2009 11:30 AM EST

lal_40.gif
A report from the Los Angeles Times indicated that Kobe Bryant could opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent July 1st.

Bryant conceivably could depart the Lakers for another team, but that scenario appears highly unlikely.

The club's long term outlook as a perennial title contender will affect his decision, according to sources that spoke with the Los Angeles Times.

The report from the Los Angeles Times indicated that a maximum 'extension' would be for five years and $135 million.

Bryant is not eligible for a full extension because of the Over-36 rule. The cutoff date is October 1st and Bryant's birthday is August 23rd, meaning Bryant could potentially miss out on more than $30 million by just under 40 days.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Los Angeles Lakers

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

eek.gif

probably a dumb question, but How exactly does the over 36 rule work? Does it mean that he can't sign a max deal for more than 5 years at this pointbecause he would be over the age of 36?

^ yoooooo i thought Kobe would for sure opt out so that he could resign for less money..... that would have been +6 (rck2sactown points) in my book
pimp.gif

buuuuuuuuut i guess not
laugh.gif
he'll stay being selfish... i kid i kid.

laugh.gif
at people thinking Kobe is opting out because he wants to leave. He is opting out because he wants a new contract, whether it be for more or less money.

SMH at Shaq whoring himself out to teams now haha.

probably a dumb question, but How exactly does the over 36 rule work? Does it mean that he can't sign a max deal for more than 5 years at this pointbecause he would be over the age of 36?

I'm guessing it means he can't sign that massive contract because he will be over 36 yrs old on October 1st the year a 5-year contract would expire.Looking it up it has something to do with players retiring and still getting paid...not that we think Kobe will be gone by then but still rules.

As a 2nd option of course TURKOGLU would fit well alongside LEBRON ...

I'm not familiar with the CAV's financial situation, but could they afford to pay him....???
The ownership can afford it, but the team doesn't have the cap space. I don't know how they came up as a destination. Why would he takeless money to go to a lesser team?

probably a dumb question, but How exactly does the over 36 rule work? Does it mean that he can't sign a max deal for more than 5 years at this point because he would be over the age of 36?
How exactly does the over 36 rule work? Does it mean that he can't sign a max deal for more than 5 years at this point because he would be over the age of 36?
I'm guessing it means he can't sign that massive contract because he will be over 36 yrs old on October 1st the year a 5-year contract would expire.
http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q49

He can sign the contract, but his salary for the last year or two of contract will count against the Lakers salary cap during the first three (four?) years ofthe deal because the league will view it as deferred payment until he actually makes it to the final years of his contract. Hopefully an LA writer willexplain what it means for Kobe and the Lakers.

The NBA uses the rule to close a loop hole that allowed teams to pay an old guy more money by signing him to a deal that has more years than he's expectedto play. So, a team would be able to pay an old guy $30M w/ a four year deal paying $7.5M per even though they only expected him to play two years. He'dretire two years and still get his $30M, but the team would only be using $7.5M of cap space for each year. This rule assumes that the player is going toretire and adjusts the salary cap accordingly. That means that the team would have to have the additional cap space or give the guy a shorter/smaller deal.

The ownership can afford it, but the team doesn't have the cap space. I don't know how they came up as a destination. Why would he take less money to go to a lesser team?
I expect for Orlando to depart with Pietrus or maybe even Alston to try and get a little extra money to re-sign him.

Shaq is easily an upgrade, but can he actually stay healthy for a run at a Championship? And the way I see it, Cleveland might be just trying to show Lebronthat they want to put help around him so Lebron stays for the long term, but Shaq is no long-term plan. It is only a short-term fix. Sure, they may win aChampionship, but Lebron wants like 10 rings, not one. They need to look long term and should save those trade pieces (for what they're worth) for someoneyounger.

O'Neal reportedly has some demands. He would like a two-year contract extension, and assurance that James will remain with the Cavaliers for at least the next three seasons.
laugh.gif

2yopugm.jpg

"Come get us Danny!" -
ie1hd1.jpg

Getting Shaq Daddy & my dude Sheed would be one of the greatest moments of my life (as a fan of course
laugh.gif
).
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

The ownership can afford it, but the team doesn't have the cap space. I don't know how they came up as a destination. Why would he take less money to go to a lesser team?
I expect for Orlando to depart with Pietrus or maybe even Alston to try and get a little extra money to re-sign him.
Peaches no, Alston yes.

Originally Posted by KnockoutNed

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Peaches no, Alston yes.

Alston has every right to be pissed off because of the Finals and I wouldn't be surprised if they trade him or he asks to be traded. Dude wasput on the bench when he played well and was replaced with a Nelson who was a shell of his former self.

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

laugh.gif
at people thinking Kobe is opting out because he wants to leave. He is opting out because he wants a new contract, whether it be for more or less money.
He doesn't have the guts to leave anyway.

Plus, LA is virtually a life support machine for his wife. She could never be without it.
laugh.gif

Jun 17, 2009 6:57 AM EST

Gordon_Ben_chi.jpg
Ben Gordon's agent is reportedly telling people that his client has a guarantee from the Pistons.

The agent claims that Detroit has promised Gordon $11 million annually, which makes sense considering that the guard rejected $10 million and $9 million from Chicago in the previous two years.

There have been rumors that the Pistons are looking to trade Richard Hamilton, which has only accelerated the speculation that they are targeting Gordon.

roll.gif

so much for that dealing for AI to land a guy like Bosh.

Dumars is still a genius, right?

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Originally Posted by Not a sneak

laugh.gif
He doesn't have the guts to leave anyway.

Plus, LA is virtually a life support machine for his wife. She could never be without it.
laugh.gif

QFT LMAO

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Originally Posted by dreClark

I think he's more talented than Bassy
to me only as an athlete.

he was right with Mullens, Monroe, Aminu, Evans, Holiday, DeRozan for tops in his class.

then He pulls out the bozo the clown show at the McD AA game and everyone got enamored with him and the hype ensued.

to be fair Bassy was a douche in that game, too. But he was always more of a natural point to me...passing was instinctive...with Jennings he only wants to make highlight passes and get assists, not run a team.
QFT!! Finally someone understands.

i know im late, but I always wondered how people didnt see this. Not just with Jennings but a plethora of point gaurds who will only make a past IF it getsTHEM an ast or a highlight. Not always making the right pass. And then they're labeled as an excellent and willing passer.
laugh.gif

No matter what Cleve does, Lebron is gone, Knicks or Nets, but not Cleve

I really think Kobe will take less money for Lamar and Trevor, he really is about winning, and if he wins another title ppl put him top 5 maybe, so moneydoesnt matter, he'll make it up in endorsements

I hope this summer and next is as interesting as we all hope, what if TEAM USA is all just messin with us and everybody ( wade,bosh,lebron) stays
laugh.gif
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom