NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Again, LO turned down 3/30. No way Buss comes back and says, nevermind, here's 4/40.

He's already paying the LT. When nobody out there is gonna offer LO 10M, why should he? Especially after he turned it down the first go around

and again at the end of the day he knows like everyone else Lakers have no shot to repeat with out LO

at this point the 5 year 36m from the heat has been the best offer so buss would have no choice but to up the offer

Jamaal Tinsley is alive? Dude has been in exile longer than Napoleon.
roll.gif

Thing is, if Buss wanted to, he could re-offer 3/30 and LO would be hardpressed not to take it, since, only Mia can offer the MLE. How does he turn down 3/30again?

That's why I doubt the whole 4/40 thing. Why would Buss have to add another year to get LO back.

The Mia deal is 36M but for 5 years. There was talk about taking the Heat deal and then leaving after 3 to get another deal.

The Lakers can offer him 10M a year, and the same thing. 3 years and go out and get another deal.

IMO Buss doesn't have to offer a 4th year to lock up LO.

Looking at the market, 3/30 will do.

Yeah, turning down 3/30 again would be an awfully bad move if he was offered it again.

He needs to put aside his neediness, 3 years is a long enough contract for the dude, why does he want more years so bad, so he can relax the first few seasonsthen kick it into gear on his expiring year so he can get paid again?
nerd.gif

I just don't know what Odom is doing.

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

holding up the deal is odom wants a 4 or 5 year deal tho right?

Yeah, but at the right price.

That's why he turned down 3/30 in the first place. He wanted a 4th or 5th year. And that's why Buss pulled it. He thought it was more then fair evenpaying him 10M

Mia can offer him 36M but over 5 years. LO accepts that, he'll get his 36, but 5 years is a long time. Who knows how big a pay day he can get in 5 years.

The thing is though, some reports are saying Buss ain't going to offer that again, as, he thinks his market value is 6M a year. And it's true, as,nobody can offer anything more then the MLE.

...unless Portland decides to get involved and offer him 7-9M

The Mia deal is 36M but for 5 years. There was talk about taking the Heat deal and then leaving after 3 to get another deal.

The Lakers can offer him 10M a year, and the same thing. 3 years and go out and get another deal.

i thought that the heat deal closer to 9M a year because of no state tax?.. so he would get more years in MIA and only getting 1mill less thenwhat LA has to offer...
COME TO THE HEAT......

Originally Posted by YoungTriz

i thought that the heat deal closer to 9M a year because of no state tax?.. so he would get more years in MIA and only getting 1mill less then what LA has to offer...
COME TO THE HEAT......
It can't be closer to 9M a year, as the MLE starts out at 5.8M or whatever in the first season.

That's the thing though, he will get more years in MIA, but, again, 5 years is a long time. This could really be the last big pay day for Odom, as, hecould break down along the way, and/or get seriously hurt.

Bottomline, Odom wanted 10M per, got offered it, but got greedy and wanted another year. As a result, the tables have turned on the dude.

Lamar Odom will re-sign with the Los Angeles Lakers, coming to terms on a $40 million contract over four years, according to sources close to the forward.
The deal will likely be consummated when owner Dr. Jerry Buss returns from vacation in Hawaii.

via.. realgm.com

But then again, they're sourcing blacksportsonline.com

I dunno we'll see how it plays out, but IMO, LO will not get 10M per from Buss

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Man if Lamar re-signs with the Lakers, just give them the chip and just skip the 09-10 season

Because the 90-100 something games it takes to win a chip don't matter
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by UCLAMIKE

Who knows how big a pay day he can get in 5 years
NONE thats why he wants a long term deal NOW
But if he took 3/30, the only difference he'll get from anywhere else is at the MOST 6 million for two extra years.

And I just don't see LO being a 3 million dollar player in 3 years time (he'll be 33).

Actually, he can opt out after 3 years to sign a bigger deal with the Heat while giving the Heat his Larry Bird rights and not so he can leave. With theFlorida state taxes laws, it's really like an 8 mil per yr for 5 yrs.

All that being said, he'll be Kobe teammate...........not Wade's
frown.gif

This just in: Utah is not going to be goosed into doing a Carlos Boozer deal.

All summer, we've been given breathless updates as to who is "ahead" in the Boozer "sweepstakes," with the two-time All-Star making his preference for wearing Heat Black next season clear. Three-way trades, two-team trades, all kind of trades--to the Bulls, to the Heat, to the Knicks, with the emphasis on a supposedly imminent deal, the Jazz not possibly being able to welcome Boozer back into the fold next season.

All wrong.

There's a good chance Carlos Boozer is the starting power forward for Utah in November, with a slighly overpriced backup in Paul Milsap.

Let me say this one more time: Utah is not going to be bullied, rushed or otherwise forced into trading Boozer anywhere. The Jazz is not going to do a deal for a deal's sake, and certainly isn't going to do a bad deal. That doesn't mean Utah isn't listening to offers (it is) or won't ultimately get a deal done for Boozer (though Miami will have to do better than combinations featuring Udonis Haslem and Dorell Wright; if the first words out of Riles's mouth aren't "Michael Beasley," forget it).

aint no way in hell im giving up beasley for boozer... the potential is too high... plus we would still have our heart/co captain of the team HASLEM... like isaid before... i was up for a A.I./Odom.. then odom and boozer.... what other teams need to dump some pay role??? would the Wiz be willing to get rid ofBulter?? or can we still find a way to get lee or felton???...

The Latest on Lamar Odom

I had several conversations today with people close to the Lakers, and asked each about the status of Lamar Odom. Here's what I learned:

--The best offer the Lakers had previously offered was Odom was for four years, $36 million. But the fourth year was a team option, that the Lakers had to either exercise, or buy Lamar out for $3 million. That means Odom turned down a guaranteed three year, $30 million contract.

That offer is no longer on the table, nor is any offer from the Lakers. I'm told that if Lamar called the team today and said he would accept these terms, he would most likely be told that the offer is no longer available. Again, this is my opinion based on multiple conversations. I have not spoken directly to Mitch Kupchak or Jerry Buss. If Lamar and Dr. Buss got together over dinner, maybe that original offer could resurface, but I'm told that's highly unlikely.

The common opinion seems to be that the Lakers made Odom an offer that was far above market value, and he turned it down. It's my feeling that the team no longer thinks he's worth a guaranteed $30 million in the current market. Unless somebody has a change of heart, Lamar most likely will have to take less to come back to the Lakers.

We had Jalen Rose on the show Wednesday, and he says that's exactly the way this is likely to play out. Jalen thinks the Lakers won't offer Lamar the original $10 million a year, but he will settle for less and return to LA. Under this scenario, his mistake of not taking the original offer could cost him millions. Of course, if he signs with another team, the most he's likely to get paid is the full mid-level exception of around $6 million a year. Jalen suggested that the new offer would probably be "around seven or eight million."

--By the way, the perception that Odom's agent, Jeff Schwartz, has been making this worse isn't necessarily true. I've had two different people tell me that Schwartz is a solid agent who has taken every offer seriously, and advised Lamar to do the same. I had one guy who told me, "I'm pretty sure Jeff advised him to take the deal...it's always the client's call."

--I said yesterday that I thought the percentage chance of Lamar returning to the Lakers was 70%. Everybody I talked to today said my number was too high, and "it's more like 50/50." I still think it's more than that, but not much. If I'm Lamar, the Lakers still give me the best chance to win, can pay me the most money, and play in the city where I want to live. I know there are other considerations, but none more important than those three.

In other words, I still think he's coming back, but the situation has changed.

http://stevemasonsmog.typepad.com/john_irelands_plog_710_es/2009/07/the-latest-on-lamar-odom.html

I'm just saying man,

all this #$!%%#! trouble & stress & fuss we're going through over Lamar better pay off

if he disappears/gets injured for an extended time after he gets inked
mad.gif
smh.gif

he better perform damn it

Yahoo's Top 9 Best Unrestricted Free Agents Left in NBA

1. Lamar Odom(notes)

We've been over why we think so highly of Odom. He's a stat machine whose best contributions often aren't picked up by the typical box score. Odom led the Lakers in plus/minus last year, not Kobe Bryant(notes). He scores, he rebounds at a high rate, he defends all comers, he runs an offense that many have trouble picking up. He might be 30, and the Lakers could win it all without him, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he is a special, special player.

The solution? The Lakers stop trying to act like tough guys, and give it up for the player who gave up big numbers last year to come off the bench and contribute to a championship.

2. Andre Miller(notes)

We've also been over where Andre Miller went wrong. He put up great stats in 2008-09, during a contract year, but his attitude wasn't always the best - whether the Philadelphia 76ers deserved his scorn or not. Miller turned 33 last spring, and though his 2008-09 averages of 16 points, 6.5 assists (to just 2.4 turnovers) and 5.5 rebounds are nothing to scoff at, there is a fear that he could drop off at any point.

The solution? Go safe, take the money from New York. And, if there's gas in Miller's tank, he can try the whole "act the good soldier in a contract year" bit with the Knicks, while working on a one-year contract.

3. Ike Diogu(notes)

Diogu at three? Is that a sign of just how slim the free agent pickings have gotten?

Hardly. This guy can play, he's just been stuck on a series of teams with a series of coaches that would prefer to value image (too small, too thick) over actual production (you know, the things you actually do on the court?). Unless you're a Michael Sweetney(notes) or an Oliver Miller, the overwhelming majority of NBA players' per-minute stats hold up, no matter the minutes. Diogu doesn't remind of Jack LaLanne, but he's hardly the type whose frame wouldn't hold up to 33 minutes. Pay, and then finally play, the man.

The solution? Chicago? Stop being cheap, offer the guy a minimum deal even if it creeps you closer to the luxury tax, and let Diogu and Tyrus Thomas(notes) fill out the holes in one's head with the bumps in another's. This involves the Chicago ownership, front office, and coaching staff making a sound move, all at once. Too much to ask, probably.

4. Von Wafer(notes)

He was undoubtedly a bit of a headcase toward the end of 2008-09, feuding with Rockets coach Rick Adelman, and this is probably why Wafer hasn't been re-signed by Houston. And with other free agent wings taking up residence in Cleveland, Boston, and Orlando (you got your Moons, your Marquis, your Barnes), Wafer's staunch refusal to take a deal above the minimum hurts his chances.

He averaged almost 10 points per game last year. He's not a minimum player. But when you walk out on your coach on national TV, in this economy? Deal with what you can get, Von Wafer.

The soluton? To Minnesota, for the minimum, to play nice and take dozens of shots on a team that entirely made up of point guards, power forwards, and Quentin Richardson's expiring contract.

5. Drew Gooden(notes)

He takes inefficient jumpers, his rebounding goes from tremendous to awful in the course of a week, he probably won't remember all the assistant coaches' names, and he doesn't play defense.

But Drew Gooden can score, he'll come cheap, and he's a good locker room guy to have around. And, if your starting power forward goes down with injury, Gooden can put up 12 and 7 in his sleep. And he sleeps a lot.

The solution? To Phoenix, who could use a player to start fast breaks, run a screen and roll, and play big forward with Amar'e Stoudemire(notes) at center.

6. Rasho Nesterovic(notes)

He was once a punch line, but the man delivering the punch line has now turned into a punch line, and doesn't really have a gig delivering punch lines about the NBA anymore.

Rasho will have a gig next year, because he deserves one. He's a damn good defender, something some NBA analysts would fail to realize when they decide to only look up blocks per game on their Blackberries, rather than watch the actual games. He can score with the floater, and would be a very good backup at a pretty cheap price.

The solution? To Houston. The Rockets can talk all they want about running and weaving in Yao Ming's(notes) absence, but they'll also need someone to defend the pivot, and not act like a Collins twin once the ball meets the center's hands on offense.

7. Leon Powe(notes)

Players usually don't come back from a second or third ACL tear very quickly, but I'm standing by my pronouncement that whatever team picks up Powe's medical bills right now will be very surprised with the beast they get next March. Powe should be back on the court well before then, he'll take a while to round into shape; and if the new team has a coach worth shouting about, then the Celtics will be very, very upset they didn't tender this guy the qualifying offer.

The solution? New York, you need scorers? You want someone to put up points for a year half a year before 2010? This is your guy.

8. Joe Smith(notes)

Same as it ever was. Defends, scores with either hand, hits jumpers, sets good screens, rebounds enough to deserve minutes. New team, every year, same professionalism.

The solution? I'm tempted to say Los Angeles, Orlando, Boston or Cleveland; so that Smith can finally grab a ring. Cleveland actually works, though, as the Cavs will need someone to work the baseline with Shaquille O'Neal(notes) in town.

7235. Allen Iverson(notes)

Doesn't want to come off the bench. Doesn't want to stop shooting. Doesn't defend. Doesn't work well with others. Doesn't want conform in any meaningful way (play with your jewelry on, for all I care, just stop taking 18-footers in transition). Doesn't want to take less money to play for a winner.

The solution? Congress, naturally.
roll.gif
@ Yahoo.

Originally Posted by djkaos23

y the hell did my homie just text me saying L.O. just re-signed with the lakers????
Because some people take anything they hear and accept it was truth.

laugh.gif
@ Iverson being the 7235 UFA.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Yahoo's Top 9 Best Unrestricted Free Agents Left in NBA

7,235. Allen Iverson(notes)

Doesn't want to come off the bench. Doesn't want to stop shooting. Doesn't defend. Doesn't work well with others. Doesn't want conform in any meaningful way (play with your jewelry on, for all I care, just stop taking 18-footers in transition). Doesn't want to take less money to play for a winner.

The solution? Congress, naturally.
roll.gif
@ Yahoo.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom