NBA/NFL Potential Lockout Thread For Dummies.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthattime

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

all i care about is a rookie pay scale in the NFL

this..

it's no wonder that some teams will always be bad.. if you miss on a top 5/10 pick (see jamarcus russell) it could haunt those teams for years.. it's almost a disservice to have such a high pick

sick.gif
@ the Lions with some of there past draft picks.

Originally Posted by BangDak

I'm not so sure about the NFL, but for the NBA i'll point out the important facts:

1. There's a possibility of a hardcap, which means that no one is allowed to go over a specific amount on the payroll. That means, no more "going over the cap limit to resign your own players" which would be a huge blow to teams like LA.
2. The max contract gets lowered, which means big stars get less money; aka Melo.

I'm sure theres a lot more effects, but ill let the more knowledgeable heads drop the bomb on the rest.
One reason why people are saying Melo was kinda dumb for passing that contract extension up, cuz he aint getting that money next year even if he says its not about the money. He aint winning nowhere else

Originally Posted by BangDak

I'm not so sure about the NFL, but for the NBA i'll point out the important facts:

1. There's a possibility of a hardcap, which means that no one is allowed to go over a specific amount on the payroll. That means, no more "going over the cap limit to resign your own players" which would be a huge blow to teams like LA.
2. The max contract gets lowered, which means big stars get less money; aka Melo.

I'm sure theres a lot more effects, but ill let the more knowledgeable heads drop the bomb on the rest.
One reason why people are saying Melo was kinda dumb for passing that contract extension up, cuz he aint getting that money next year even if he says its not about the money. He aint winning nowhere else

Originally Posted by Still1Rise

this..

it's no wonder that some teams will always be bad.. if you miss on a top 5/10 pick (see jamarcus russell) it could haunt those teams for years.. it's almost a disservice to have such a high pick

sick.gif
@ the Lions with some all of there past draft picks.

(besides the last 3 overall 1sts...lol)

Originally Posted by Still1Rise

this..

sick.gif
@ the Lions with some all of there past draft picks.

(besides the last 3 overall 1sts...lol)

Will the NBA get rid of Bird Rights under a new CBA? I know there will be a hard cap, but I've always liked that rule.

Will the NBA get rid of Bird Rights under a new CBA? I know there will be a hard cap, but I've always liked that rule.

There are a lot of reasons as to why there might be a lockout for both the NFL and the NBA.

NBA:

1. The NBA wants to create something called a "hard cap". Basically what they're trying to do is not let teams with already high paying payrolls be able to resign their own players and go over the cap. This will also discontinue the "Bird Rights" rule that all NBA teams use to resign players. Teams like L.A, Dallas, Miami and Orlando will be heavily affected by this new change.

2. The NBA also wants to lower the amount of max money a player can get as well. Not only do they want to lower the amount of money a player can potentially get, but they also want to reduce the number of years a player can sign for as well.

3. The owners want to do something similar the NFL in this aspect. After the Summer of 2010, a lot of teams like the Raptors and Cavaliers saw their franchise players walk away for nothing in return. They want to stop that from happening and do that they want to introduce something called a "Franchise tag". A Franchise tag essentially mean that a team that you're already playing for can "tag" you and you will not be able to sign with any other team for the next year or so. Including those stipulation, the team MUST pay the player who got tagged the average salary of the top 5 players in their position. I'm assuming in the NBA, they will just average out the top 10 contracts in the league.

4. The NBA is also trying to raise the age limit for entering the NBA. Currently the minimum age to enter the NBA is 19 years old or 1 year after High School. David Stern and the NBA would like to push the age up to 20 or 2 years after High School.

NFL:

1. The Owners and the NFL wants to start having an 18-game season. Some people think that this is a great idea, but in actuality the players HATE this idea. Not only does this put great pressure on the players body physically and mentally, it also "waters down" the NFL. More games only means that the towards the end, teams who already have their playoff seeds locked-on will "half-@+$" the rest of the way.

2. The NFL would also like to restructure the entire salary cap. Which means they would like to lower salaries from the players, but the players also want contracts with more guaranteed money involved.

3. The rookie pay scale right now is HORRIBLE. Some rookies are making more money right now than most veterans in the league.

There are a lot of reasons as to why there might be a lockout for both the NFL and the NBA.

NBA:

1. The NBA wants to create something called a "hard cap". Basically what they're trying to do is not let teams with already high paying payrolls be able to resign their own players and go over the cap. This will also discontinue the "Bird Rights" rule that all NBA teams use to resign players. Teams like L.A, Dallas, Miami and Orlando will be heavily affected by this new change.

2. The NBA also wants to lower the amount of max money a player can get as well. Not only do they want to lower the amount of money a player can potentially get, but they also want to reduce the number of years a player can sign for as well.

3. The owners want to do something similar the NFL in this aspect. After the Summer of 2010, a lot of teams like the Raptors and Cavaliers saw their franchise players walk away for nothing in return. They want to stop that from happening and do that they want to introduce something called a "Franchise tag". A Franchise tag essentially mean that a team that you're already playing for can "tag" you and you will not be able to sign with any other team for the next year or so. Including those stipulation, the team MUST pay the player who got tagged the average salary of the top 5 players in their position. I'm assuming in the NBA, they will just average out the top 10 contracts in the league.

4. The NBA is also trying to raise the age limit for entering the NBA. Currently the minimum age to enter the NBA is 19 years old or 1 year after High School. David Stern and the NBA would like to push the age up to 20 or 2 years after High School.

NFL:

1. The Owners and the NFL wants to start having an 18-game season. Some people think that this is a great idea, but in actuality the players HATE this idea. Not only does this put great pressure on the players body physically and mentally, it also "waters down" the NFL. More games only means that the towards the end, teams who already have their playoff seeds locked-on will "half-@+$" the rest of the way.

2. The NFL would also like to restructure the entire salary cap. Which means they would like to lower salaries from the players, but the players also want contracts with more guaranteed money involved.

3. The rookie pay scale right now is HORRIBLE. Some rookies are making more money right now than most veterans in the league.

Originally Posted by Kookcle

What about non-guaranteed contracts in the NBA will that work?

Probably for fringe guys but the union would be hell bent on giving up guaranteed contracts with established veterans.

Originally Posted by Kookcle

What about non-guaranteed contracts in the NBA will that work?

Probably for fringe guys but the union would be hell bent on giving up guaranteed contracts with established veterans.

this..

Agreed.

this..

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom