My Book Readers, Is The Kindle A Sound Investment? Vol. Dilemma

I can't speak about the Kindle, but I have a Nook Color and I love it.

For those of you complaining about the Kindle not handling .pdf flies well: I assume y'all are uploading the .pdf files from your computer. Download a program called Calibre. You can convert the .pdf file into your e-reader's default book format (I believe it is an ePub file).

Also, I have over 20 books on my Nook (mostly new releases). I've paid for one of them.
wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Kindle has a backlit unit yet. I think the cases for the Kindle come with a book light attached for night reading/reading in darker areas.

Originally Posted by tmay407

For those of you complaining about the Kindle not handling .pdf flies well: I assume y'all are uploading the .pdf files from your computer. Download a program called Calibre. You can convert the .pdf file into your e-reader's default book format (I believe it is an ePub file).

Also, I have over 20 books on my Nook (mostly new releases). I've paid for one of them.
wink.gif

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Kindle has a backlit unit yet. I think the cases for the Kindle come with a book light attached for night reading/reading in darker areas.
yo lemme ask u.....whats the point of the nook color? Isnt it a tablet then? Isnt the whole purpose of e-readers the e-ink so its easier on your eyes? 

wink.gif

yo lemme ask u.....whats the point of the nook color? Isnt it a tablet then? Isnt the whole purpose of e-readers the e-ink so its easier on your eyes? 

Go to the Library, free books at the expense of the tax payer. Plus when your done with it you can take it back, no need to keep it as a paper weight.

Go to the Library, free books at the expense of the tax payer. Plus when your done with it you can take it back, no need to keep it as a paper weight.

You can root the Nook Color and essentially turn it in to a cheap tablet if you want to do that. I have also heard that at some point, Barnes and Noble is supposed to be adding access to the Android app market (though B&N denies it at this point).

I wouldn't argue with you if you said that the Nook Color is more of a tablet than an e-reader. I think the only difference is that the Nook Color is designed more for working with eBooks than surfing the web, playing games, etc.

You can root the Nook Color and essentially turn it in to a cheap tablet if you want to do that. I have also heard that at some point, Barnes and Noble is supposed to be adding access to the Android app market (though B&N denies it at this point).

I wouldn't argue with you if you said that the Nook Color is more of a tablet than an e-reader. I think the only difference is that the Nook Color is designed more for working with eBooks than surfing the web, playing games, etc.

Hmmmmmm.  I enjoy reading in the evening, partly because it puts me to sleep.  This is disconcerting to a point.

Hmmmmmm.  I enjoy reading in the evening, partly because it puts me to sleep.  This is disconcerting to a point.

I went digital awhile back and I don't regret it for a second.  All you really have to do in order to make it worthwhile is to justify the cost of the device, and if you buy a lot of new releases you'll do that within the first few months - year depending on how many titles you'd purchase.  Prices vary by publisher and after a book has been out for awhile you can usually find a physical copy for cheaper, but digital does have its advantages and, these days, all other things being equal I'll pick up the e-book instead and here's why: 
1) You can search.  This was huge for me.  

I used to transcribe entire passages from books that I felt I'd refer back to later, simply because Windows would index that content and I could search by keyword or phrase through all of my notes and quotes.   

2) You can enter notes directly into the device.   

Before I owned a Kindle, I'd either take notes on my PC or with my phone.  With an e-reader, you have immediate access to all your annotations - without cluttering up a physical copy with marginalia or post-its.  

3) It's better for the environment.  

4) Your books are stored in the cloud, which, in addition to allowing you to access your entire library from a single device, also gives you access on multiple devices.  So, concerns like this one may be easily addressed:
Essentially, you only own those books forever if you keep the Kindle/Keep buying Kindle(s)[assuming they keep making newer models] but otherwise you eventually will lose those books

Even if you lose, damage, or sell your Kindle, you can still access your content on any computer or smartphone.  If you're stuck in a waiting room and you have the kindle app installed on your phone, you can easily download whatever book you're currently reading and sync to exactly where you left off last time.  
My next Kindle probably won't be a Kindle at all, but a tablet with a Mirasol display capable of running the Kindle app.  

As it stands, PDF support is basic, but functional with the Kindle 3 and DX2 - and the DX2 can display PDFs in their native resolution.  I can't tell you how sick I am of reading PDFs on a traditional monitor. 

I still use the library constantly, but there's always been a convenience factor in owning books you believe you'll reference from time to time, and e-books amplify that convenience since you can store - and search - your entire library in one portable device.  

I've received tons of books for free over the years, many from publishers, and obviously you can't knock that.  The question is: when it comes to PURCHASED content, would you rather own a digital copy or a traditional paper copy?  I'd rather buy digital for convenience alone. 
How is the battery life?  
They claim the Kindle 3 will run for about a month between charges (and a full charge takes about 3 hours), but the battery life is actually dependent on page turns, not time.  If you turn the wi-fi/3g off, use small text, and read slowly or infrequently, you may get more than 3 weeks out of it.  I turn the data access off unless I'm trying to sync or download new content and use the smallest text setting, but I still get less than two weeks per charge because I tend to read fairly quickly and frequently.  
The average person can take this on a long trip without needing to even bring the charging cable.  To me, the device paid for itself last fall when I spent a couple of weeks in Sydney.  The books required for the flights alone would've taken up enough space to fill a carry-on bag.  Instead, I could use a device that takes up less space than a magazine.  
For those who enjoy reading, do you miss purchasing/owning the paperback/hardcover?  The 3rd question may be the biggest sticking point for me.  I know the digital age is in full swing but there is still that sentiment to having books on your shelf, being able to pick them back up and just looking smarter than you actually are when people see them.
I've talked to people about this and most tend to agree that there's something ironically intangible about reading a tangible copy.  Many people consider the experience of reading a hardcover book nostalgic or romantic.  They like the act of turning the page.  They like the scent of the book.  They like that old books visibly show their age.  They like curling up with a real book.  I understand that, but for practical reasons I find that I much prefer the Kindle.  It's just plain better for storing, retrieving, and entering information than a physical book.  If you're a novel reader and you want to get swept up in the emotional aspect of reading as an immersive experience, I can understand that.  I primarily read nonfiction, so the type of interaction I'm interested in is more functional and that's what e-readers provide. 
As for using books as "trophies," the first and most obvious answer there is to get over it.  If you're just worried about impressing people, which, however understandable, is a little sad, then it's worth noting that 1) people will consider you far more impressive if you're able demonstrate mastery of an entire library without having to pull a book off a shelf and 2) having a library on your device can be "impressive" in and of itself.  I can't even tell you how many times I've been reading on a train, plane, or what have you and had someone ask me about the device.  (In my case, and I won't speculate as to why, it's almost always been women - if that's who you're interested in impressing.)  In the process of showing them the device and/or letting them play around with it, they can see what you've been reading and what you have stored.  

Seriously, though, I think it's a little silly to worry about how to use books as an ice breaker or to impress others.  When you have shelves full of books, you realize pretty quickly that they take up a ton of space.  

The biggest advantage to a physical book is that you can lend it to someone.  That isn't going away.  The lending feature on compatible devices (Nook has one, Kindle has something similar planned) is borderline useless.  You can only lend a book a certain number of times.  Usually when you said, "Oh, I wish I could lend that to you, but I already let so and so borrow it), that meant the copy was no longer in your possession.  Now, it could just be that you've exceeded your allotment, which is kind of ridiculous.  At the very least, your allotment should "recharge" over time, allowing you to lend your copy once per month or whatever.  

Of course, MP3s have the same problem relative to CDs and we got over that.  I tend to regard this the same way.  

I went digital awhile back and I don't regret it for a second.  All you really have to do in order to make it worthwhile is to justify the cost of the device, and if you buy a lot of new releases you'll do that within the first few months - year depending on how many titles you'd purchase.  Prices vary by publisher and after a book has been out for awhile you can usually find a physical copy for cheaper, but digital does have its advantages and, these days, all other things being equal I'll pick up the e-book instead and here's why: 
1) You can search.  This was huge for me.  

I used to transcribe entire passages from books that I felt I'd refer back to later, simply because Windows would index that content and I could search by keyword or phrase through all of my notes and quotes.   

2) You can enter notes directly into the device.   

Before I owned a Kindle, I'd either take notes on my PC or with my phone.  With an e-reader, you have immediate access to all your annotations - without cluttering up a physical copy with marginalia or post-its.  

3) It's better for the environment.  

4) Your books are stored in the cloud, which, in addition to allowing you to access your entire library from a single device, also gives you access on multiple devices.  So, concerns like this one may be easily addressed:
Essentially, you only own those books forever if you keep the Kindle/Keep buying Kindle(s)[assuming they keep making newer models] but otherwise you eventually will lose those books

Even if you lose, damage, or sell your Kindle, you can still access your content on any computer or smartphone.  If you're stuck in a waiting room and you have the kindle app installed on your phone, you can easily download whatever book you're currently reading and sync to exactly where you left off last time.  
My next Kindle probably won't be a Kindle at all, but a tablet with a Mirasol display capable of running the Kindle app.  

As it stands, PDF support is basic, but functional with the Kindle 3 and DX2 - and the DX2 can display PDFs in their native resolution.  I can't tell you how sick I am of reading PDFs on a traditional monitor. 

I still use the library constantly, but there's always been a convenience factor in owning books you believe you'll reference from time to time, and e-books amplify that convenience since you can store - and search - your entire library in one portable device.  

I've received tons of books for free over the years, many from publishers, and obviously you can't knock that.  The question is: when it comes to PURCHASED content, would you rather own a digital copy or a traditional paper copy?  I'd rather buy digital for convenience alone. 
How is the battery life?  
They claim the Kindle 3 will run for about a month between charges (and a full charge takes about 3 hours), but the battery life is actually dependent on page turns, not time.  If you turn the wi-fi/3g off, use small text, and read slowly or infrequently, you may get more than 3 weeks out of it.  I turn the data access off unless I'm trying to sync or download new content and use the smallest text setting, but I still get less than two weeks per charge because I tend to read fairly quickly and frequently.  
The average person can take this on a long trip without needing to even bring the charging cable.  To me, the device paid for itself last fall when I spent a couple of weeks in Sydney.  The books required for the flights alone would've taken up enough space to fill a carry-on bag.  Instead, I could use a device that takes up less space than a magazine.  
For those who enjoy reading, do you miss purchasing/owning the paperback/hardcover?  The 3rd question may be the biggest sticking point for me.  I know the digital age is in full swing but there is still that sentiment to having books on your shelf, being able to pick them back up and just looking smarter than you actually are when people see them.
I've talked to people about this and most tend to agree that there's something ironically intangible about reading a tangible copy.  Many people consider the experience of reading a hardcover book nostalgic or romantic.  They like the act of turning the page.  They like the scent of the book.  They like that old books visibly show their age.  They like curling up with a real book.  I understand that, but for practical reasons I find that I much prefer the Kindle.  It's just plain better for storing, retrieving, and entering information than a physical book.  If you're a novel reader and you want to get swept up in the emotional aspect of reading as an immersive experience, I can understand that.  I primarily read nonfiction, so the type of interaction I'm interested in is more functional and that's what e-readers provide. 
As for using books as "trophies," the first and most obvious answer there is to get over it.  If you're just worried about impressing people, which, however understandable, is a little sad, then it's worth noting that 1) people will consider you far more impressive if you're able demonstrate mastery of an entire library without having to pull a book off a shelf and 2) having a library on your device can be "impressive" in and of itself.  I can't even tell you how many times I've been reading on a train, plane, or what have you and had someone ask me about the device.  (In my case, and I won't speculate as to why, it's almost always been women - if that's who you're interested in impressing.)  In the process of showing them the device and/or letting them play around with it, they can see what you've been reading and what you have stored.  

Seriously, though, I think it's a little silly to worry about how to use books as an ice breaker or to impress others.  When you have shelves full of books, you realize pretty quickly that they take up a ton of space.  

The biggest advantage to a physical book is that you can lend it to someone.  That isn't going away.  The lending feature on compatible devices (Nook has one, Kindle has something similar planned) is borderline useless.  You can only lend a book a certain number of times.  Usually when you said, "Oh, I wish I could lend that to you, but I already let so and so borrow it), that meant the copy was no longer in your possession.  Now, it could just be that you've exceeded your allotment, which is kind of ridiculous.  At the very least, your allotment should "recharge" over time, allowing you to lend your copy once per month or whatever.  

Of course, MP3s have the same problem relative to CDs and we got over that.  I tend to regard this the same way.  

You heard it here first folks - Meth says that Kindle's help you pick up chicks.

You heard it here first folks - Meth says that Kindle's help you pick up chicks.

I bought my wife one for her b-day and she loves it. While I'm watching a game she is reading. She feels it is easier. She is an avid reader and has a large library but likes s the convenience of the kindle. The e-ink is so clear that when she first opened the package I thought there was a sticker on the screen.

I bought my wife one for her b-day and she loves it. While I'm watching a game she is reading. She feels it is easier. She is an avid reader and has a large library but likes s the convenience of the kindle. The e-ink is so clear that when she first opened the package I thought there was a sticker on the screen.

i have a kindle wifi and it's great. i find myself reading more often because i want to use the kindle more.

if you get one, i suggest getting the amazon cover for your kindle. the quality is amazing and its priced fairly. also, they offer a cover with a built-in LED night light so if you read often at night, you don't have to worry about sitting next to a light source.

i have a kindle wifi and it's great. i find myself reading more often because i want to use the kindle more.

if you get one, i suggest getting the amazon cover for your kindle. the quality is amazing and its priced fairly. also, they offer a cover with a built-in LED night light so if you read often at night, you don't have to worry about sitting next to a light source.

I'm not sure I could cop one. I see the benefits of it, but I think having books in digital form means that they lose a little charm. How is the kindle on people with poor eyesight?

I like physically owning books and I want a mini library in the house(s) that I'll eventually build in the years to come. Like kdawg, I generally don't buy books at full price. I've found some amazing stories and authors by rummaging around in sale bins that I would never have found, even with a search. I simply didn't know that they existed.

There should be more efforts for publishers to produce books out of recycled paper or find another source that is like paper and can do everything paper can but is eco-friendly.

I'm not sure I could cop one. I see the benefits of it, but I think having books in digital form means that they lose a little charm. How is the kindle on people with poor eyesight?

I like physically owning books and I want a mini library in the house(s) that I'll eventually build in the years to come. Like kdawg, I generally don't buy books at full price. I've found some amazing stories and authors by rummaging around in sale bins that I would never have found, even with a search. I simply didn't know that they existed.

There should be more efforts for publishers to produce books out of recycled paper or find another source that is like paper and can do everything paper can but is eco-friendly.

Back
Top Bottom