Moving to Chicago...and I need help finding a place to stay..!!!!

Just like it says...I am actually going out there tomorrow till friday to look at apt's. Anyone know of anything available??? $1000 per month, 1br...

hit me with any advise as to what neighborhoods I need to be in/avoid!!!!!

thanks in advance!

Rent varies in most places specially if you want to be in downtown area, there are plenty of nice places to live in that is close to downtown Chicago

You'll be hard pressed to find a 1br really in downtown for under maybe $1,200-1,400+. But very close in the south loop, west loop, or sort of near north(old town, lincoln park, lakeview) you could find 1br that would be quite nice for $1,000. More "downtown" would be like where I live in the goldcoast and pay roughly with all utilities included $1,000 a month for a studio with about 550 or so sq. ft. in an older building but has 24 hr doorman, gym,laundry, rooftop deck, etc. Similar to that would be places within the loop and neighborhoods like river north.

I went out there this weekend...found a few places...one on Aldine which was nice (1br, new kitchen, 1250 per moth with parking)....it seemed like every thingI was looking at seemed to be in Lincoln park and lakeview.....peeped a shoe box in the gold coast that was 1200 but way to small for me, but he neighborhoodwas super dope....

ran into a buddy who said his boy was moving out of a large 1br in old town, full rehab for 1300 per month.....great price but its on some friend of a friendwho dad owns a building or some story like that, I am not getting my hopes up....

Vic at leaders (thanks for the words of wisdom pimpin) said wicker park could work for me, but everyone seems to tell me different....

and to answer your question Mike, puma calls with a good opportunity for me to make some bread and it looks like i might have to go after it.....

^Wicker Park is cool neighborhood that has a lot going for it and is continuing to get better and better but honestly it always strikes me as sort of marchingto beat of different drummer. I have different perception of Chicago than a lot of people on here cause I've never had a car in Chicago and live in reallyin the heart of things, but wicker park/bucktown seems kinda off on it's own which in one way is cool and another way makes it seem foreign I suppose likeyou're the mix of a place that has mad ++## going on (not boring at all) but it is its own little world type of thing.

But yeah as for the Gold Coast you have to be familiar or adapt to living in a small space or it will feel OD cramp in virtually every apt in Gold CoastI've ever been in…

^Something like that.

But it's kinda of inflated because of certain areas. the Gold Coast really has two parts. Which aren't really separated totally but west of dearbornst. and south of about division it's more older buildings which probably at one point were condos or hotels are now apartments for rent mixed in with newercondominium (that aren't too wild expensive) and newer apartment buildings that are nice but nothing crazy. I mean virtually every apartment or condominiumbuilding the Gold Coast has doorman, gym, etc. most have pools either indoor, roof top, or outdoor, so there's not a bummy building around here unless yougo more that 2-3 blocks west of what's really the Gold Coast. But the Gold Coast is like the 2nd richest neighborhood in the US (People have always told me"richest neighborhood in the midwest") because of the Condominiums and mostly Townhouses on like Astor Street and Lake Shore Drive. The real oldmoney of the Gold Coast today is mostly cooped up north of Division, east of State st., and obviously south of North ave. in these 4-5 story Townhouses thatare like 8 figure homes and there one right next to the other so it's a lot of long and old money in a small space.

^ I plan on moving there someday either the gold coast neighborhood or Wicker Park. I really like the
vibe and life of the neighborhood when I go up there to shop. It's real hip and chill.

I'm not a huge fan of Wicker Park because its CTA service kind of sucks. Lakeview, Lincoln Park, and Wrigleyville all offer far more accessibility to therest of town, and Gold Coast obviously is close and wonderful anyways.

I'd say for a g, LP or Gold Coast is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom