NBA Off-Season News Thread: Roy extends 80/5, AI to Grizz, Chandler/Okafor swap, Marquis to C's.

Hopefully some more news closer to the draft and some moves made on draft night. By anyone. I hate when nobody makes any moves in the offseason, makes it thatmuch more boring.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by PH3N0M3N0N

Originally Posted by travman24

Any rumors about my boy VC being moved?
No

No

Still No

Why don't you ask him?

Actually there were some rumors about him going to the Cavs. Seems like the Cavs are in the mist of a bunch of rumors but I doubt any thing happens until afterthe draft or draft night.

No Truth To Carter Trade Rumors
Carter_Vince_njn_090405.jpg

Jun 21, 2009 10:32 AM EST

njn_40.gif
Contrary to published reports, the Nets are not currently in talks to trade Vince Carter.

New Jersey spoke with Cleveland about Carter in mid-February, but those conversations have been dormant since then.

Carter is owed $33 million over the next two seasons, which is money that Nets owner Bruce Ratner would love to save. However, New Jersey doesn't feel as though they'd be able to replace Carter's production.

Via New York Post

New Jersey Nets

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Ainge Doesn't Anticipate Draft Night Deals[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:19 AM EST

bos_40.gif
Celtics president Danny Ainge doesn't expect to make any trades during Thursday night's NBA Draft.

"We have nothing close to happening," Ainge told the Boston Globe. "I would guess that there would not be anything [on draft night]. We like the free agent market of veteran players much more than we like the draft."

Ainge also commented on a number of wild trade rumors that have included guards Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen.

"I just assume all of them are jokes when I read some of the junk out there and some of the things involving us that seem invented out of the blue sky," he said.

Via Boston Globe

Boston Celtics

[h2]Thabeet Cancels Sunday Workout With Memphis[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 12:39 PM EST

mem_40.gif
Hasheem Thabeet canceled a pre-draft workout with the Grizzlies on Sunday because of a shoulder injury.

The Grizzlies didn't immediately say whether they would reschedule Sunday's session for later in the week.

Thabeet has almost universally been predicted as a top-three selection in Thursday's draft.

Via AP

Memphis Grizzlies, NBA Draft

Older Griffin Works Out With Jazz

Jun 21, 2009 10:45 AM EST

uta_40.gif
Taylor Griffin worked out for the Jazz on Saturday.

Blake, his younger brother, will almost certainly be the first player taken in Thursday's NBA Draft.

"I happen to be the sibling of the ... college player of the year," Taylor said.

"I can't be jealous of that. I mean, if it's anybody I'd rather it be someone in my family. That's how I look at it."

Via Deseret News

Utah Jazz

[h2]Lee: 'There's Already Been A Lot Of Interest'[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:41 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
Knicks forward David Lee says that he is already garnering a lot of interest on the free agent market.

"There already been a lot of interest," Lee said. "There's definitely a bunch of teams very interested. It's a matter of how serious that interest is and what the Knicks want to do about it."

Lee, a restricted free agent, is free to negotiate with other teams beginning on July 1.

"I know the Knicks want me to be here, they know I want to be here," Lee said. "It's a matter of how things shake out in the draft and what decisions they want to make not just for this year but 2010 as well."

Via New York Post

New York Knicks

[h2]Memphis Shifting Focus To Thabeet?[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:38 AM EST

mem_40.gif
The Grizzlies could use the second overall pick on center Hasheem Thabeet this Thursday.

Thabeet is widely considered a top-three pick, and the Thunder are expected to take him if the Grizzlies don't.

"He has an ability that's in short supply in basketball: To block and alter shots. He's a defensive presence," Memphis general manager Chris Wallace said. "When people cross that foul line they're looking for him. In today's game with the defense rules, no matter how good of a defender your perimeter players are, you're going to give up dribble penetration. Thabeet gives you someone on the back line who can deal with that dribble penetration."

The Grizzlies have already met with Thabeet twice, but a third meeting was canceled on Saturday as the center cited a shoulder injury.

Via Memphis Commercial Appeal

Memphis Grizzlies

[h2]Executive: Hedo Isn't Worth $11M[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:34 AM EST

orl_40.gif
One NBA executive doesn't believe that Orlando's Hedo Turkolgu is worth the $11 million that he is expected to demand on the free agent market.

"No disrespect to Hedo, but he's not consistent enough for the kind of money I expect he'll demand," an Eastern Conference executive told the New York Post. "He wants the ball with the game on the line and responds real well under pressure, but then he'll disappear for a game or two. That's all that's stopping him from becoming a perennial All-Star."

RealGM Note: Turkoglu was ranked 56th in season FIC and 'deserved' a salary of $10.13 million during the 08-09 season.

Via New York Post

Orlando Magic

[h2]Cavs Looking To Move Up For Three Players[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:27 AM EST

cle_40.gif
The Cavaliers are rumored to be interested in moving up into the middle of Thursday's NBA Draft.

Cleveland has the 30th pick, but they appear to be targeting a trio of players that will almost certainly go well before their turn.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer writes that general manager Danny Ferry is interested in Ty Lawson, Sam Young and Earl Clark.

A number of financially-strapped teams are believed to be shopping their first-round picks, which means that the Cavaliers might be able to purchase one for a few million on draft night.

Via Cleveland Plain Dealer

Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Flynn's Draft Stock Is Rising[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:21 AM EST

draft_40.gif
Syracuse point guard Jonny Flynn has seen his draft stock rise in recent weeks.

"He looks like he's ready to play now," an NBA general manager said.

RealGM Note: Christopher Reina has Flynn going to the Bucks with the 10th pick in his latest mock draft. Reina also considers Flynn to be the surest thing in the draft beyond Blake Griffin in terms of having a 10+ year productive career.

Click here to read RealGM's draft report on Jonny Flynn.

Via Boston Globe

NBA Draft

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]India Is NBA's Next Opportunity For Growth[/h2]
Jun 21, 2009 10:16 AM EST

nba_40.gif
The NBA is focusing on India as their next opportunity for global growth.

India has the world's second-highest population and features a fast-growing economy.

"Our goal is to make basketball the No. 2 sport in India over the next five years," said NBA director of international development Akash Jain.

Cricket is by far the country's most popular sport.

The NBA has been visiting India since 2006 when they sent a 10-member staff to look at facilities and meet with politicians, coaches and players.

"India is a significant emerging business and basketball opportunity for us," Jain said.

Via Boston Globe

General Basketball

[h2]Efes Lands Scoring King Rakocevic[/h2]
Jun 20, 2009 9:28 PM EST

euro_40.gif
Efes Pilsen has landed All-Euroleague First Team guard Igor Rakocevic, according to a report on euroleague.net.

Rakocevic, the two-time Euroleague scoring champion, averaged 18 points per game to run away with the Alphonso Ford Top Scorer Trophy for the highest average over a minimum number of games.

In 2008-09, Rakocevic's high shooting percentages across the board (50.7% 2FG, 39.8% 3FG, 89.5% FT) and his steady all-around game made him the third-ranked Euroleague player for the season as measure by the performance index rating.

Rakocevic, who carries the nickname 'the white Michael Jordan', last played in the NBA for the Minnesota Timberwolves in 2002-2003.

Via euroleague.net

Euroleague Basketball

WOW @ ALL THE CLEVLAND RUMORS....

At least LEBRON knows theyre making moves, im am dying to see what moves theyll make...

Lotta talk about the Trail Blazers in here ... didn't D Miles destroy their salary cap room. I thought if he played 2 games this year Portland would take ahuge salary cap hit?

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

Lotta talk about the Trail Blazers in here ... didn't D Miles destroy their salary cap room. I thought if he played 2 games this year Portland would take a huge salary cap hit?

I believe it was 10 games.

Is there any interest in the Memphis camp at keeping DMiles?
nerd.gif

If anyone cares about the Bobcats' pick, Terrence Williams and Gerald Henderson are being brought in for a second workout. T-Will just posted a picture onTwitter of M.J. at a restaurant here in Uptown Charlotte.

laugh.gif
I don't believe New Jersey and Cleveland aren't talking. Or at least haven't this summer. GMs are always saying teams aren't talking,it's a formality.

[h1]Celtics shop Rondo, Allen[/h1]
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 9 hours, 5 minutes ago

• Buzz up!
  • [h5]Print[/h5]

More From Adrian Wojnarowski

The Boston Celtics appear willing to make major roster changes to balance a chance for a championship run and future financial flexibility.

The Celtics offered Ray Allen(notes) and Rajon Rondo(notes) to the Detroit Pistons for a package that included Richard Hamilton(notes), Tayshaun Prince(notes) and Rodney Stuckey(notes), league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Boston general manager Danny Ainge and Detroit's Joe Dumars never spoke, but rather the Celtics had a lower-level executive make the pitch to a Pistons official over the past weekend, league sources said. Detroit immediately rejected the idea, and it never advanced to the two top executives speaking about particulars.

This isn't an uncommon occurrence for a GM like Ainge to dispatch an underling to make that kind of a call, if for no other reason to give the top executive some level of deniability that he's shopping his stars.

This isn't the first time that Allen, a six-time All-Star, has been mentioned in trade talks this summer. Allen, who will soon turn 34, has an expiring contract of nearly $20 million, for next season. Rondo, 24, a rapidly developing point guard, has been publically termed off-limits by Ainge in trade discussion this summer. Nevertheless, his name found a way into this conversation. Rondo averaged 11.9 points, 8.2 assists and 5.2 rebounds in the regular season, and had three triple-doubles in the Celtics' playoff run this season.

Boston is unlikely to re-sign Allen to a long-term extension next summer, and there is belief around the league that the Celtics have hesitancy about committing a long-term, expensive contract to Rondo.

There has been some friction with Rondo, largely based on maturity. No issues with him are insurmountable, but Ainge has never minded shopping ideas around the league. Nevertheless, it's hard to imagine a deal that Boston could do with these two players that would give them a chance to stay a championship contender around Kevin Garnett(notes) and Paul Pierce(notes).

For the Pistons, this deal makes little sense, unless they wanted to let Allen's expiring deal gain even more salary cap space for the free-agent class of 2010. The idea of trading his three best returners for an expiring contract and one good young player wasn't worth considering for Dumars, sources said.

laugh.gif
If Ainge would have been able to pull thatoff...
sick.gif

Originally Posted by The Natural Mystic

Boston without Rondo will fail in everything they do. I hate the Celtics but Rondo is a very important piece to their puzzle.
I seriously doubt that. If anything having a point guard that can shoot would make them even more dangerous. And having a Rip or Tayshaun come offthe bench? They'd run through the East if KG was healthy.

I honestly don't see why the Celtics seem to be so willing to part w/ Rondo.

I mean, like seriously. In that trade, how exactly are they upgrading their starting lineup?

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Boston without Rondo will fail in everything they do. I hate the Celtics but Rondo is a very important piece to their puzzle.
I seriously doubt that. If anything having a point guard that can shoot would make them even more dangerous. And having a Rip or Tayshaun come off the bench? They'd run through the East if KG was healthy.

Trust me they will fail because he is a pure point guard and a damn good one at that. He makes the game easier for everyone on that team. You don't tradesomeone who almost averaged a triple double in the playoffs, especially if he is that young.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

I seriously doubt that. If anything having a point guard that can shoot would make them even more dangerous. And having a Rip or Tayshaun come off the bench? They'd run through the East if KG was healthy.

Trust me they will fail because he is a pure point guard and a damn good one at that. He makes the game easier for everyone on that team. You don't trade someone who almost averaged a triple double in the playoffs, especially if he is that young.
At the same time, its a team filled with established veterans who know how to play the game. Just like they basically turned Rondo into a good PG,they can teach Stuckey the same. They might lose the vision that Rondo gave them, but individually Stuckey could possibly make them better along with Rip andPrince. I would like to see a Pierce / Prince guardforward lineup more than a Rip / Pierce. Imagine the defense of a frontline with Prince / Garnett / Perkins
sick.gif

The VC talks ARE happening. They just are doing the normal "we have not" crap that always goes on with GM's.

That trade seems to be more of a possibility than the Harris for #2 trade rumor that popped up. Although his stock is high right now after this season, I stillthink Devin can put those Numbers up again next season.

Someone in Memphis felt that the Nets thought Devin was a one year type player and that they will not see that again from him.

Carter to the Cavs has been discussed many times now and with Wallace possibly retiring, the trade becomes a straight salary dump on the Nets part (33.5million over the next three years.)

I think the Nets will be looking at deals but I think they want Twill at the 11th pick now. With the Bobcats guarantee to Twill to take him at 12, I think theNets are staying put unless they can move up.

That Boston deal would improve them not make them worse. Rondo is becoming a good player in this league but Ray is getting up their and the addition of Stuckywho seems to have fallen out of favor with Dumars in Detroit would make Boston a tough team especially with who is on their bench already. add Prince or RIPand that is a great 1st and 2nd unit.

Report: Celtics Offered Pistons Mega Deal
Rondo_Rajon_bos_090403.jpg

Jun 23, 2009 7:18 AM EST

bos_40.gif
The Celtics reportedly offered Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen to the Pistons for Rodney Stuckey, Richard Hamilton and Tayshaun Prince.

League sources told Yahoo! Sports of the deal, which reportedly never made it past lower level executives as Detroit rejected the offer immediately.

The offer was made this past weekend.

Via Yahoo! Sports

Boston Celtics, Detroit Pistons

[h2]Report: 13 Confirmed For Green Room[/h2]
Jun 22, 2009 4:53 PM EST

draft_40.gif
DraftExpress.com has confirmed a list of thirteen players that have been invited to attend the NBA Draft on Thursday night.

According to the web site, the following players will attend this week's events in New York City.

Blake Griffin, James Harden, Hasheem Thabeet, Ricky Rubio, Jordan Hill, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, Jonny Flynn, DeMar DeRozan, Jrue Holiday, Gerald Henderson, Brandon Jennings and Tyler Hansbrough.

B.J. Mullens, James Johnson and Eric Maynor could possibly attend as well.

Via Draft Express

NBA Draft

[h2]Raptors Face Draft With Uncertainty In Free Agency[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 9:36 AM EST

tor_40.gif
As the Raptors prepare for the 2009 NBA Draft, they must do so while not knowing which of their free agents will return to the club next season.

Shawn Marion, Anthony Parker and Jake Voskuhl are unrestricted free agents, while Carlos Delfino is a restricted free agent. Pops Mensah-Bonsu and Joey Graham will be unrestricted free agents if the team doesn't tender a qualifying offer by June 30.

"It's a little bit of a guessing game but we do have a strategy of what we're going to do in the free agent market," Raptors senior director of player personnel Jim Kelly said. "I'm sure as we get closer to the draft, maybe with trades or something else, well know if were going down the right path or not."

Via Globe and Mail

Toronto Raptors

Report: Bulls Want To Move Up For Henderson

Jun 23, 2009 9:17 AM EST

chi_40.gif
The Bulls have held trade talks with several teams about packaging the 16th and 26th picks into one higher selection, with two league sources insisting the target is Duke shooting guard Gerald Henderson.

"We've also had talks with teams about moving back," Gar Forman said. "And we've had talks with teams where either with one or both of our picks, we move out."

Via Chicago Tribune

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Holiday Looks Better In 2nd Workout With Knicks[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 9:09 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
The Knicks brought back Jrue Holiday for a second workout with the club on Monday.

"I just wanted to take a final look at him," Donnie Walsh said.

On Monday, Holiday played down the struggles in his first workout and said he was pleased that the Knicks invited him back.

"It makes it seem like they like me," he said. "They're interested in me, and if I get to the eighth pick, then they might take me."

By all accounts, Holiday performed much better in Monday's workout.

Via New York Times

New York Knicks

[h2]Wizards Walk Away From Proposed Amare Deal[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 8:20 AM EST

was_40.gif
The Wizards and Suns have discussed a trade that would send Amare Stoudemire and the 14th overall pick to Washington for Nick Young or Javaris Crittenton, salary fodder and the 5th overall pick. Two people familiar with the talks confirmed the report.

Phoenix also requested Caron Butler, which forced the Wizards to walk away.

Via CBSSports.com

Washington Wizards, Phoenix Suns

[h2]Knicks Look To Get 5th Pick, Then Trade 5th and 8th For 2nd?[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 7:58 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
Peter Vecsey writes that the Knicks "are angling to acquire No. 5 from Washington for Larry Hughes (but must take the expiring contracts of Mike James and Etan Thomas) and parlay the pick with No. 8 for No. 2."

Not everyone is convinced that Rubio's value justifies such a high price.

