Molly Aint That Bad: No Brain Damage From Ecstasy, New Research Shows

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/20/ecstacy-doesnt-damage-the_n_825704.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2011/feb/19/ecstasy-harm-brain-new-study

Contrary to long-held opinion, ecstasy, the popular rave-culture drug, may not harm your brain.

This is according to one of the largest studies ever conducted on the illegal drug's effect on cognition, published last week in the journal Addiction.

Though former studies have concluded quite the opposite about the drug (technical name 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine, or MDMA) there's been concern that these conclusions were overstated and reached through faulty methods.

The latest research, a $1.8 million study funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), set out to correct these methods by eliminating all other factors that could possibly contribute to mental impairment: 1) sleep deprivation and dehydration commonplace in rave culture, 2) previous habitual drug or alcohol use, or 3) former cognitive damage for any reason.

After screening subjects for these factors (even testing hair samples to make sure they weren't lying about drug use) researchers whittled down the initial pool of 1,500 people to just 52 cognitively clean subjects, the Guardian reports.

John Halpern, lead researcher from the Harvard Medical School team, told Addition:

Researchers have known for a long time that earlier studies of ecstasy use had problems that later studies should try to correct. When NIDA decided to fund this project, we saw an opportunity to design a better experiment and advance our knowledge of this drug.
Ecstasy is most commonly associated with the 1980s and 90s rave scene -- all-night dance complete with strobe lights and glow sticks to enhance the drug's effect. Ecstasy's symptoms include a feeling of euphoria, a heightened sense of intimacy and pleasure, and decreased anxiety. Negative side effects include blurred vision, and in rare cases overdoses can be fatal.

The common understanding, and certainly the argument from the anti-drug camp, has been that ecstasy can cause memory loss, pose a serious brain damage risk, and have long-lasting effects on behavior.

Researchers are quick to point out that despite the study's conclusion, ecstasy is still a dangerous drug. The illegal pills have no warning labels, and can contain a number of harmful contaminants.

Studies have also looked into MDMA-assisted psychotherapy as a possible treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). The idea is to provide at least a brief experience of what life feels like without the aftermath of trauma, to provide a state in which learning can occur.

Molly is pure MDMA. X was actually pretty safe when it started out in therapy. It going underground messed up the purity

Last edited:
Had a good New Years with Molly was my first time with her.. Would go out again with her...

MDMA itself its anywhere near as harmful as most media suggests it is - and has been used in studies to help those with a variety of mental illnesses quite effectively. The issue is with the purity of things that are sold as "molly" when in reality, its cut with a ton of other trash that is actually terrible for your health. Think of it in terms of Mcdonalds getting away with selling their patties as filet mignon, and the customers eating it 3 times a week thinking its healthy meat.

the "molly" people are getting today is usually MDA or methylone. either way, it is a lot safer than what ecstasy used to be. like the dude above me said, what it is cut with makes ecstasy dangerous, not MDMA itself

The idea that E caused brain damaged was debunked by German researchers years ago. The US practically ignored the findings in order to keep it illegal.

But whether you're talking MDMA or Ecstacy, you have to take into the account the current popularity of these substances. Producers and dealers are putting out poor versions of both, mixed with additives (that can be harmful in the long rub) for the sake of having more to distribute.

The 2 times I took molly I had an AMAZING night.

That was over a year ago, would love to take it again for the right occasion, but finding clean/pure MDMA is what worries me. Not that I've really tried. But it was one of those things where my friend had some, so I did it.

The 2 times I took molly I had an AMAZING night.
That was over a year ago, would love to take it again for the right occasion, but finding clean/pure MDMA is what worries me. Not that I've really tried. But it was one of those things where my friend had some, so I did it.

Pretty much what's stopping me. Been wanting to roll since '11 but the opportune moment never presented itself back then. Now a days it's so common that I know what dudes are pushing is not pure MDMA. :smh:

Every time I've tried molly it's been good quality. But I have a good connect so I'm not just going to some random dealer.

I'm sure I will get burned eventually with some foot powder or vitamin b12 or some ****

drugs are bad regardless doe
alien.gif

Everything in moderation. 

Last edited:
^Put it in the "loud"? Please tell me people aren't actually dumb enough to think they can smoke MDMA..

Last edited:
no study ever said it caused brain damaged, there were conflicting and unreliable sources. :rolleyes

molly isn't ecstasy, it's an ingredient in ecstasy

and there is no such thing as ecstasy. it can pretty much be everything and anything as long as it has some mdma in it.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that if you take MDMA too often, it is easy to become depressed, due to your brain not producing seratonin naturally and relying on the drug.

^ and from where did you jump to that conclusion. its not producing or damaging anything, its just using up what you already have in you a lot faster.

you will get depressed a day or two after while it rebuilds.

one thing i must say though, is the wave the following week of small intense random happiness :smokin

Back
Top Bottom