"Ricky has a big upside," a Western Conference coach concedes. "Nevertheless, he's very light, like Steve Nash only without the offense. He has no mid-range game, never gets to the free throw line and is a defensive liability due to his lack of strength and size.

"Ricky makes sense for a team loaded with great outside shooters, because he can make plays," the coach continued. "He would've been a perfect fit for the Suns under Mike D'Antoni, and he could play for him with the Knicks because they don't worry about playing defense.

"The reality is, teams are going to go at him defensively and play him soft . . . dare him to shoot from outside."

Via New York Post

New York Knicks, Washington Wizards, Memphis Grizzlies

[h2]Udoka Waits For News On Future With Spurs[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 7:28 AM EST

san_40.gif
Ime Udoka will be an unrestricted free agent on July 1, and is waiting to see if he has a future in San Antonio.

Udoka will be watching Thursday's NBA Draft closely to see if the Spurs select someone that could take his place.

A meeting with coach Gregg Popovich several weeks ago did nothing to clarify Udoka's future.

"At my end-of-season meeting with Pop, he told me it depends on what they do in the offseason," Udoka said. "I'll listen to all my options and opportunities and make a decision in the next couple of weeks about what I'm going to do."

He has made it known that his first choice would be to remain in San Antonio.

Via San Antonio Express-News

San Antonio Spurs

[h2]Sixers Could Select Maynor, Lawson At 17[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 7:23 AM EST

phi_40.gif
The 76ers don't have a point guard under contract, but Eric Maynor and Ty Lawson could be available in the middle of the first round.

Philadelphia general manager Ed Stefanski has made it known that he'll use the team's first-round pick, 17th overall, on a guard.

Incumbent starter Andre Miller will be a free agent this summer, and is expected to drew numerous offers on the market.

Via Philadelphia Inquirer

Philadelphia 76ers

[h2]LeBron Moves Camp From Akron To San Diego[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 7:13 AM EST

cle_40.gif
LeBron James has decided to move his King's Academy basketball camp from Akron, Ohio to San Diego.

The camp, scheduled for late July, moves from LeBron's hometown to the campus of UC San Diego.

"He's a guy who's a family guy, and he's a guy who needs a vacation in the offseason, so that's where San Diego came into the realm of possibility," said camp director Damon Haley.

Via ESPN

Cleveland Cavaliers

[h2]Warriors Assure Ellis He's Their Man[/h2]
Jun 23, 2009 7:10 AM EST

gsw_40.gif
The Warriors met with Monta Ellis recently to assure him that even if they take a point guard in Thursday's draft, he'll go into training camp as the starter.

Golden State is looking for Ellis to improve his passing and decision-making skills.

"Is he going to be John Stockton? No. We know that. It's not going to happen," general manager Larry Riley said of Ellis. "The reason you would take a point guard there would be that if his ability were to overshadow the other guy that might be there. I would go with talent. I think you stockpile talent."

Via ESPN

Golden State Warriors

If Boston would have pulled of that deal....

i been saying rondo isnt as good as prople on this board make him out to be, boston was a good system for him, take that system away and see what happens

sorta funny how me and oh boy made a similar trade in the "NT Draft" and people knocked it
pimp.gif
.....Ainge and I think alike

oh yea Terrance Williams on the bobcats would be
pimp.gif
.....I don't want Gerald Henderson because I see him being the same as Gerald Wallace....athletic, getto the hole, and can't shoot
smh.gif

I'm not saying Rondo isn't nice but I mean just last season he was the main concern about whether they could win given his inexperience...now he's"vital" to their success? I don't buy it. He's nice but he's certainly expendable on THAT particular team. I don't see howthey're in trouble if he's replaced with Stuckey and KG comes back healthy.

Originally Posted by mrtramericanjr

i been saying rondo isnt as good as prople on this board make him out to be, boston was a good system for him, take that system away and see what happens

You Can say tHAt. BUt I caN think of CErtainother plaYer people have Been sayIng the same Lame thing about and those peopLe are very qUiet now that this Player playS for another team.

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by mrtramericanjr

You Can say tHAt. BUt I caN think of CErtain other plaYer people have Been sayIng the same Lame thing about and those peopLe are very qUiet now that this Player playS for another team.

Well played....
pimp.gif

But I don't know if you can compare the two.

Back
Top Bottom